My J. Nunis Custom is finally here! (pics)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by onehandfretting, Nov 3, 2005.

1. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Well, it's been a long time in the making, but well worth the wait. Earlier this week I brought home my J. Nunis Custom guitar. It's everything I'd hoped and then some. Several months ago I gave Jim a three page list of very specific things I wanted in the guitar, even gave him a photoshop mockup. And the guitar matches the mockup nearly down to the wood grain. It's amazing.

Here's a quick run down: 2" thick, 1-piece black limba body with a 0.25" flat African Blackwood top (the strip in the middle is the sapwood). There is a forearm bevel that exposes the black limba on the front, and deep contours on the back. Maple neck with Macassar Ebony fretboard and 24 stainless steel frets and no inlays. Ebony headstock overlay. Limba truss rod cover.

Electronics: SD Jazz in the neck, SD Custom 5 in the bridge w/ push-pull coil tap. Graphtech Ghost piezo bridge w/ Acoustiphonic preamp.

And here's some pics. the lighting in my house is terrible, so I'll have to take better pics in the sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Very sweet. Looks cooler than a flametop / quilttop anyday, in my book! Love to see something as different as it is beautiful. :cool:

3. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

Hey OneHand,

That thing is just sick!! Very Classy, yet somewhat evil at the same time!

Did you see my Koa doublecut there? I cant wait to see it when it's done. Got a killer inlay going on it too. Itll be Nunis #2 for me. My first one has a limba back and neck and just slays!

Congrats!
    Dave

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

You need to let us know how this thing sounds. I have an african blackwood finger board that I love. Tell us more.

cmn

5. VegasGreg

VegasGreg Member

Nice!

The body wood looks great, and I like the bevels on the back as well.

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

Sleek! It's good to see some alternative woods used on the tops. I love figured maple as much as the next guy, but that Blackwood with the sapwood stripe looks really classy and cool. The Limba is great looking too. Almost like the veins in a slab of marble.

7. 2x6L6

2x6L6 Supporting Member

Very very interesting - and beautiful to be sure... more pics would be great!!! Nice to see some different axes around here!

8. baald

baald Member

very very sweet. i dig the more unique wood options myself. in fact, i think you'll very much dig the koll that's coming my way early in 06 -- maccaser top on black korina. great minds think alike, eh? :)

baald

9. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Thanks guys! Your observations are exactly what I was going for: classy, yet a little evil, and certainly different. There's no mistaking this for a gold top, that's for sure :D

Sadly, I haven't gotten to play it much this week. Been super busy with work and all...

A full report to come. Plus I'll try to get it outside this weekend and take some decent pics of it.

Dave,
    Yes I did see your double cut. That thing is gonna be awesome when it's done.

-Bobby

10. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

baald,

I really dig Kolls, especially the Tornado (props to splatt). I'm lloking forward to seeing yours.

11. pedalpat

pedalpat Guest

that must sound PHAT!!

please more pics of the body, show the countouring etc.

12. bailnout

bailnout Member

13. stratofied

stratofied Member

Would like to see the guitar but the Pics aren't loading for me.:confused:

14. MOJO

MOJO Member

me either..{just the dreaded red X's}

15. bailnout

bailnout Member

Hey guys, I think the original poster may have taken down the picks that were linked. I just hi-jacked this thread for a moment to direct anyone looking for information on Jim Nunis to the thread I started today.

Thanks...

16. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

I'll get the pics back up. Sorry about that.

But please be sure to read the other thread that bailnout posted.