My last two rca black plate 6l6 finally have had it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by modernp, Jan 30, 2012.

1. modernp

modernp Member

20 years ago I picked up 12 of those tubes its amazing I have gotten so much playing out of a dozen tubes,but they are all used up. I am really liking the sed's tho maybe more so than the Rca's but it might just be a fresh tone that I am liking.

2. Hand of Doom

Hand of Doom Member

3. modernp

modernp Member

Thanks for your condolecences.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

:(

At least you had those 20 years together!

- Thom

5. modernp

modernp Member

Lots of good memories in those tubes.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I have some RCA blackplates I've been saving for years. But now I ask myself... why am I saving them? They should be heard!

7. Jeff West

Jeff West Member

Twelve in 20 years- you must play a lot!

8. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Yeah, mine last for years...gigging every weekend too. Maybe because I run it clean, not past 4 or so on the dial?

9. modernp

modernp Member

Enough to go thru 12 tubes I guess. A lot of those years was thru a cranked 71 pro reverb.

10. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

I have a pair I've been using for about 8 years. I have one back up set, but I also have have some Winged C's which also sound pretty good. I gig most weekends.

11. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

12 in 20 years doesn't seem very good to me. The big selling point of NOS, if you listen to the NOS sellers is the longevity. I have to say, I used to run RCAs (preamp tubes) in my Twin Reverb Re-issues and I had more microphonic issues with them than I did with current production. They did sound good, however. I used the 7025 and 12AT7 (reverb) in conjunction with Svetlana (before they were called SED) power tubes. Again, sounded great, but my experience did not support the "better quality" claims.

12. modernp

modernp Member

I find that our ears get used to the loss of tone in our amps and you really don't realize it till you throw some fresh ones in there. The guy who has been using the same tubes for 8 years should listen to some fresh tubes and see if he can hear a difference. Mine usually started going away after 2 or 3 years.

13. Lance

Lance Member

Same with speakers, imo. That cone material is not everlasting. I am always amazed when people try to sell a 30 year old speaker that's never been reconed, for more money than a new one.

14. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Makes sense. That's probably why my amp's usually on 4 now rather than 3 like a few years ago.

15. modernp

modernp Member

Its amazing how our ears will decieve us. Sometimes I will not notice, but some other musician will say something about my tone that I am not hearing.

16. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

That's a pair every 3.5 years approximately...I don't think that's too bad for power tubes. Also I have a pair that came with my Vibrolux Reverb that were original, and even though they're probably around 30 years old and worn out they still sound better than SOME current production tubes do imho, fwiw.

17. modernp

modernp Member

Throw some sed's in there and tell me what you think of the old tubes.

18. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

That's why I said some...I have tried Electro-Harmonix 6l6's (admittedly not even close to the best current 6l6's), and they didn't sound as good as the worn out RCA's, but now I just have a pair Philips 6l6wgb's so I really have no need for another pair of tubes.

19. modernp

modernp Member

20. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Current production tubes will do that. The NOS guys always preach how NOS is a superior tube. My experience, which is the only one that matters to me, lol, is that simply isn't the case. And, it doesn't appear the OP is experiencing superior (quality) either. Like I said, I did like the tone of the RCAs in my Twins; better than the stock tubes. But again, I didn't experience them being better quality. I actually had more problems with them.