My Job is Offering to Relocate Me to Denver

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jarrett, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

and I'm somewhat interested.

I currently live about 45 miles south of Dallas and commute into work everyday, which is 104 miles round trip. I've been kicking around a change in scenery for a while and Colorado is on the list, in theory at least.

My possible work location appears that it would be Downtown Denver. I'd like to live in a more rural area if possible and commute. Maybe 25-30 minutes away, NOT during rush hour.

Would prefer a more progressive leaning area if there is one. The big question is housing costs for me. I'm in a 6 acre, 2500 sq foot deal right now. I'd be willing to downsize considerably on land and a bit on the house, but don't want to get too small.

As far as activities, music of course. But mostly, I love being outdoors. I already like to ride motorcycles on and off pavement, ride bicycles as well and enjoy hiking a bit. Being from Texas, I like warm weather for the most part. That said, it would be nice to live somewhere the actually had four distinct seasons for a change. It does make me wonder exactly how much snow shoveling I would be doing though.

Any tips on good places to live around Denver that sort of meet the criteria that I'm talking about?

Any tips for Texans considering Denver? (other than stay there, I mean)

Gasp100 and Markdude like this.
  2. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

the few times I've been there (Denver) have been fantastic. I love that area.

fretless likes this.
  3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I'd go for it.

But I can assure you, there will be a lot of the year when it just won't be warm.

I think Texans have long been a part of the tapestry of Colorado. There's one basin (the Conejos, up to Platoro Reservoir) and every time I go there (a dozen, plus) I see more trucks with Texas plates than even Colo. plates. I am going to suggest that the further south in the Denver area you look, the more Texans you'll find.

Moby Dick and Washburnmemphis like this.
  4. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

As a 26 year veteran of a long daily commute(90 miles round trip),
    I would jump at a chance to shorten the time I spend behind the wheel.

More rural would be a plus for me as well.
    The only downside would be colder climate.
    However, looking at Denver climate averages it is an improvement from what I currently live in(metro Detroit).

Good luck.

What type of position?

Laurence likes this.
  5. Madsen

Madsen Member

There's some good info in this recent thread.
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...boulder-denver-colorado-springs-area.2066715/

I recently moved here from Ca. Seems the weather is an issue about half the year. Public transportation is pretty good. Lots of buses that go into downtown & they're working on upgrading the train lines. I'm about half an hour north & like it here. Lots of suburbs & patches of land in all directions that distance from the city. 4wd vehicle, snow shovel for the driveway & some snow gear for the below freezing to sub zero days are recommended.

6. sleewell

sleewell Member

except for maybe austin i would move to denver from just about anywhere in texas. not trying to offend anyone, its mainly the heat i cant stand but the live music in austin would maybe keep me there but its pretty good in denver too so i would probably still go for a change of scenery.

saltbird, BigWave and coltonius like this.
  7. mojotele65

mojotele65 Supporting Member

Denver is a great town. I would move in a heartbeat. The weather has its moments, but when it is bad, you stay home, just like in Dallas. The cool part is, it can snow, and then the sun comes out and you can be outside with 10" of snow in a sweatshirt. That closer to the sun thing makes a big difference. If you love the out doors, it is a killer place to be. You have the Red Rock amphitheater :)

fretless and Penguinchit like this.
  8. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I love Denver. It's big enough without being too big, plenty to do (especially if you like the outdoors), good parks, people are nice, great scenery and good food places. I used to go to Denver all the time in my late teens/early 20s. You'll get a lot of snow in the winter but it's not harsh. You'd definitely have to invest in a quality snowblower. There's not as much wind and stupid cold like Minneapolis. And with the trees, you'll have green all year round, instead of the brown, dirty season. Not nearly as humid in Denver as it is here so the summers are pleasant. It could feel like a swamp to you, but you'd quickly adjust. Also, the elevation...You'll feel tired until your body gets used to being starved of O2.

Traffic...Big city traffic is big city traffic no matter which one you're in. I70 sucks, I25 sucks, I76 sucks. We always took I90 to I25 and it was pretty smooth until about Loveland.

