My latest Tele project, & a thin nitro finish pic...

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Cobra, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

"Really Red" see-thru thin nitro, over 1pc, doublebound, under 4lb, African striped mahogany. It's a really special color recipe, that required alot of experimenting & testing to make it "pop" over mahogany. I was looking for a really bright see-thru red, not the traditional cherry red, which is a little too dark, & too maroon over mahogany for my tastes. Just to be clear, I'm not squirting this finish myself. I just recieved the pic from the finisher, & had to share. He described it as looking at the wood through a red lollipop. It's exactly what I hoped it would be! Whadya think?

[​IMG]

2. JiMB

JiMB Member

Nice! What pickup are you putting in the neck position?

3. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Jason Lollar Charlie Christian Tele neck pickup, & a Lollar Tele Special bridge is going in the Glendale, non-magnetic stainless steel bridgeplate. Add a really dark, black pearly 5-hole guard, & a killer large profile, rosewood board "T" neck, with a thin nitro, vintage amber satin finish, from a fellow & well respected TGP'er. Now the finish has to cure until around early March, & then comes final assembly, set-up & tweaking. I've had this body for over 2 years, finally got all the rest of the parts together, & sent the body off to be finished, after a lot of research looking for the "right" finisher for the job. Won't be long now... I'm stoked!

4. gururyan

gururyan Member

You nailed it, that is perfect.

...perfect.

Thanks for sharing, post more when you get them.

5. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm a big fan of Tele's, jump & west coast blues, but I have issues with the size & ergonomics of most of the archtops that are the foundation of the jump guitar sound. This guitar is an effort to hopefully cop reasonably close, faux archtop tones from a "T" style guitar, a platform I'm used to, & like alot. We'll see if my vision is a successful one, but I got a good feeling about it. I've built lots of parts guitars, & you never really know how it's all gonna turn out until it's done. Could be a gem, or a pooch! What I've found to be the single most important critical element, is the size, weight, & resonance of the neck. All components are important, & have an impact on the overall synergy of the completed guitar, but the neck has to be really lively, & really righteous from jumpstreet, for the guitar to have the best chance at being something special. Let's just say I have a lot of confidence in the neck for this guitar, so for now, the forecast is good. The body isn't gonna hurt it's chances either: Hand selected for resonance, light weight, & finally cosmetics. It wasn't actually tap tuned, but it was selected over many other slabs of mahogany with better looking grain on the front, & all the slabs were tapped looking for the most resonant & lively piece available. This was the "one".

6. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Double bound teles are sooooo cool. Very nice!

7. mainsale

mainsale Member

Don't forget 4-way switching!

8. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely fantastic.

9. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Did the finisher find the body for you too? I must admit a fondness for mahogany teles. I have a chambered mahogany tele and a custom built mahogany semi-hollow. Like you, I took the path of tone over better looking wood. ......although I'm very happy witht he lookd of the wood!

Your guitar is going to be stunning! The color is beautiful and the grain of the mahogany underneath is just too cool. The Lollar pups are the final detail and should make that baby sing! Who did the finish? Looks similar to the finish on mine.

Congrats on a fine guitar. Now....the wait. Thats the hard part!

10. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Props on the mahogany grain on that top as well, very, very nice!
    Anxious to see the finished pics!

11. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

The finisher's name is Kevin Bolinskey, & he's been a joy & pleasure to work with. He accomodated my request for a really different see-thru red with alot of experimenting & testing, & he has been unbelievably patient with me. His prices are very reasonable, too. The body came from a wood guy I found about 2 years ago, but I'm not sure if he's still making bodies. He was also very cool to deal with regarding wood selection, as well as accomodating the special rout required for the Lollar CC neck pickup. The grain on this body isn't shabby at all, but there were some other slabs that were really incredible. I had to go for the resonance, but I lucked out in that the grain looks nice. I almost went for shoreline gold!! I did think that 6120 orange would be cool, but I'm glad I stuck with my original color idea, & Kevin made it a reality.

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Thought that work looked familiar! Keven not only made a beautiful custom, mahogany semi-hollow for me, the finish he put on it is second to none. I've also bought a few one pice tele bodies from him that were as nice as anything out there.

You are correct about him being a joy to work with. I can't stress enough what a class individual and talented luthier he is. Hell of nice guy to boot!

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

that is really nice Mahogany .. how heavy is it?

14. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I don't have an accurate scale to weigh the body, but It's under 4lbs, according to the guy I bought it from, plus, it's been drying out for the additional 2 years I've had it.

15. r9player

wow that is really light, sweet! I have a hollow Mahogany/maple cap tele in that weight range and it is the best. But I also made a solid Mahogany Tele with Maple Lam .. which weighed like a Lester, sounded awesome though. But 4 lbs that is really nice.

16. Paul Secondino

Paul Secondino Member

I like the look.Red isn't color I like alot but the shade you used looks nice. I'm putting together a tele too. But mine is an old all parts alder body sprayed with black poly. I'd like to polish it up but I am not certain about how to polish out poly finish compared to nitro laquer.

17. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

WooHoo!! It's starting to come together nicely.
    The pearly pickguard might be a tad gaudy, but I'm cool with it for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. r9player

Looks very cool. Personally I am with Echoplex wonder if a different color guard would've worked better but that's personal preferences.

19. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I know what you mean about the guard... The flash kind makes it look lighter than it really is. In person, it's really much darker. I can always get a simple black guard any time, but for now, I'll stick with the black pearl.

20. r9player

Actually I like pearloid but was thinking .. different color maybe?