My KR Collection

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, May 15, 2008.

1. exodus

exodus Member

All very interesting and very cool. Just thought I'd share a pic.

[​IMG]

2. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

Very cool! Do the big and small Mega Vibes sound identical? If so, why would you chose one over the other?

The obvious reason that I can think of for choosing the small one is that it takes up less board space. Perhaps people like the big one because you could probably adjust the speed knob with your foot? Although it would be a lot easier if it had a round knob.

3. katarzis

katarzis Member

i want a small megavibe too! :(

4. gregory49

gregory49 Member

5. exodus

exodus Member

I also have a bunch of Fulltone Fuzz pedals (the '69, '70, Soulbender).

So I think I'll just make an analogy for "the fuzz". If the gypsy is like the '69, then "the fuzz" is most like the '70's pedal. The basic reasoning is simple... "the fuzz" is a pure silicon tranny pedal like the '70.

However its really not that simple. The fuzz has a contour knob that really changes things a bit. It can go from a true silicon fuzz to almost big muff territory. In between is quite a bit of fat Hendrix-y silicon tones. And the one thing it truly delivers on is "fuzz" tones. It doesn't compress and turn flat. The notes are fuzzy all the way around.

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

What does the Doubler do?

7. Freedom

Freedom Member

Very nice collection exodus!!! Here's mine...;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure i understand your analogy exodus, both the Gypsy and the Fuzz are pure silicon...

Octavia...;)

8. Luis

Luis Member

The Gypsy is not pure silicon, but a germanium-silicon hybrid circuit, just like the RM Axis fuzz.

9. Freedom

Freedom Member

Nope...both have PNP and NPN silicon tranies...thats why they called them hybrid, cause they use both PNP and NPN...not because they use one Ge and one Si trany...;)

"Electronically the Axis uses a discrete circuit configuration that is completely unlike the simple and crude Fuzz Face configuration. Both PNP and NPN silicon low noise transistors are used in an unique configuration that is temperature stable, free from radio interference and producing more output level and sustain than the Classic Fuzz."

"GYPSY FUZZ-The Gypsy Fuzz is a unique vintage style circuitry that features both pnp & npn silicon transistors for a smoother vintage style fuzz tone. "

There is a common misundrerstanding that NPN is Ge and PNP is Si (or the opposite)...there are PNP and NPN Ge transistors and PNP and NPN Si transistors...

PS: i also own the RM Axis Fuzz as well, GREAT fuzz, its loaded with one 2n3904(Si NPN) and one 2n3906(Si PNP)...;)

10. bosstone

bosstone Member

Which fuzz do you like better? I was about to get a Gypsy Fuzz.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Very nice! I've been Vibe shopping lately and it's really starting to look like the Mega Vibe is the ticket...also, for those that have it how do you like the KR wah?? I love my Teese picture wah but you never know!

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  12. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Nice colections I have a Mega Vibe and love it

13. Freedom

Freedom Member

Let me put it this way...a week ago i had these wahs:

[​IMG]

...so i had the chance to A/B/C/D the area51, Pic wah, Clyde Deluxe and the KR Killer...they are all different thats for sure and all of them are GREAT...i sold the Clyde... the RMC and the Area51(which is probably the next to sell) went to the closet...i really like the KR Killer, its the smoothest for my gear, ears and taste...;)

Still, i've also have a RM vision wah in the mail, so my wah quest is gonna end after i listen to this as well...yes i am a wahwaholic...:BEER

14. coolhand78

coolhand78 Supporting Member

I'm quite interested in the KR pedals? how does a doubler compare with the RM octavia? and the vibe compared to a mojovibe? carlygeetars clips with the gypsy fuzz were amazing but i'm currently waiting on my sunface... so no fuzz for the moment... ;)

15. Freedom

Freedom Member

If you ask me, if i had to pick one that would be the Axis Fuzz...again for my gear, taste and ears its almost perfect for what i want...both Gypsy and Axis are GREAT...Axis is brighter than the Gypsy, the Gypsy sounds fantastic almost to all the amps i've tried it...both clean the same way (very smoothly so you can get a million nuances from clean to fuzz when you manipulate the guitar's vol) and if you want to have your wah before both these fuzzes, you won't need a buffered one...:BEER

16. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I noticed that of all the silicon FF/Jimi-type pedal clips on Carlygtr's Soundclick music page (KR The Fuzz, Sweet Sound Fillmore West, RM Axis Fuzz), I like the one with the Axis the best.
    That whole thing with the KR fuzz pedals was confusing. I didn't know until recently that there were PNP and NPN for bot Ge and Si trannies. I had originally thought that PNP was Ge, and NPN was Si. (I didn't understand that it meant Pos/Neg/Pos, and Neg/Pos/Neg. Awfully confusing to the novice.

BTW, I just noticed that he put a boatload of new Throbak Overdrive Boost clips on there since I last checked (Thank You). There used to be only one (Led Boots), but it was my favorite. I LOVE that pedal!

17. Freedom

Freedom Member

At the start of my quest for the BOG sound (2 nights at fillmore east/box of gypsys version which are the rawest and least refined versions) fuzz i was listening to as many clips as i could since i am in the EU and its more difficult to find and try butique pedals (or even buy)...i bought the Fulltone 69 only to find out i am not a Ge guy (great fuzz though)...i bought the '70, nice Si fuzz but...i listened to each and every carl's clip and the RM seemed to me the worst of all the others he had used (i think Carl had a clip playing Fire) while the Gypsy was more close and the The Fuzz seemed to have way more gain that needed(or at least thats what i heard from the clips)...

The thing is that imho and from my experience fuzzes and wahs are very gear depended (thats also why imho there is no "best wah" or "best fuzz" etc etc) and the case while picking a fuzz has also to do with what amp you got and how hard you push it (my one and only amp is a metro super lead '69 clone always working on 10)...so after i bought the Gypsy while it is a fantastic fuzz i was not fully satisfied...then i thought what the heck, i've got to try the Axis as well and this thing (again for my ears, gear and taste) is as close as it can get (the last fuzz i bought was the new Dunlop, another great fuzz, different sound)...

Anyway, what i want to say is please guys if you have the chance try as many as you can with your gear and figure it out yourself before you buy...clips not always tell the truth since there are millions parameters, guitar, amp, mic, recorder, other post or pre effects and so forth...;)

No worries, its a common misunderstanding, very confusing indeed... :BEER

18. Thin Slices

Thin Slices Member

What a cool thread! I got a (big) mega vibe yesterday. My first impression was "OMG - this is IT"! I will let you know what I think about it when I have gotten familier with it.

I am also on the waiting list for a "the fuzz". I really hope that the waiting time is shorter on that one.

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

Most the comments I have seen on TGP and most of the reviews I have read pick the Mega Vibe as the best vibe. I have one and think it is great. The new Blues Saraceno octave pedal is the best I have heard.

20. Luis

Luis Member

Freedom, thanks for the NPN PNP explanation, obviously I was confused. Like you, I have tried many fuzz pedals looking for a BOG sound. Playing with a cranked Marshall ('67 SL or '72 50w Bass in my case) my prefer is the RM Axis over the KR Gypsy too. But the Gypsy would be my second option.
    And yes, it's not necessary a buffered wah before the Axis or the Gypsy, will work great stock.