My Li'l Dawg Prince

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stevebandworks, May 3, 2008.

1. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Thought some of you might be interested in this latest purchase - a "lunchbox" style Princeton (5F2A circuit) from Jim at Li'l Dawg. Sweet sounding amp. Bright, and normal inputs, 2 8ohm outs, line out, volume and tone. 12w. I played a couple gigs with it already - kept it dimed the whole time, controlled the amount of dirt with the guitar's volume. Loved it. Jim let me play as many RCA 6v6's as I wanted and pick a favorite, likewise with the other tubes. All this and costing less than a bunch of my pedals......

I've no official affiliation with Jim, but I'd never seen a post about what Jim is doing with these heads, and wanted to share this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

3. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I'm curious too! That amp I would certainly be interested in.
    Best Regards!

4. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Thanks for the compliments -I'll accept them on behalf of Jim! This amp cost me just over $300, maybe $330. Yup. Great price. Jim's email is on the site, and he was prompt in responding to my zillions of questions. He's a super nice guy. I actually paid for this on a monday, and he built the amp by friday for me. I have heard his Champs and D'Lux's as well. All great amps, and he can do them all in this lunchbox style. I have other great amps, but this is unbeatable at the price, or twice the price. He's not really doing woodwork (cabs) for the time being, but this is a great way to go if you already have a speaker cab, or you can get a regular chassis for a combo cab.

I'm happy to answer questions. Jim is a great guy. The best.....

5. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Someone wanted to see the back so here tis - 2 8ohm outs, and a line out.......

6. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Website? Cool lookin amp and as much as an expencive pedal. Slave out meaning you can plug it into a bigger amp . Nice!

7. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Here's the site. He doesn't detail this type of amp on the site, but he's easy to reach and super easy to talk to. I know he can do deluxe type amps in this configuration. He and I have discussed a lot of possibilities beyond the great stuff on his website.

http://www.littledawgamps.com/

8. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    very cool lookin' amp! wouldnt mind having one in my tool shed.

9. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

So what are the specs on this amp? I have a D-lux which I love. SMall but rocks. Sounds phenominal.

10. stevebandworks

stevebandworks Member

Sorry for the slow response - this is a Tweed Princeton circuit ([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5F2-A). This particular amp is a 12 watter, but Jim can do these with different transformers. You can also use a 6L6, instead of the 6V6. Volume, tone, 8-ohm out, and voila!
    [/FONT]

11. supa_scoopa

supa_scoopa Member

Thanks again for your patience as I really do appreciate it. The real estate market continues to be very slow here and our house is still “staged” as we await a buyer. So I’ve decided to offer cabinets from Better Built Workshops in the meantime. They are excellent reproduction cabinets and are now offering a deeper 1x12 cab for the 5F1 as well as a deep cab for the 5E3. I’m now offering builds in the chrome reproduction chassis to match them. I'm not offering cabinets for the aluminum chassis builds at this time though, but I can explain how to modify an existing cabinet for those than want to go that way.

I’d like to offer builds to those on the waiting list first as promised, but after this I’ll be taking orders as they come regardless of the date of first contact. I understand it has been a long wait for everyone, and do appreciate the initial interest you showed in the amps as well as your patience with my schedule.

The most popular models I offer are below, but I do the other tweed builds as well so if you don’t see what you want just let me know. Tube sets are included in the prices. Because there are so many speakers to choose from, I’ll only quote them as requested and not try to list them all here.

$279 5F1 Champster chassis 8 or 12 watt aluminum chassis, JJs
    $349 5F1 Champster chassis 8 or 12 watt chrome chassis, JJs
    $599 5F1 Champster 1x12 combo chrome chassis, JJs, Better Built cab, no speaker

$299 5F2A Prince chassis 12 watt aluminum chassis, JJs
    $369 5F2A Prince chassis 12 watt chrome chassis, JJs
    $619 5F2A Prince 1x12 combo 12 watt chrome chassis, JJs, Better Built cab, no speaker

$379 5E3 D-Lux chassis aluminum chassis, JJs
    $459 5E3 D-Lux chassis chrome chassis, JJs
    $709 5E3 D-Lux 1x12 combo 12 or 25 watt chrome chassis, JJs, Better Built cab, no speaker

$479 Pug chassis 18 watt aluminum chassis, JJs/5V4
    $579 Pug chassis w/ reverb aluminum chassis, JJs/5V4, reverb tank

The standard 5F1 Champster aluminum chassis includes a Fender style jewel, three position toggle switch that gives you off/standby/on in a single switch, parallel speaker outputs (single output on the chrome chassis), and a set of JJ tubes (1 5AR4, 1 6V6GT, and 1 12AX7). The chrome chassis uses a combination on/off switch & volume control. There are two different versions of the Champster available, the standard model has a 8 watt 4 ohm output transformer and the "Champster Special" has a 12 watt 8 ohm output transformer if you need to have the extra power. You can also run both models with a 6L6GC using either a 5U4G or a 5AR4/GZ34 too. A tone control can also be added to the aluminum chassis build for $20.

