My Marshall 20 and cab arrived today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shemp, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Shemp

Shemp Member

It's everything I've read about plus a bag of chips. Very cool being able to get a realistic Marshall stack tone at 20 watt volume.

Interesting side note is how great my Carr Rambler sounds plugged into the 2X12 slant cab with G12H30s.

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

How loud is it compared to the Rambler when it starts to give up the goods?
    Are those the Heritage Celestions?

Thanks, Pete.

3. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Sounds cool Jack. How does the 2061x's volume compare to your Route 66? That cab is a great sounding cab.

Enjoy!

<M

4. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Sweet man! Can't wait for mine!

5. Shemp

Shemp Member

It ends up much louder than the Rambler, but I've never considered my Rambler to be terribly loud. I have a SF Deluxe REverb running a pair of greyplate 6V6s in it that's louder than the Rambler.

The Marshall has real nice clean tone, but you don't get a lot of volume before it starts to give it up. I plugged a slapback delay in front of it today and played clean with a variety of guitars and it sounds very sweet, It would probably record nicely, but you'd have to mike it to use the cleans live.

The cranked tone is really where this thing is at.

I played my R7 with Voodoo 59s through it for an hour or so this afternoon and it is truly inspiring. Great crunch and sustain.

The only niggle I have so far is a pretty loud hum when you jumper the channels. It comes out of the lead channel.

You don't notice it when playing, but it's there when you're not.

6. Shemp

Shemp Member

They're in the same family for sure, but the 2061 sounds like a plexi and the Rt 66 sounds like a JTM 45. Plenty of room for both. In fact I can't wait to try the Rt 66 through the 2061 cab.

7. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

You've got a ground loop that could potentially be eliminated with a jumper that has the ground connection at one end disconnected. I did these for a tweed twin once that was having the same issue and the problem went away.

8. brent

brent Member

mine is dead quiet when jumpered but it does sound different dependign on which channel you plug into first, I currently prefer plugging into the bass channel jumpering to the lead

9. Shemp

Shemp Member

I tried that this morning... no success. I'll have to call my dealer and see what they say.

10. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Shemp - mine doesn't hum loud either when the channels are jumpered together, definitely get it checked out!!

Great amp, eh? :D

--chiba

11. Shemp

Shemp Member

I spent another hour or two with it yesterday afternoon playing a 60s Relic Strat with Fralin Blues and a steel pole bridge. I used an Ibanez Echomachine for a bit of delay and an FD II for boost and dirt. All I can say is wow. This amp is way more versatile than I thought at first. There's only 4 knobs, but with the 4 inputs you can really tweak this thing for a bunch of different tones. It sure loves the FDII.

The cab is simply excellent. It's pricey, but I think worth every penny. I'm going to run my RT 66 through it as well.

12. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Chiba, I've been waiting for you to get the cab. I remember when Brian told me you had purchased the head. I had the head and cab for awhile at that point and thought wait till he gets some time with the cab. Marshall put some special sauce in it.

13. brent

brent Member

I've been touting that cab to anybody who would listen, I was shocked at how well it was built and how great it sounded. The head is great but the cab is right up there too.

14. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

:) please don't hold your breath - I don't want to be responsible if you pass out & hit your head! I probably won't go after the cab, I'm really a 1x12 kind of guy. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 2x10 or even a 4x10, but me being me, I can't really decide.

--chiba

15. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

was just my 2 cents, which is worth nothing.

16. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Shemp, have you looked inside the cab to see if the speakers are the Celestion "Heritage" or the G12H30 Anniversary speakers yet? And if they're the Heritage model, which ones...the G12H30 or the G12M20?

I ask only since Moods has a 2x12 cab and it came with Anniversaries (since replaced with G12M's) and wondered what Marshall is shipping in that cab.

Thanks!

17. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

They're shipping G12H30's in that one Jim. I'm not getting the cab myself. Just the head. I'd love a cab those dimensions, and there's other options for me unloaded so I can put what I want in there. <patienly waiting to hear about your M's> :D:D

18. brent

brent Member

mine has the Anniversary G12H30's which is how they are shipping now, I was kind of peeved about this as they had initially specced the 55hz Heritage like the HW 4x12's are supposed to have
    But I'm happy with the anniversaries, they are voiced really well for the 2061 and sound really good with the Flexi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Scumback Speakers

big mike, I get the first "M" sample from Weber any day now. I'll probably have Moods, LeonC & some other local players check them out for me after I get them in. They've got pretty good ears going on, so they're a good place to start locally.

I suppose that it might sound different in the Bay Area though... so if I needed someone to "test" the new M clones, do you know anyone up there who would volunteer for being a tester? ;)

20. Scumback Speakers

I'm kind of intrigued with the small 2x12 1/2 stack look they've got going on in that cab and considered doing something along those lines, too. I heard Moods cab over here, and it kicked butt pretty good with the Vox G12M he got from me.

I may have to see about borrowing it and see if it makes sense to have one made to those dimensions. It did have a very full sound with the G12M's, so we'll see if it still impresses me with the full line of speakers Weber is making me.