My line 6 m13 experience

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by stillremains, Feb 17, 2009.

1. stillremains

stillremains Member

It s been 2 weeks now with my M13, and have to admit it’s just not my thing.

This is only my opinion I’m not posting this to stir things up, I’m posting this because this forum was a huge part of my decision to buy this unit.

The Distortion, Overdrive, and filters are just not usable. The distortions and overdrives are very hollow and the filters are fun at first but nothing I would ever use.

The Mod’s again are fine but just don’t cut it. If you have a favourite pedal you use chances are this is not going to match the effect. It didn’t in my case

The delays are Great I have no problems here but I paid 700$ CND for this thing and it’s just not worth it for delays.

In a live setting it’s not as easy as having your Favourite pedal in front of you where you can tweak it as you go, I understand what they tried to accomplish with the single pedals but I still found myself flipping from one effect to another trying to get the sound right, you end up putting so much thought into it you lose focus. You can try to set this up at home but it’s never the same as in a jam or live show.
    I’ve decided this thing has to go.

Thanks for reading. :hide

2. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks for the input. I like to hear good and bad about products. I have to say I love the M13 thus far. I've already played several electric and one acoustic gig with it.

One thing I would disagree with you about. It is as easy as tweaking a pedal on the fly. It works just like a real pedal. I think the screamer sounds as good as my TS-9. Plus I can actually tweak it more because it has bass and treble levels that a real TS-9 doesn't have.

Sorry you didn't care for it. IT works great for my cover band. I'm using all kinds of sounds that I didn't have available with my previous pedal board.

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

It's definitely a compromise relative to the real pedal boards you and I have painstakingly assembled for ourselves over many years at a cost (for me at least) far exceeding the $449 I paid new for my M13.

By definition, compromise means you get some, but not all, of your preferences. In the end, as with any piece of gear, it comes down to simply whether, overall, we feel sufficiently satisfied to stick with the gear. It's fine that, with respect to your M13, you've concluded you can't, absolutely no need to hide behind a couch with this here crowd. I certainly won't be hiding when I post my first (and last!) <1 year-old Les Paul for sale here soon because, similarly to you and your M13, I can't live with that Gibson any longer, either. :)

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I disagree. Not all the effects are useful, but I've found a lot of good stuff in there. The Tube OD is great for adding crunch to a clean sound. Most of the modulations are really good. The Dimension chorus particularly is excellent. I use the phase shifter, flanger and tremolo too. The only seriously disappointing modulation effect for me is the Uni-vibe. I'm a big UV fan and they missed by a mile on that one. Delays are good too.

5. Jon Silberman

On the overdrives, the key, I'm finding, is lowering the overdrive/gain while raising the output/volume. With the former up, most sound "raspy." With the fomer down, much smoother. In defense of Line 6, this is no different from how many real overdrive pedals react to tweaking.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'd be suspicious if ANY pedal or ME had only people that gave it good/great reviews.

That said, you mention "in live shows" but I couldn't get a sense of if you had used it yet with a band or were just theorizing?

I noticed several reviewers (at least 3 or 4) mentioning not being blown away by the OD's but being surprised at how well they sounded either playing live, and/or hearing recordings from their live show.

Personally, when I get mine (any day now it should be here) I plan on...being relistic, I'll be checking out all the pedal models, but after that day is over, I plan on picking the best OD, etc. and get used to them...tweaking, trying with different amps, etc.

I hope I don't experience it as you did about tweaking on the fly, I choose the unit because it sure seems (on paper so far) that they did all they could to have it be VERY much like pedals, with knobs, dedicated to the normal knobs you'd find on the pedals.

Sorry you didn't like yours. I'll see how I do with mine...

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I have a fairly expensive amp (my most expensive one actually) that you just described to a tee :BEER

8. stillremains

stillremains Member

I have used it with the band practice and for 1 live show, and I found myself constantly wanting to adjust the dam thing and wondering if there was another better sounding OD or Dist..... that’s what i meant about not being like a regular board where you have 1 OD and 1 Dist, and so on.

I understand the concept about have all the different effects at your disposal but I’m not willing to give up my single pedals for it nor am I willing to drag along a massive amount of pedals.

Like i stated please don't take this as an attack on the product, I know many of you like this and probably can get great sounds out of it that would make me say that’s sounds F!&#ing awesome.

Thanks

9. The Scrutinizer

The Scrutinizer Active Member

Love my M13 !

I use it mainly for verbs, mods, and delays in concert w/my micro pog, and microvibe, and soon to be added tubedrver

THis is a very easy board to tweak on the fly live, and it is so cool that I can arrange the sequence of effects in any order and stack whatever I want

I did battle the H20 vs the delay/chorus of the M13 & the H20 won, but I need more sounds than the H20 can deliver, so I chose convenience !

