My Koll Tornado pics

zeppo

Hey there, finally got a good shot of my Koll Tornado. Thought I'd share.

body & neck: korina
fingerboard: brazilian
pickups: harmonic design
bridge: jazzmaster trem
neck shape: chunky 50's style

cocheese

Silver Supporting Member
Harris,

Thanks for posting those pics! Looks fabulous! Mine should be here this week sometime. I am simply on the edge of my seat here!!! Words do no justice to the level of tingling excitement I'm feeling here!!!!!!!

The pics only make it that much better. :D

zeppo

Yeah cocheese, Saul told me about your guitar, sounds really cool.

I haven't decided if the harmonic design pickups are the right ones for this guitar yet, as splatt has pointed out the harmonic designs are awesome for higher gain but I kind of miss some of the vintage vibe of more gibson style p-90s. That being said the harmonics don't exhibit any of the "nasally" characteristics I don't like in other p-90s. Believe it or not my favorite p-90s right now are the duncan phat cats but of course those fit in a humbucker sized route so won't be going in this guitar.

harris

cocheese

Silver Supporting Member
I'm getting a set of Lollar P-90's in my Tornado. I'm more of a vintage guy too. I play more with non-master amps at just a hint of overdrive. The Lollars should be great as the other pickups I've tried of Jason's have sounded wonderful.

MJR

That is utterly beautiful! :dude

The more of Saul's guitars I see, the more I think I could be content with just a few of his creations.

zeppo

Yeah, now that I look at it the pics make it looker a little darker than it is in person too. Not as dark around the edges, smoother fade to the center. Very purdy.

h.

Unburst

I'm counting the days until I can get out to PDX and talk to Saul about a Koll.

I'm intrigued about the Jazzmaster trem, how is the break angle over the bridge?
Have you compared it to a Hipshot equipped Koll?

Zeppo,

Much health and happiness with your new Koll. It looks beautiful
and I'm sure it sounds incredible. I'm waiting on 2 guitars
from Saul and will post as soon as they are in my hands. Saul is
simply one of the best designer/builders out there today. It
doesn't get any better. Enjoy it and play the hell out of it....

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by splatt
congrats on the fiddiddle!

unless, of course, we were talking about 'vintage vibe' as being restricted to whiny bridge p90's w/mismatched, pokey neck p90's, both of 'em exhibiting nasty noise- factors.
dt / spltrcl
:)

Nice ax Zeppo.

There's a P-90 in my future and these babies look like they fit the bill.

zeppo

congrats on the fiddiddle!

i certainly didn't mean to imply that the HD's *lack* 'vintage vibe' --- i'm pretty sure that i didn't, in fact, 'cuz i wouldn't..... since i think these pickups have improved (in an organic, evolutionary way) upon the p90 character.
unless, of course, we were talking about 'vintage vibe' as being restricted to whiny bridge p90's w/mismatched, pokey neck p90's, both of 'em exhibiting nasty noise- factors.
Nope, it was not suposed to be my implication that you suggested that they lack the vibe factor, just that they are superior high gain pickups, sorry if it came across wrong. As much as anything I just hear at clean or edge of break up tones a little less, errr, openess or maybe it's just a little less high end than my '65 sg special or the phat cats in my historic sg. I have dinked with the pickup height a bit but i would agree it's worth more investigation. And I know exactly what you mean about the whiney, nasally bridge versus the mismatched bridge, it's something I've heard in a lot of vintage gibsons.

thanks,
h.

Greg

Zeppo-

I have a set of Lollars if you're interested in a trade for your HDs. I almost bought the orange Koll from you a few months back. Luckily, I was able to pick up a Super Glide recently. I'm interested in checking out the HD VP.

Greg

JingleJungle

Dammnity, that IS a purdy guittie!!... Does Saul give any sort of rebate for multiple orders?

I WILL buy a Tornado just like yours, plus a Superior with the Electroflux and a Duo Glide too.

Will "tentative" orders still qualify for rebates? Hmmm...

;)

JJ

zeppo

*definitely* worth some time, i'd say;
my vp90's are quite a bit more open --- w/more high-end detail and breadth of dynamics --- than any other p90 i've played, and most other pickups i've tried, as well.
of course, my mileage may vary.....
dt / spltrcl
Yup, I'll give it a try, my experimentation before was pretty cursory and I've read they're sensitive to height.

And Greg, thanks for the trade offer but I'll keep these around.

Also, someone asked above about the jazzmaster trem. I had a two tornados here at my house at the same time, the one in the pic and a black one with a hipshot. I found the jazzmaster trem guitar to sound a little bigger acoustically, that may be the bridge and it may just be the wood and neck size on the two guitars (the black one was a thinner neck). I initially went with the jazzmaster trem for a few reasons, I like the sense of a fixed bridge under my palm, I don't do a ton of wham-bulations and I like it on my vintage jazzmaster. All that being said, the hipshot is a very fine piece of machinery and were I to order another one I might get that bridge. Very silky smooth in travel and feels great.

harris

Straleno

I'm fixing to get a Koll quite a bit like that one soon.

I love the Jazzmaster trem, but does it stay in tune well? I'd be worried that the strings would catch on the fixed tune-o-matic bridge, especially the wound strings...

Thanks.