My letter to Reverb has been delivered...

V-man

For those who feel similarly, feel free to use whatever parts of this you wish to deliver your sentiments to Reverb staff:

Attention Reverb Staff:

As a preferred seller enjoying a years-long mutually beneficial relationship with Reverb, I am saddened to report my decision to remove all active sales in response to your announcement that sellers’ fees will increase from the 3.5% effective on August 3, 2020.

Your arbitrary decision to increase your fees by more than 40% is unacceptable and my listings will not be used to to further your objectives, which I find to be both selfish and greedy.

Between the seller’s fees, the credit card fees (we are practically forced to use as sole currency) and the additional seller’s fees you have tacked to shipping, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place bargaining with buyers, who now must pay sales tax (regardless of whether the good is new or secondhand). Your decision has put sellers into the intolerable situation of losing even more money or passing a heavy cost along to the buyer.
It is my hope that other sellers will follow my example and that Reverb reconsider these fee increases. In the interim, I will be considering other online and direct sales options that until now, were more burdensome and less advantageous than my previous listing arrangement with Reverb.

Please pass these remarks to the appropriate department for consideration as I truly believe Reverb’s decision is going to be detrimental to both Reverb and those it purports to serve. Thank you.

Yamaha 350

For those who feel similarly, feel free to use whatever parts of this you wish to deliver your sentiments to Reverb staff:

Attention Reverb Staff:

As a preferred seller enjoying a years-long mutually beneficial relationship with Reverb, I am saddened to report my decision to remove all active sales in response to your announcement that sellers’ fees will increase from the 3.5% effective on August 3, 2020.

Your arbitrary decision to increase your fees by more than 40% is unacceptable and my listings will not be used to to further your objectives, which I find to be both selfish and greedy.

Between the seller’s fees, the credit card fees (we are practically forced to use as sole currency) and the additional seller’s fees you have tacked to shipping, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place bargaining with buyers, who now must pay sales tax (regardless of whether the good is new or secondhand). Your decision has put sellers into the intolerable situation of losing even more money or passing a heavy cost along to the buyer.
It is my hope that other sellers will follow my example and that Reverb reconsider these fee increases. In the interim, I will be considering other online and direct sales options that until now, were more burdensome and less advantageous than my previous listing arrangement with Reverb.

Please pass these remarks to the appropriate department for consideration as I truly believe Reverb’s decision is going to be detrimental to both Reverb and those it purports to serve. Thank you.

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reverb is forcing itself to become a free advertising agency for people who want to sell their gear.
well Reverb really does all the work.
sellers take a few pictures and then put it in a box after Reverb puts it out all over the world to perspective buyers, handles the money, deals with nitwits who return things because they don’t like them, and removes the listing when it’s sold.

my biggest gripe with the emporium here is that half the things I PM people about were sold/no longer selling and the member just didn’t bother updating their listing.

Surfreak

well Reverb really does all the work.
sellers take a few pictures and then put it in a box after Reverb puts it out all over the world to perspective buyers, handles the money, deals with nitwits who return things because they don’t like them, and removes the listing when it’s sold.

my biggest gripe with the emporium here is that half the things I PM people about were sold/no longer selling and the member just didn’t bother updating their listing.
I think that is my point.

With Reverb increasing arbitrarily their fees, people will post their instruments for sale so that everyone can see them, and then push for an offline transaction that bypasses reverb.

nasonm

Supporting Member
I don't **think** I've seen anyone post this about Reverb but on eBay, they scan messages to keep people from driving sales to person-to-person OUTSIDE eBay (thereby bypassing seller fees).

I would be surprised if Reverb isn't already looking to protect against people using the system to find a buyer yet avoid paying for that service.

jm9239

Supporting Member
I support the OP on this and share the sentiment. Reverb’s fees are out of control and this is nothing more than a cash grab to boost Etsy’s bottom line. I’m done with selling and buying on there. If I see something I like for sale, which is often from a shop, I’ll contact that shop directly and do business with them without the Reverb middle man.

Plaid Sabbath

Gold Supporting Member
Convenience has a price. Some folks are willing to pay extra fees for the ease of clicking a few links and purchases showing up at their doorstep a few days later.

i guess another angle for Reverb's fee increases could be some of the burdensome dead weight listings on the site. Sure, they make more money when people spend big on guitars, drums and other pricey gear. However, I would imagine they have to put in a lot of time, effort and bandwidth to support thousands of listings that really don't bring in a lot of revenue. Add to that all of the disputes they have to resolve...shipping problems, gear broken before delivery not to mention all of the insane people they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Just saying...plenty of people are still willing to use Reverb for buying/selling. Sure, the majority of transactions are problem-free. Some people might actually feel a bit more reassured to have Reverb or Paypal or a credit card company deal with disputes. I guess it's all a matter or perspective.

Cam1936

I don't **think** I've seen anyone post this about Reverb but on eBay, they scan messages to keep people from driving sales to person-to-person OUTSIDE eBay (thereby bypassing seller fees).

I would be surprised if Reverb isn't already looking to protect against people using the system to find a buyer yet avoid paying for that service.

I was surprised how effective their scanner is. I saw an item on ebay and it just happened to be in my town. I messaged saying, "hey I'm local to you, want to do a deal?" The rest was through email and we did the deal. Later I got a angry message from ebay.

Last time I ever used that site.

Jonastown

Problem is, they start to apply fees to cover new selling tools, before implementing these selling tools. For weeks, maybe months, sellers will only see that they are receiving less money without any new advantage.

JCW308

Supporting Member

Attention Reverb Staff:

You really think they care (or even read it)?

Astronaut FX

Do you send similar letters when gas prices go up, or when groceries go up in price? I’m guessing not. Don’t like the price hike? Don’t use them. At all. It’s just that simple.

But for anyone talking about using them solely to post items, or to view items, and then take the transaction outside of Reverb, that IMO is more deceitful and troublesome than Reverb’s price hike.

If you don’t like a company’s pricing structure, policies, then don’t use them. That isn’t license to circumvent them and find a loophole to use them for free.

Trending Topics