My high E sounds dead on a few guitars

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by edwarddavis, Jul 19, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

I have two guitars that the high E sounds dead. Even fretted . Could it be the saddle, neck adjustment , no buzzing just dead sounding , both are single coil guitrs ones p90 , could it be the poles are set up wring nad how would I fix that . Love the guitars but I want to fix them.
    any help wpuld be great !!!:AOK

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I've had that happen, and it turned out to be an incorrectly cut nut.

3. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

bad string or pups too close to the strings.Make sure the height adjustment screws on the bridge are both solidly touching the plate.

If it is happening when fretted I think the nut is not as likely the issue but it could also be an issue along with any of the other things.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  4. wavey63

wavey63 Member

Shouldn't be the nut as it is doing it when fretted. How do you mean dead? Low volume, no tone. I would say that no volume would be perhaps the way the amp you are using is set for tone. Could also be the way the string is aligned with the pickup poles. Also look to see if they are older strings that there is no oxidation or anything else to impede vibration. Good luck cuz it could be a million things.:phones

5. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Member

I have the same issue on a partscaster.
    Feels like a difference in tone and volume on that one particular string (high E).
    Should the nut slot be a little wider?

6. edwarddavis

I guess if its still happening fretted its not the nut , the nut should only effect the sound on a open string right?

7. K-man

K-man Member

If it happens when fretting notes, then I would check your pickup height (could be too close to the string), neck relief, dead string, or problem with the saddle.

8. edwarddavis

9. edwarddavis

I do get that phasing sound on it as well if that gives anybody a clue

10. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Phasing sound..that does make it seem that the pole piece is too close...it can cause some note cancellation and also effectively stop the string from vibrating freely.

11. mike80

mike80 Member

+1

Lower the pickups and see if that helps out any. It sounds as if they are too close to the strings.