My home made pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I got a piece of plywood, some C channel and a couple of drawer pulls at the hardware store and a scrap of carpet for the top. Glued it down with Gorilla glue, man that's some nasty stcky stuff and it keeps growing as it sets up. I had to keep wiping it off at the edges but the carpet is on there for good. Velcro sticks good and moving the pedals is easy. You've all seen the pedals before but this was a cheap easy way to build a board I though might interest some of you. I spent about $20.00.
    [​IMG]

2. pfindeis

pfindeis Member

nice job. i have to make one and never thought of using channel.

pete

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I used a Wal Mart miter box to cut the C channel. Worked great. I wish I'd got channel wide enough for the carpet to go under it. The board would have looked more "professional".

4. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

That looks cool, I think I have most of the parts...But what is C channel?

5. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Aluminum channel they sell at hardware stores that's shaped like a C or more like [ you put it around the edges for strength and a place to attach the handles.

6. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Jake, was the glue the only thing that is keeping together?? No screws?
    Do you have any more pics... side, front, underneath, etc... You thinking about a lid with hinges or some kind of bag to carry it around??? Man..... That is a cool board! For 20 bucks?????

7. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The two side edges also have the handles screwed threw them and glue is holding the top, bottom and carpet on. That Gorilla glue is some kind of strong! I've just been carrying it by the handle, the pedals don't fall off. I only use it at church so i don't need a bag.

8. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

The ply is only 1/8 thick too. Some rubber feet on the bottom, black paint.

9. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My camera is messing up the pink and blue isn't really there.

10. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

I bought a flimsy CNB medium pedal case from Rondo Music Online($35) ripped out the liner and the underlying cardboard and used contact cement ($3) to glue in a 1/2" peice of ply cut to fit ($5). Again using contact cement ($3) I glued down a cut-to-fit dark grey utility rug/doormat ($3) from target. I tested the rug at the store with some velcro to make sure it worked. Now I have a really solid pedal board with matching case for about $50. Here's what the original board looks like. They also sell smaller and larger sizes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

Man... You guys inspire me!!! Just the coolest, Jake! Great ideas, Fr8!
    Thanks!!!

12. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Nice setup. Clean neat and simple. My kinda rig.

Scott

13. singular

singular Member

thats great work,i actually just built one the other day too using plywood that was lying around the house,i figured id try my hand at making one first before buying one,used a carpet tile for the floor,and put an edge around the sides and back,i really should add some drawer handles to the sides.but great work again man

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I'm thinking about building a board that will fit inside a Rondo case. Even though mine is thin, it's still strong and you can't beat Rondo's price on a box.

15. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I spent a little more money (say $30) and a lot more time, and came up with this

[​IMG]

I've already posted the pic in the big pedalboard thread, but I'm so proud of it I thought I'd boast about it some more:D
    Here's another pic that shows the output and DC jacks.

[​IMG]

16. jrm

jrm Member

how did you wire that output jack? I'd love to that to a board... wire an input jack and an output jack. I know nothing about wirng so this is all a learning experience for me!

17. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Very Nice indeed! Where did you get the right angle barrel connectors? I've never been able to find those. Mouser part #?

18. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

It's a simple barrel type jack. I soldered 4" of Canare cable to it and covered the solder ends with shrink wrap. The other end of the cable is soldered to a Switchcraft plug that goes into the output of the Dynaverb. Input is exactly the same, except the plug goes into the StroboStomp input. The DC jack is the same as used in many pedals. I cut the jack off a 1Spot daisy chain and soldered the wires to the jack. I drilled the holes in the side for the jacks to be a very tight fit and just pushed them in. If they should come loose I'm going to glue them tight.

Cheers,

Johan.

19. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

20. jrm

jrm Member

that's fantastic. I really liek that feature. I've never soldered jacks together in my life.. looks like I'll need to learn. Unles... do you know anywhere that sells cables like that premade? Again, great board.