The 5F2A Prince chassis includes a Fender style jewel, three position toggle switch that gives you off/standby/on in a single switch (traditional toggle on the chrome chassis), 12 watt @ 8 ohm output transformer, tone control, parallel speaker outputs (single speaker output on the chrome chassis), and a set of JJ tubes (1 5AR4, 1 6V6GT, and 1 12AX7). It has a bit more clean headroom than the Champster and is a nice step in between the 5F1 & 5E3 circuits. It can also run a 6L6GC using either a 5U4G or a 5AR4/GZ34 too.

The standard 5E3 D-Lux aluminum chassis includes a Fender style jewel color, three position toggle switch that gives you off/standby/on in a single switch (separate toggles on the chrome chassis), parallel speaker outputs, and a set of JJ tubes (1 5AR4, 2 6V6GT or 6L6GC, 1 12AX7, and 1 12AT7). You also get your choice of a 12 watt or 25 watt 8 ohm output transformer if you need a bit more power. The 12 watt is the "smokey" one where the 25 watt is more aggressive in nature.

The Pug is an 18 watt circuit for the folks who like the Marshall sound. It’s a high gain single channel circuit with hi/lo inputs, 1 volume, and 1 tone control. Tubes will be 1 5V4 rectifier (USA), 2 JJ EL84s, and 2 JJ 12AX7s. A 5Y3GT, 5U4G, or 5AR4/GZ34 could also be used as a rectifier for different amounts of sag & compression. I'm using a set of Heyboer 18 watt trannies and will be building the circuit in a 17”x 6.5”x 2.5” chassis box that also fits the BluesBreaker style combos or the small box head. I do add an impedance selector switch as well as the parallel outputs. Most folks buy the "TMB" style chassis (treble, mid, bass) but only use the normal channel anyway so the simpler circuit build makes a lot of sense. The recommended speaker for the Pug will be a Weber C-1230-16. I’ve recently tried them in my cabinets and it was an excellent match to the Pug. I also do the Pug with reverb now, real three-knob tube reverb with dwell, mix, and tone, and it will be in the same chassis as the non-reverb Pug.

I do offer a line out also for $10 on all aluminum chassis builds and some chrome chassis builds, so you can slave another amp or go direct to the PA or recording. It's not just a "compensated" line out, but tapped right off the speaker outputs for the full response of the amp pushing the speaker.

Some people just have to have a fresh set of tubes, but when available I offer good USA labeled 6V6GT, 6L6GC, 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AY7, 5U4G, and 5Y3GT "pulls" as substitutes for the JJs. I think they offer a sweeter tone that's not available from the tube producers today. They are all tested and strong, so the choice is up to the individual.

I know a lot of folks already have tubes and speakers so I can adjust the prices accordingly.

Shipping is always extra of course and I ship with FedEx exclusively to the lower 48 states with a flat fee of $25 for a chassis build and $50 for a 1x12 combo.

If you have a favorite speaker you want let me know and I'll check out the pricing on them. I'm set up to buy Jensen & Weber as an OEM so I can save you some money.

I would need to itemize a build so we’re on the same page, and then we can work out the final cost. This email address works fine for PayPal, and a USPS money order is the next best as either would let me ship the amp without a delay after completion. Personal checks or other types of payment would have a 7-10 day delay while the funds clear my bank. CA residents will pay a sales tax of 8.25%

Thanks again,
    Jim

Jim Nickelson
    906 Sparta Way
    Lincoln, CA 95648
    jim@littledawgamps.com
    916-434-0844 home
    916-521-8002 cell
    Make a joyful noise unto the Lord! Psalm 100

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

Jim, good to see your on this forum. I love my D-lux. Your products and service are great.

Are you going to be publishing any sound clips in the near future of your amps? I have yet to hear a recording (or see pics for that matter) of the Pug.