My interesting Reverb experience selling an old Tube Screamer (feat. Fake Joe Perry)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Andres6and8, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

So, the other day, I listed an '81 Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer (R) with its rare chip on Reverb.com (a chip that's far less common than the JRC 4558D for that era).

Lo and behold, I get an offer on the pedal for a whopping $50, which... well, let's just say the guy was asking for a discount that just isn't really given. I'm not sure the term "low ball" even applies here.

So, I decide to provide a tongue-in-cheek response. I counteroffer with my original price, but one dollar higher, so indicate that I have no problem joking around if that's what he wants to do.

He counters that immediately with $51.

I realize that this can go on for some time, so I politely turn down his offer with the message "sorry, but serious offers only." He responds, saying "I am serious, sir." His username reads "Joseph Pereira" and he's from a town in Massachusetts. "OK," I thought. "Maybe he's confused about the originals vs the reissues." I politely explained to him that he must be thinking of the reissues, and that it's rare someone would list a reissue for $50, an offer of $50 might work for a reissue. I also told him to research the prices himself- he won't find an '81 TS808 in the condition I was selling for 10x his offer.

He responded a minute later, telling me that I should do my own research- Tube Screamers listed at $700 weren't selling on Reverb. He then told me to "look him up."

Curious, I decided to search "Joseph Pereira" on Facebook. I saw few results, but the only one from Massachusetts was a young gentleman who had just begun studying at Harvard Medical School. He didn't fit the profile of a bullsh***er.

I responded "Why should I look you up?"

"If you don't know who I am," he tells me, "then you don't know guitar..."

I have many pet peeves, but none of them bother me as much as someone who uses ellipses incorrectly. If you have nothing more to add beyond your "...", then say it. Otherwise, just end your dribble with a period. You're done talking. Signal as much. If you think the "..." is inducing silence, it's not one that makes your rhetoric look meaningful.

I digress.

I googled "Joseph Pereira guitar" and found the Wikipedia entry for "Joe Perry." Apparently, the Aerosmith cofounder is Portuguese by descent (I didn't know that) and his family's name before they immigrated was "Pereira."

"Haha, what, you’re Joe Perry? I didn’t think someone with Joe Perry’s political philosophy would look for handouts. At $51 that’s just what you’re looking for."

Silence for a few minutes.

"Well I bought one for $50" he says, and includes a picture of a Paypal transaction from Reverb, where the original asking price for an old '81 TS808 was $1150+$25 shipping and the seller accepted $50+$25 shipping. Unfortunately for the scammer, the name of the seller was visible. I reached out to the alleged seller and instead found another Reverb user who was lowballed and subsequently harassed by "Mr. Pereira" when he didn't go for the $50 offer. The image of the Paypal transaction was forged, as the seller still had the '81 TS-808 for sale. I reported him to Reverb and didn't quite buy the Joe Perry story.

So, um... beware of "Joseph Pereira," I guess, hah.

Jimmy R, Mr Analog, Riffa and 51 others like this.
  2. Teleman76

Teleman76 Supporting Member

That Joe Perry, what a cheapskate lol

3. lendryesky

lendryesky Member

I wonder if he was trolling or just acting like a dipshit. I'm guessing the former. NOt that to two are mutually exclusive.

4. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I'm going to burn all my Aerosmith records.

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

F’n Reverb, yeesh.

6. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

My message to him would’ve been:

Walk this way:

[​IMG]

walkthewalk, Kwikrp, Lt Dak and 64 others like this.
  7. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Same. This really puts a bad taste in my mouth for Aerosmith and Reverb. Ugh, so done.

8. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Silver Supporting Member

9. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

Hah, I appreciate the responses (and funny Aerosmith references), but there's good reason to think this wasn't the real Joe Perry to begin with- just a scammer looking to make an easy several hundred bucks. Whoever the user "Joseph Pereira" is, proceed with caution.

Dale and mcuguitar like this.
  10. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

Hmmmm.....

drifterphase and Sean413 like this.
  11. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Homeboy might be short a few Toys in the Attic...
    (NOTE: Ellipsis used for dramatic effect. :D)

12. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

Thinly veiled spam thread is not interesting.

keenan and _____ like this.
  13. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

I think you have the wrong thread.

art_z, niassist, Bodhisattva and 5 others like this.
  14. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

No reason to think it's the real Joe Perry, any more than my real name is Samuel Xavier.

Gevalt and Andres6and8 like this.
  15. doghouseman

doghouseman Member

I am guessing the Harvard guy on Facebook found out that his name was the same as Joe Perry's name and started using it for his advantage. He might be the scammer.

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

My name is Eric Johnson and I’ll give you 75 bucks for that pos pedal!

TKIV, Endial, art_z and 7 others like this.
  17. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

We had a guy going around town here claiming he was REO Speedwagon's drummer. And lots of folks believed him. Hmmm...

kookaburra and fretless like this.
  18. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Member

There is a "low ball offer" policy in your shop settings - > policies. That prevents offers less than 64% of the original asking price.

Of course if you did that, you would never have got to talk to "Joe Perry".

TKIV, keenan, Madguitrst and 11 others like this.
  19. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

I considered it. Beside a pic with Bruce Springsteen, there was nothing on the guy's page that would indicate he's remotely interested in guitar. There's not much really to indicate he's the guy. There are other Joseph Pereiras in the country too, for what it's worth. Also, of all the people I know in medical school, none of them have the time to peruse music gear websites and scam others. *shrug*

20. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

Oh no, a "trap"!

Hah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up.

Husky, laurabaileysirishcre and trap like this.