My homemade pedalboard project

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Digitalman, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

I was going to hold off on posting this until my board was fully populated, but I'm only waiting on one pedal. I'm also bored today, so here goes...

Obviously the TPG is a wealth of pedalboard knowledge and I've gleaned countless ideas from you guys. I've waded through the mighty pedalboard thread and that provided basically all of the research material that was needed. The threads by Den and Selavie here in particular were the most insightful. Pumaboards and Trailertrash were my biggest influences and if I wasn't into building things and coming up with projects in general, they'd be the first I'd turn to.

So, I'm a designer / CAD guy, it's what I've been doing professionally for the past ten years. I work for an A/V company that does automated home systems and fancy theaters, etc. Most of the time I'm posting on the TPG, I'm taking a break from drawing stuff. So that's where the project started...all mistakes are made in the computer, before I fire up a saw.

[​IMG]

The first thing was the case I found for $20 at Lowes. The whole point was to build it for cheap, so I figured out how to arrange my pedals inside of a 17" wide and 12" deep footprint. I only have six, so I wasn't shooting for anything major. I liked the wedge idea, because you can route the wires underneath. Plus I think it's a little more ergonomic. After all the CAD was done - I built a mock up out of foam core and placed all my pedals on it to be sure it felt OK. I've never been one to jump around a lot when I play, so my toe tapping is pretty calculated. I knew they'd be packed in tight.

[​IMG]

The materials were pretty straight forward - 1/2" cabinet grade plywood - 1/4" for the bottom - some screw on feet - 1/2" aluminum angle - some cool drawer pulls - velcro supplies from Stomping Ground - and some brushed aluminum sheet metal to cover it all with. I dig the Tolex thing, but I wanted it to be more rugged. I've seen many Tolex tears over the years. Plus, the entire board looks like it's made from metal. The box was screwed, glued, puttied and sanded. Then I cut the sheet metal (with tin snips) to fit and used laminate glue to attach it. Pretty much like working with veneer. The angle was cut and drilled - and installed after I spray mounted the loop fabric, so it would overlap the edges. To mount the loop fabric - I used 3M 'Super 90' - it's some strong stuff and holds it down well. I drilled all the holes for the wiring before I mounted the loop fabric, then I just cut little slits where the holes were.

And that was pretty much it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course - wiring it up is the best part. I got George Ls from Stomping Ground and right angle power cables from Parts Express, as well as the Neutrik jacks. I cut my PP2 cables in half and crimp connected them to the RA ones. The only soldering invloved was connecting the George Ls to the Neutriks, it was much easier than I thought it would be. I made my George L connections one at a time and checked them, there were no problems in that department either. I left the corner blocks recessed to recieve the 1/4" bottom and the screw on rubber feet hold it in place.

[​IMG]

And the humble collection, fairly utilitarian. Most of the time I play clean. As much as I hang around here and love talking about pedals...I'm not really all that much of an effects player.

The space is reserved for my TIMMY - which from what I gather should be right around the corner...it'll be sweet.

One cool thing about how the setup worked out, is that I can engage chorus and reverb from the H2O and the HG in a single stomp...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyways - Thanks for all the inspiration ya'll, I enjoy hanging out around here and have learned a hell of a lot. I've been playing for 27 years now and never had the inclination to build a board for my pedals, till I found TPG. The only problem is.........I have plans already to pretty much replace every pedal on my board. And I just finished the damn thing! :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Abram4235 likes this.
  2. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

One thing I wanted to add, because it comes up often is the input jack soldering with George Ls...

You strip them like this - the tiny center conductor is the hot - the braided shield is twisted up and goes to ground...

[​IMG]

And then a close up of the soldering connections...

[​IMG]

Abram4235 likes this.
  3. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

That looks awesome man.

4. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Stinkin cool. Great job. I wish I has the skills.

5. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills.

I love the board too! Great design -- where did you get the case?

6. Jacobpaul81

Jacobpaul81 Member

You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills...

Nice Board man, can't wait to show off my finished product.

7. marcusprice

marcusprice Member

very nice job, friend.

one question, why not put the pedal power underneath?

Abram4235 likes this.
  8. soulcall

soulcall Member

You are an inspiration for me to get off of my #ss and make my own. It's the only way to get exactly what you want.

9. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Thanks guys. I'd have finished it earlier, but I spent most of this summer hunting wolverines with my uncle...they kept attacking my cousins, what the heck would you do?

I didn't put the PP2 underneath for a couple reasons. The case (which I bought at Lowes for $20) wasn't deep enough to allow for it. 'Pumaboards are 2 3/4" in front and mine's 2". If you look at the section view up there, see the knobs on the H20 & HG were tall. Those 2 pedals are way over sized IMO, they'll eventually be swapped for a RS chorus and a T - rex Replica. ALso, I have the room for it on top - so it was sort of a 'line in the sand' as well...I don't want too many pedals in my signal in my chain anyway, and this footprint kept me in check. For my playing style, I don't really incorporate more than - High-Med-Low OD/Boost > Mod > Delay.

Like most of you guys, I'm sure, I've got boxes in the closet with tried and retired pedals. The pedals themselves consistantly revolve, but the basic signal chain remains and has never really grown beyond 4 or 5 at a time. This one was designed around my current chain, but before I even finished it I wanted an Eternity to replace the OCD - and a Super Chili Picoso to replace my SD Booster. Ya'll know how that goes...

So, really quick - I wanted to give a thumbs up with this gratuitous shot to our man - Lavaman...thanks for the cables.

[​IMG]

10. erksin

erksin Member

Really nice build...

11. selahvie

selahvie Member

Great Job! Makes me want to build another one... :)

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

That's a very nice board man, looks really clean with lots of attention payed to functionality and design.

Make me one! :)

13. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Thanks guys...

I was wondering if anybody that has an Eternity could help me out with the dimensions of the pedal, I'd rather not bug Sean with it till I'm ready to order. It's the next one planned for the board, other than Timmy - and I'd like to see how it will fit.

Yeah, as it is, I've planned it with old pedals...so I'm ready to build another one (a bigger one) and use this one for the others that I don't use as often. Or give it to a friend. Thanks for the awesome pedalboard thread, I took some good tips from you man...thanks. :AOK

14. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Sweet.

What did you use to hunt the wolverines with?

15. Den

Den Member

Great job! Excellent design ... I love clean and neat like that ... class!

Glad my project was some inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Maybe you should christen it as the "Wolverine Board".

16. cultureofgreed

cultureofgreed Member

That pedalboard is absolutely perfect! :Spank

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

nice job. my homemade board is just a ''22 x ''18 piece of lumber painted black.:messedup ill post a pic in the '' Post Your Pedalboard Thread '' when my KR Megavibe and Barber Direct Drive get here.:AOK

18. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Well, you know...it HAS to be, doesn't it?:rolleyes:

Thanks.

19. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Here's a wire frame rendering I did in 3D studio...

[​IMG]

And here's an update with all the latest pedals...

[​IMG]

Timmy just completely RULES.

Abram4235 likes this.
  20. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member