My "history" with old Ampeg amp: 1966 -> 2020.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Feb 18, 2020.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I visited my brother in FL this weekend. While there I looked at his bar mitzvah photo album from 1966. I likely hadn't seen in in 40+ years. The first picture below is from that album and is a photo of me at 8 years old singing with the band.

The second picture is of my recent amp purchase (and amp I play most at present). It's from 1967,

They're not the same exact model - mine's a Reverberocket 2 and the amp from 1966 is (I thinkn) a Gemini II - but close enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FbIsNotE, ggwwbb, Leonc and 4 others like this.
  2. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

were they using the amp as a PA for the mic? Cool pictures

Cousin likes this.
  3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Looks like it. Frankly I don't even remember singing there.

Cousin and zenas like this.
  4. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Love the old Ampeg Amps. I picked up a 60s Rocket (no reverb) locally, for a few hundred bucks. It’s incredible.

TGPs own Mark Norwine @mark norwine helped to service the inside (a few questionable mods had been done) and hook me up with some ANOS tunes to boot.

It’s just one of those amps I’ll never part with. Sounds so unique, and takes drive pedals incredibly well.

zenas, Cousin and wrxplayer like this.
  5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I adore old checkerboard Ampegs...and I especially love the Reverberocket II GS-12R. Just such a perfect sound....like a more-melodic deluxe reverb.

I have one that I kinda pumped up a bit with bigger Edcor iron, it generates about 35W, but maintains the tone 100%. It would be my #1 gigging amp...if I still gigged :)

Nick: when are you going to come on down & let me teach you how to wind pickups? Call me sometime...ok?

zenas, Cousin and wrxplayer like this.
  6. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

When I just started playing a much older kid than me across the street had one of those.

Wettest reverb I ever heard!

Cousin likes this.
  7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

It's nice to have that old photo and the fact that, at that age, you knew nothing about the Gemini II you were singing out of. I'm a big fan of old Ampegs. My favorite is the top loaded Reverberocket, specifically the last two models; the R12-R-M and R12-R-T.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    zenas, Cousin, wrxplayer and 2 others like this.
  8. TheMemoryEstate

TheMemoryEstate Member

I had a 62 with the 6v6’s and a tube rectifier, now I have a 64 that I like much better, it’s like the 62 only punchier sounding for these old Ampegs.

zenas, Cousin and slider313 like this.
  9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

My first amp was an Ampeg VT-40, which I bought in the summer of '72. That was promptly stolen about a year later. I had one other amp at that point (an early blond bassman) but I stumbled into an amp just like yours--a mid-60s Reverb Rocket 2--and picked it up for a song. The "blue checks" were out of favor at that point. I kept it and used it in the studio for years. Here's a photo from about '81 or so in my band's studio with my pimped out '68 LPC and late 60s Tele. It had a blue CTS alnico speaker that had such a unique voice! I'd typically just dime the amp use it for really overdriven stuff. Such a unique sound!

[​IMG]

zenas, Cousin, ggwwbb and 2 others like this.
  10. sideman

sideman Member

flip tops!

Cousin likes this.
  11. el duderino

el duderino Supporting Member

Man, that is a CLEAN Reverberocket! I have a ‘66 Reverberocket that is my favorite amp. I really want to pick up one of the early 60s top loaders.

wrxplayer likes this.