My Japanese Jimmy Page Les Paul...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gkelm, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

It's an Edwards...lacquer topcoat finish, relic'd, long tenon, Duncans...and light, only 7.7 lbs! Since we're all "visual learners" around here, go ahead and look at the pics ASAP. :)

My LP saga: Over the past few years I've been through a couple Burnys, 4 Tokais, two Classics, and three R0s. The last R0 had a mind-blowing flamed top, but just didn't work for me...the feel or the tone.

I came to the point where I realized that for an LP to feel right, it had to be on the lighter side...I was thinking around 8.5 lbs. So I took a bit of a gamble on this guitar...and after owning it for a couple months, have been quite satisfied. Did I say it was light?

I generally prefer a 60s neck, but this has what feels more like a 59...very comfy (I guess it's a copy of Page's 59 before he had the neck shaved!). It seems to have most of the "historic" type detail we look for...thin binding in cutaway, sharp inlay corners, nice burst, and I think it has the correct headstock angle. There is no binding on the end of the frets. The inlay material looks kinda cheap, and the finish on the bridge & tailpiece are sort of a satin silver. The carve on the top is a bit deeper than a Gibby. Came with strap locks, nice touch. Needs a few appointments--truss cover, light TP, etc...but that may come in time.

Plays, feels, and sounds great...I've kept it within reach since I got it, and reach for it most of the time (good competition: Anderson Cobra, 65 SG Special, CS 60s Strat, CE-22/24, etc.). The nut hangs up on a couple string sometimes, and probably needs some filing (but what Gibson Historic doesn't?)...otherwise the build quality is very good.

Acoustically, it seems resonant and a bit airy. I'm not sure if it's chambered...tapping on the body does not reveal any significant chambers, but I would not be surprised if it is at this weight. I'll just think of it as a Cloud 9. :)

One of the surprises for me has been how much I like the "super switching"...all four knobs pull. The Volumes are coil taps, and the Tones are phase & parallel (I think). I especially like the coil tap options...nice to be able to get Lester jangly. Wanted to try my Fillmores in this, but pretty pleased with the Duncans.

Anyway, there it is. :)
    Greg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Di you buy this off ebay? How much did you pay, if you do not mind? Any Clips

3. trucks

trucks Member

Imagine this Paul with a plek and a bone nut! :dude

It is already sweet. I just had the above done on one of my guitars and it made a world of difference.

4. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

Super gorgeous flame top and color! :dude

5. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

SCORE!!!! Awesome guit-fiddle man, have fun wearin the frets down on that badboy.

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

Edwards guitars are seriously sweet. Very nice score! Cograts. [​IMG]

7. nikku

nikku Member

I keep meaning to pick one of those up! They are awesome guitars for the money, they cost around $800 new in Japan.

8. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Is that for the one with the "super switching"?...if so, great price. I paid the obligatory ebay markup + overseas shipping. I found one direct from another shop that would have been a bit less expensive, but got cold feet when the would not take a credit card, only bank transfer.

Wish they had these out when I visited Tokyo a couple years ago. I believe there's also model with just a normal 3-way also, which is what I originally wanted...just couldn't find one. But it happens that I'm finding all the switching options highly useful.

9. joeh77

joeh77 Member

Congrats! That one is a thing of beauty!

Joe:)

10. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

Over at Harmony-Central he stated that he paid $1000 US.

11. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Excuse me? I don't post at HC, thank you. :)

hdiddy - email if you want some details. Working on some clips!

12. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

13. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Yes, basically the same guitar...tack on $125 for shipping and you're there. It's not a particularly cheap guitar, but I'm pleased with it.

One of my buds at a local guitar shop is prodding me to have the headstock face "done", but not sure I want to make the investment.

14. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

I vote for face lift- :D

15. fiftywatt

fiftywatt Member

gkelm that is a seriously sweet Japan LP.

My saga is similar to yours..
    '86 LP Standard, '89 pre-Historic flametop '59 reissue,
    '92 LP Classic, a (Korean) Burny, '96 Orville (MIJ), '89 MIJ Greco black beauty..

and now finally two '84 Greco "Mint Collection" LP's, one is a plaintop darkburst, the other is a "John Sykes" black beauty. They work for me better than any of the Gibsons did. I'm proud to play them onstage too. The build quality and attention to detail is quite impressive.