My late 80's PRS Standard 24 got destroyed...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by standard24, May 28, 2019.

1. dazco

dazco Member

same thing happened to a friends 60s jaguar in about 1980. This was soaked. He gave it to me and i let it dry out, repainted it, and it was great. No neck warpage or anything like that, just stains and paint ruined.

2. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Oh man, that's an absolute bummer

3. derekd

derekd Member

Yep, this was gonna be my question, also.

Sorry, OP. That really does suck. I hope nothing else serious was damaged in your home.

Okra likes this.
  4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I have to think that there is some way to restore and save a vintage PRS like this. Sorry about the bad news, though...

5. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

Damn, that's terrible.

Sorry, man.

6. motokev

motokev Member

It is sad.... I feel for you. Those old CE guitars are so sweet.

Just claim it on insurance and look for another; might take some time.

Thanks for reminding us to place our loved ones in a safe place.

7. badgerchemist

badgerchemist Gold Supporting Member

Without it being a formal recommendation-any particular providers you might suggest looking into? I have renter's insurance currently with a rider for a substantial layer of protection for my guitars and amps, but the idea of having a fully separate policy really appeals to me.

Thanks in advance!

e??? likes this.
  8. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

That really blows! Condolences!

9. standard24

standard24 Member

Thanks for the condolences guys! It's weird... In 20 years, I had not hardly gigged this guitar or taken it to a jam because I felt that a Fender would be an easier guitar to replace, (and certainly tougher). What caused me to open the case was, I got to thinking... Why am I keeping this guitar if I'm not playing it out??? I was going to a bar-jam the next day and decided I was going to use it and not save it for some future owner to play... I wish I'd come to that decision sooner!

10. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

So sorry man. :(
    How long do you think the pipe had been leaking?

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've used both Clarion and Heritage. Never needed either but my son's Heritage policy paid off twice while he was touring (one blown speaker and one lost guitar). Heritage is slightly cheaper.

badgerchemist likes this.
  12. archey

archey Supporting Member

Damn man, that sucks. But I seriously doubt that all is lost. I'm sure that you could have it repaired good as new, and maybe a color that you like better. Ptc is a little beyond realistic with their pricing, but it is the actual company doing the work. If you took it elsewhere I'm sure the price would be much more reasonable.

13. 65ChampAmp

65ChampAmp Member

I can't remember where I read this, probably Vintage Guitar....
    Clarence Gatemouth Brown had survived a bout with cancer. At least he was is remission.
    He lived in New Orleans in the lower 9th ward. Lost everything in the Katrina flood, but the thing that broke his heart was losing his old trademark Firebird.
    They said he died of a broken heart over that guitar. Anyone who knows anything about The Gate knows that brown non-reverse Firebird. (It's a concession to the fact that Gibson inexplicably made many more reverse Firebirds that non, but I always thought we should say "Firebird or Reverse Firebird)

Anyway, sorry to hear about your guitar, OP.
    Without seeing it in hand, or even pictures, I hesitate to make pronouncements, but I will anyway.
    I bet it's not as bad as you think. But no matter how bad it is, I'd look at it as an opportunity to learn some new skills. Or, if you live in an apartment, and/or have absolutely no tools, why not look up a local school of luthiery in your area? Most luthiers courses involve walking out at the end of the course with a handmade guitar you've built yourself. Find a good instructor who's willing to tailor your course around rebuilding your PRS.

I guarantee you that someone with the skills and tools can make it good as new.
    Unfounded pronouncements concluded.

14. Andrew33

Andrew33 Member

I think it's just part of being a musician. Eventually, everyone has a guitar destroyed by water in some way. Happened to me too.

15. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

16. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Man, what a drag! So sorry for ya to have to go through it.

Orkie = John Ingram, who worked for PRS back then. I second this recommendation. Those late '80s Standards were really nice guitars, and Orkie (who did a lot of the building of 'em) is the best person to put it right. IMHO it's well worth getting it repaired, and then keeping it out for daily use as a player. I don't have Orkie's contact info but I'm sure Rick Hogue @ Garrett Park Guitars could put you in touch.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Take the hardware off so the rust staining doesn't keep increasing plus it will help the body dry.

Loosen the truss rod so the neck is level not bowed either way.

Clean off any mildew.

Open the case and let it get sunlight on the inside.

Is the neck separating from the body? Or still sturdily glued? Fretboard attached? Add some pictures and let's see how bad or good of shape you're in to make targeted suggestions.

In the meantime, here is a PRS neck I steamed off due to prior owner falling on the guitar that cracked the neck at the body. I contacted PRS to find out what glue (in case they used epoxy/etc) and they said they don't even repair necks. Ended up being regular glue. Took an hour steaming it to get the still-glued parts to free up. I cleaned it all up, repaired it, leveled the frets/setup and it plays now.
    [​IMG]

Start a list of rusty/damaged hardware and find average ebay 'sold listings' prices for the parts to get an idea of what you might need. Add all that up. You may be able to salvage some of the parts and that will help.

These are some guitars I've rescued, each with their own history and different repairs.
    The PRS above, Teisco Tulip, Tele Midnight Wine, Tele Affinity Relic.

You'll have a good story to tell when you get it back on the road. You should get it back on the road.

Edit:
    Adding this MIJ Global (ghost built by Ibanez apparently) LP copy, when I got it even the frets were yanked out of it. Stainless steel frets now.It had some parts on it but what was there was broken so it's really just the body and neck.
    [​IMG]

A guitar that was a throw-in on another trade "hey, can you use this one?" that had terrible fretwork (and the reason many prior owners had been relicing it) after leveling the frets and a good setup plays easy with no worries. This might be an option for you rather than a full restore. Or as an interim situation where you get it playable and it feels good to play (no sharp finish chips). If you have never owned a relic guitar -- I used to hate relics until I got this one and now I understand the attraction of them. Again, this could be an initial interim build-level for you. Gig with it and think about if you need to restore the finish all the way or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  18. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Sorry, standard. And some of you guys suggesting homeowners' insurance obviously don't have any, because as was eventually pointed out, the deductible makes it a non-starter for most guitars. I know that I would either just give it away to get it out of my life, or salvage parts and rebuild. If the body has not split -- or ever if it has -- I would rework it a bit (I've always wanted to make on a little smaller), replace the neck (not that hard if you don't need to be careful with the old one), do a better headstock than that awful PRs shape, etc. I don't think I would try to restore it as it was, because I think it would always end up a slightly crappier version of itself even if PRS did it. I'd try to save the BR fretboard... What a crappy development. I never store guitars out of sight because I'm too freaking paranoid about the possibility of unpredictable, unseen trouble.

19. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Man, I’m sorry. That’s awful.

20. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

So very sorry to hear this 24.

I couldn't even imagine something like this happening to any of my prized guitars.

I hope you find a viable way to bring it back to it's glory.

Keep us posted.

Lt Dak and big mike like this.