10. Jon Silberman

Even if it was an attack on the product, if it doesn't work for you, as long as you express (as you have) objective reasons why - not, my ex-wife works for the company or the color of the metal frame bugs me - you're as entitled to your opinions as anyone. Myself, on the longer M13 thread, I've posted both positive and negative feedback on aspects of the device.

It's a tough situation for the builder. When you build one analog pedal, chances are the people who hear it and buy it will generally dig it afterwards. When you're digitally modeling 85 pedals, there's so much more room for folks to be disappointed.

Myself, I'm still learning the device's capabilities. There are definitely some models I don't like but many I do and some I really dig. As far as I'm concerned, for my own uses, it's fine if 9 of the 11 or whatever overdrive/distortion models don't please me as long as the remaining 2 do. Once I'm satisfied, everything else is gravy.

What I'm learning, though, is other equally reasonable folks don't process their experiences this way. I read posts by people who say either or both, "It's loaded with excess models I'll never want or use," and/or, "There's a couple of models I just hate, it turns me off to the whole thing."

This is why there's vanilla and chocolate. :)

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

I don't have an m13, but, 2 wks with any complex pedalboard is not enough.
    Maybe this is your first multi-pedal board. You really have to choose the best aspects of each effect and see if you can work with it. You also may have to integrate an outboard pedal or 2.
    OTOH, you may be absolutely right and will never get exactly what you want out of it. But if you don't have a lot of multi-fx experience, (maybe you do), 2 wks is a short assesment time, imo.

12. Jon Silberman

For my "real" board," I also use an H2O that I love. I've always left it set on a "leslie" type sound for a faux organ sound that I get together with milking the volume knob on my guitar for swells.

I spent some time with the M13's various chorus models. I've found that, tweaked to my standards, the Tri-Chorus model sounds very good and quite similar to my H2O.

13. stillremains

stillremains Member

I actually do have experience with multi-effect, I've had many from your inexpensive Zoom, digitech to the Boos GT-8, i didn't get along with those either.

Maybe 2 weeks is not long enough for some people, For me it's plenty.

every time i buy a multi pedal i end up selling it and saying never again, yet i find myself reading reviews on new products and wanting to experiment. M13 was at some times a fun experiment and at sometimes not, so once again I’m selling another multi pedal.

until next time....

14. The Scrutinizer

The Scrutinizer Active Member

Yeah, tri-chorus, dimension, and analog chorus do it for me

if I get the right mods in concert w/my microvibe, I get very palatable vibe tones in which I don't feel the need to shell out 300 plus dollars

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

If I read you right...you sound like me. Honest to god, if I have three GREAT OD's even on my pedalboard, whichever one I use, takes me out of the music and I wonder if I ought to have stomped on another instead.

If I only have one (that would normally be a Zendrive) no worries, no choices, no problem.

I know it sounds weird, but I still think I will be able to use the M13, as "I'm going to set my mind right"...

It's just not for you. You tried it, gave it a fair chance, and it isn't for you. I don't think anyone reasonable would think you are just dissing it, I sure don't.

Was curious what you don't like about the OD (besides having a lot of them to choose from) if you think they lack bass, or treble, or mid, or just sound too harsh or smooth...?

16. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

HEY cool, another H2O chorus fan! I have owned many (and even bought a single one, but it isn't sounding as good as the one in the H2O to my ears, even though it is supposed to be the same) choruses, and to me the H2O beats them all.

When I get my M13 I plan on using at least my favorite wah along with it, will see what else, most likely a offboard real fuzz as well...

17. Jon Silberman

I can tell you that, for myself, I'm only using one "pure overdrive" right now - the Screamer model. I have the bass maxed, the treble low, the drive very low, the output maxed. The result is smooth and full. Had I not made these adjustments, it would be harsh and thin. (I'm also using the Comp Boost, which includes a drive knob, for slide.)

18. Design Guy

Design Guy Member

Well, even if it didn't work for you, I'm glad you gave it a try. I don't think anyone ever expects to please all the people, all the time, but that doesn't mean we don't try.

...sorry it wasn't "for you", but thanks for your feedback, and for giving the M13 a fair shake!

Cheers,
    D

19. stillremains

stillremains Member

I wasn't impressed with the OD's, i found them to be a bit to harsh side of things not transparent at all. I couldn't find a happy medium.

20. Elmer

Elmer hell is chrome

No big deal, not everything works for everyone. FWIW, it took me about 3 weeks to get the drives sorted out to where I felt comfortable playing them at a gig. I found similar results as John with regards to the gain and output settings. I got even better results by rolling the treble back a good bit. I played my first gig with it last weekend (80's cover band) and it worked out quite well for me.

At least you gave it a shot and tried it in a couple of different settings before deciding it wasn't for you. That's far better than the "I've never played it but it's Line 6, so it must suck" reasoning.