My latest wonderful POS

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
I love weird old amps. Because they often sound "different" and sometimes have some unique features and often look pretty cool. And they're cheap. And they often come loaded with some killer glass! Behold my new '64 Danelectro DM25

It's a 2 channel 1x12 piggyback powered by a pair of 6x4 rectified 7189s. It came loaded with Amprex Bugle Boy 7189s and 12AX7s and an RCA 6CG7, all in tip top condition and sounding killer. The 2nd channel features the notoriously worthless dano reverb but also Danelectro's excellent tremolo which seems to have just the slightest pitch modulation going on as well. Really lovely! Especially through the excellent old Jensen C12Q.

The cleans are vaguely British sounding, a la AC15 and it grinds nicely enough to pull off sounds like early 70s Stones or Free. Total and unrepentant pedal slut too.

There is a downside to buying old amps like this, of course...may not work properly and will probably be in serious need of a clean up, as this amp was. To say it was filthy is a significant understatement. I actually pulled some petrified birdshit off the top of the chassis with a pliers! Ugggh. Feathers and monstorous dustbunny infestation in the cab too. But after going over everything with some oxy-clean and Caig D5, it's lookin mighty fine and operating tip top! Will try to do some clips in the coming weeks.

CaptainJake

That's awesome. I have a buddy who is always on the look out for stuff like this, usually lower powered stuff, a lot pulled from old record players and P.A.s. Its fun to work on too!

flcmcya

Nice Rig!.........and you can even check your hair in it. Wouldn't do me much good though. :jo

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Yeah, I love that "old amp smell" and don't mind doing a bit of work on them when necessary. I have developed enough knowledge and experience to fix most simple stuff and do typical updates (filter caps, 3-prong AC, etc.) when needed.

Short of the utter filth on the exterior, this amp was quite pristine and untouched inside. Lucked out this time.

I never cease to be amazed at how Nate Daniel managed to get the most out of the cheapest components and parts with cheesy designs and construction. These things are chock full of cheapass caps, dinky transformers and made of cardboard, fer Pete's sake, LOL!

riffmeister

These are definitely funky amps. There's one in my collection, too.

Funky 2-story construction (note the bundle of wires on the left connecting the two 'floors'), funky reverb, funky trannies, funky power tubes (metal cased 6L6's):

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
DK - hey man, where have you been? Good to see you back around!

Riffy - ha! I've got one of those too. Gotta love Nate Daniel - that amp has the goofiest standby design I've ever seen--shorts out the grids on the 6L6s--cheapass voltage doubler in the filter section and by far the squirreliest, most interactive v-t-b circuit I've tried. And it's louder than #$@* too, LOL! The cleans are just outrageous though!

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Isn't that the same as a Silvertone?
Danelectro OEM'ed most popular Silvertone models and there was some overlap in their models but AFAIK, there never was a Silvertone like the DM or DS series amps.

dbeeman

Leon. where so you find all this crap? ;)

You seems to have a knack for getting these old POS amps that have character and tone.

riffmeister

Leon, mine's a great sounding little amp. As it warms up, though, it starts to get mushy. I need to make clips some time.....

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Leon. where so you find all this crap? ;)

You seems to have a knack for getting these old POS amps that have character and tone.
I don't know man, I just look in the usual places, eBay, CL, here, local shops, this one came from eBay but you find them elsewhere from time to time... I think it's mostly a question of learning about specific amps and then seeking them out.

Riff - sounds like power tubes maybe?

garfight

Sweet score man :aok
i had a ds-50 a couple of years back and regret selling it to this day.they're killer amps.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Not sure why you'd call a Danelectro DM-25 a POS. I've got six vintage Dano amps including a DM-25, they all sound absolutely fabulous, and the DM-25 is the best of the bunch.
Doesn't come across on the web but it's what my folks called "kidding on the square". There are many guys out there who feel that they have to spend big bucks on an amp to get something that sounds good enough; to many of them, amps like this may be considered POS. So, there's more than a little irony when these cheap little amps like this sound so good.

There's no denying that these were cheaply made amps. Cheap designs, parts, components and cabs. At least they were smart enough not to go ultra-cheap on speakers though--many (most?) old Danos and Silvertones had great sounding Jensens in them.

Maruuk

I believe my 30-watt Ampeg Gemini II was also powered by a pair of 7189s. Why did this tube disappear from the scene?

gldtp99

POS ?--- Yeah, i got the joke and i share your view of amps like this--- they're not all winners but there are some very cool gems that often get overlooked.
I've got a Silvertone 1483 head here that needs a complete rebuild---was stored in a barn for many yrs and i got it cheap--- it won't clean up as well as your Dano but it will have major "character"-----but it might be a while before i can get to it......................gldtp99

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
Sweet! I love the raw sound of those babies.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Maruuk - Most Geminis used 7591s (and a few used 7868s and 6L6s) but I don't think Ampeg ever used 7189s. 7189s are little 9-pin guys, cousins with EL84s but are rated for a bit more juice.

Trending Topics