• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My HS80Ms are too big for my desk

richpjr

I have had these for a couple of years and been quite happy with the sound I get out of them. I mostly use them with S-Gear, listening to music and very occasionally some very light mixing. But overall, they just take up too much room. The way my home office is laid out, I don't have room to put them on stands, so I'm toying with alternatives. The office is about 12x14. I could get a smaller set of monitors and perhaps a sub to replace them. Or I could go the computer speaker route for listening to music and pick up a PA speaker for use with S-Gear that could be positioned elsewhere in the office. The latter is kind of appealing as a wider dispersion area would be nicer than near field monitors. I am not really up on PA speakers these days and wonder what I'd need to meet or exceed the HS80Ms for modeling (I don't want to take a hit in sound quality doing this). I'd really prefer not to sink CLR money into this if I can help it.

Any suggestions?

Wildwind

Bought a pair of speaker stands on a Stupid Deal a couple of years back (they were just featured again a few days ago). $50. Very nice and made a huge difference on my desk. Plus it takes care of them coupling with the desktop. I did grab a pair of Auralex foams and use those as well.

mwc2112

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, speaker stands made a world of difference for these speakers with regard to desk space.

French Fry

I was in the EXACT same situation.
I had a pair of HS80M setup in my home office and plugged into a little yamaha mixer for all things audio.

When I moved, my new home office just didn't have the right configuration for them.

So being the yamaha junkie that I am, I sold the HS80's and got a package deal on the HS50s with the yamaha sub, I forget the model number.

I've been very happy with the HS50's and I don't miss the bigger ones at all. The 80's could get louder, but I'm sure I can damage my hearing just fine with the 50's.

If my setup had the room, I'd got back to the 80's and ditch the sub, not for sound quality, but just to have a simpler setup.

Hope that helps.

French Fry

I should add that 90% of the time, I'm playing my AxeFX through the monitors.

When I need to really test/tweak for a gig, I bring in my RCF wedge monitor. Most of the time the only thing that needs adjusting is relative volume and reverb levels.

3dognate

You surely didn't expect a pair of 8" studio monitors to be desktop friendly did you?

Stands or smaller monitors...

Stands are great because they aren't coupled to your desk or walls and can cut some boomy resonances out.

richpjr

You surely didn't expect a pair of 8" studio monitors to be desktop friendly did you?

Stands or smaller monitors...

Stands are great because they aren't coupled to your desk or walls and can cut some boomy resonances out.

I had the monitors before my current office setup. Love the sound, just need a bit more desk space these days.

csweet08

I have The newer HS 7s and I love em. Smaller footprint and perfect amount of bass response for guitars

Trending Topics

Top Bottom