As far as living there, never done it so I have no good opinion. But if I had the chance, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

fretless likes this.
  9. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

My SIL just moved to Denver..
    avg home prices, according to her, ran about 350.00 a sq ft.
    So, your 2600 sq ft house would list out at about 900,000.00
    Worth it to you?

yakyak likes this.
  10. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I think I’d need more information. If you want rural flatlands you can go east of Denver and find what you’re looking for probably at comparable prices. If you want mountain rural it’s going to be more expensive. Not to mention insurance due to the threat of wildfires. But your criteria can be met regardless... depending on what you’re willing to spend.

Either way, congratulations! I’d definitely take the plunge. While Colorado is still my favorite we relocated to Portland five years ago and it’s been great and we’re relocating to Germany in two weeks. Life is for living!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Juan Tuthri, chopsley and Penguinchit like this.
  11. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Time to start packing! The riding out there is unreal, endless things to do...

I'll be there over Labor Day (for work, yeah no kidding!) but the Friday before I'll be running up to RMNP and Estes again because well, it's hard not to go back.

12. Bozak

Bozak Member

I just visited for a few days and kind of didn't want to leave, it's a great city.

- Really, really nice weather in the spring/summer
    - Very affordable, I was surprised how cheap everything was, but I'm from NY
    - Really, really nice people, very beautiful women
    - Great beer, and the best legal weed in the world
    - Great outdoors, although far from the oceans which is a minus IMO.

It's one of the only places I've visited that I think I could live, and I've been to just about every big city in the US, if I wasn't near NYC I think I'd be there by now.

monkmiles, NicDo, Markdude and 2 others like this.
  13. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Someone asked, I'm in the IT field.

I spent a week in Denver in May 2012 for work and not to be funny, but it was a bit of a life changing event. Dallas is such a "stay inside/drive everywhere/nothing to do outside" type of city that I didn't realize I had sort of slipped into that mindset and thought that was all there was. Seeing Denver as such of a vibrant/active city changed my perspective on a few things. It was one of the major factors in me changing my lifestyle on January 1, 2013 and ultimately losing/keeping off 130 lbs.

Ever since then, I've sort fantasized about living in/near a more active city like Denver or Austin where there seem to be an endless list of things you can go outside and do. Just trying to get my head around the realties of that move.

14. Bolt VanderHuge

Bolt VanderHuge Member

I lived in Denver for a few years in the early 2000s. Back then, it was an awesome place to live. I'm guessing it still is, but unfortunately, the cost of living (especially housing) has risen significantly since I was there. My parents lived in the Boulder area, then Erie since the mid 90's, but moved out to where I'm at a year ago, mostly to be close to their granddaughter, but also because the COL had risen enough to make their fixed-income lifestyle untenable. If you're serious about moving there, I'd do a cost comparison first to see if you can hack the difference, and make sure your employer gives you a COL pay adjustment. I'm very personal-finance-oriented and it always surprises me how many folks don't seem to care at all about the financial impacts when considering a move.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  15. bkhskier

bkhskier Member

Been here 15 yrs. Rents are crazy expensive, real estate is softening but still strong price wise. We sold our home in "farmville" in 2 days but found a great townhouse below market closer to getting to our mountain house.
    Front Range snow doesn't last long and melts off in a few days depending on how much. Lots of job opportunities but you have that covered. Boulder is solid [MOD EDIT]and getting crowded but it's a University city so there's lots of young people and stuff to do. Takes a million to get into housing there....

On the other side is Colo. Springs, with the Air Force Base [MOD EDIT]
    PM me if you want more info.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2019
  16. El Caballo

El Caballo Retired bar hopping musician

It sounds like a good deal. I'd take it.

17. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Where do you have to move to feel like you on the edge of rural around Denver?

18. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Mountain rural or flatland rural?

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  19. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Hey, why not ? You're young and it sounds like a fun adventure. I know you'll be looking for a house with huge garage !

20. Jarrett

Jarrett Member

Mountain would be nice. Flatland if I have to.

I am? :)