My Marshall 20 and cab arrived today...

Shemp

Member
Messages
981
It's everything I've read about plus a bag of chips. Very cool being able to get a realistic Marshall stack tone at 20 watt volume.

Interesting side note is how great my Carr Rambler sounds plugged into the 2X12 slant cab with G12H30s.
 

trisonic

Member
Messages
13,152
How loud is it compared to the Rambler when it starts to give up the goods?
Are those the Heritage Celestions?

Thanks, Pete.
 

Moods

Member
Messages
993
Sounds cool Jack. How does the 2061x's volume compare to your Route 66? That cab is a great sounding cab.

Enjoy!

<M
 

Shemp

Member
Messages
981
Originally posted by trisonic
How loud is it compared to the Rambler when it starts to give up the goods?
Are those the Heritage Celestions?

Thanks, Pete.
It ends up much louder than the Rambler, but I've never considered my Rambler to be terribly loud. I have a SF Deluxe REverb running a pair of greyplate 6V6s in it that's louder than the Rambler.

The Marshall has real nice clean tone, but you don't get a lot of volume before it starts to give it up. I plugged a slapback delay in front of it today and played clean with a variety of guitars and it sounds very sweet, It would probably record nicely, but you'd have to mike it to use the cleans live.

The cranked tone is really where this thing is at.

I played my R7 with Voodoo 59s through it for an hour or so this afternoon and it is truly inspiring. Great crunch and sustain.

The only niggle I have so far is a pretty loud hum when you jumper the channels. It comes out of the lead channel.

You don't notice it when playing, but it's there when you're not.
 

Shemp

Member
Messages
981
Originally posted by Moods
Sounds cool Jack. How does the 2061x's volume compare to your Route 66? That cab is a great sounding cab.

Enjoy!

<M
They're in the same family for sure, but the 2061 sounds like a plexi and the Rt 66 sounds like a JTM 45. Plenty of room for both. In fact I can't wait to try the Rt 66 through the 2061 cab.
 

illinimax

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
1,594
Originally posted by Shemp
...

The only niggle I have so far is a pretty loud hum when you jumper the channels. It comes out of the lead channel.

You don't notice it when playing, but it's there when you're not.
You've got a ground loop that could potentially be eliminated with a jumper that has the ground connection at one end disconnected. I did these for a tweed twin once that was having the same issue and the problem went away.
 

brent

Member
Messages
1,118
Originally posted by illinimax
You've got a ground loop that could potentially be eliminated with a jumper that has the ground connection at one end disconnected. I did these for a tweed twin once that was having the same issue and the problem went away.

mine is dead quiet when jumpered but it does sound different dependign on which channel you plug into first, I currently prefer plugging into the bass channel jumpering to the lead
 

Shemp

Member
Messages
981
Originally posted by illinimax
You've got a ground loop that could potentially be eliminated with a jumper that has the ground connection at one end disconnected. I did these for a tweed twin once that was having the same issue and the problem went away.
I tried that this morning... no success. I'll have to call my dealer and see what they say.
 

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
7,830
Shemp - mine doesn't hum loud either when the channels are jumpered together, definitely get it checked out!!

Great amp, eh? :D

--chiba
 

Shemp

Member
Messages
981
Originally posted by Chiba
Shemp - mine doesn't hum loud either when the channels are jumpered together, definitely get it checked out!!

Great amp, eh? :D

--chiba
I spent another hour or two with it yesterday afternoon playing a 60s Relic Strat with Fralin Blues and a steel pole bridge. I used an Ibanez Echomachine for a bit of delay and an FD II for boost and dirt. All I can say is wow. This amp is way more versatile than I thought at first. There's only 4 knobs, but with the 4 inputs you can really tweak this thing for a bunch of different tones. It sure loves the FDII.

The cab is simply excellent. It's pricey, but I think worth every penny. I'm going to run my RT 66 through it as well.
 

Souled Out

Member
Messages
497
Originally posted by Chiba
Shemp - mine doesn't hum loud either when the channels are jumpered together, definitely get it checked out!!

Great amp, eh? :D

--chiba
Chiba, I've been waiting for you to get the cab. I remember when Brian told me you had purchased the head. I had the head and cab for awhile at that point and thought wait till he gets some time with the cab. Marshall put some special sauce in it.
 

brent

Member
Messages
1,118
I've been touting that cab to anybody who would listen, I was shocked at how well it was built and how great it sounded. The head is great but the cab is right up there too.
 

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
7,830
Originally posted by Santana Brazilian
Chiba, I've been waiting for you to get the cab. I remember when Brian told me you had purchased the head. I had the head and cab for awhile at that point and thought wait till he gets some time with the cab. Marshall put some special sauce in it.
:) please don't hold your breath - I don't want to be responsible if you pass out & hit your head! I probably won't go after the cab, I'm really a 1x12 kind of guy. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 2x10 or even a 4x10, but me being me, I can't really decide.

--chiba
 

Souled Out

Member
Messages
497
Originally posted by Chiba
:) please don't hold your breath - I don't want to be responsible if you pass out & hit your head! I probably won't go after the cab, I'm really a 1x12 kind of guy. I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 2x10 or even a 4x10, but me being me, I can't really decide.

--chiba
was just my 2 cents, which is worth nothing.
 

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
10,908
Shemp, have you looked inside the cab to see if the speakers are the Celestion "Heritage" or the G12H30 Anniversary speakers yet? And if they're the Heritage model, which ones...the G12H30 or the G12M20?

I ask only since Moods has a 2x12 cab and it came with Anniversaries (since replaced with G12M's) and wondered what Marshall is shipping in that cab.

Thanks!
 

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
13,283
Originally posted by Scumbag
Shemp, have you looked inside the cab to see if the speakers are the Celestion "Heritage" or the G12H30 Anniversary speakers yet? And if they're the Heritage model, which ones...the G12H30 or the G12M20?

I ask only since Moods has a 2x12 cab and it came with Anniversaries (since replaced with G12M's) and wondered what Marshall is shipping in that cab.

Thanks!
They're shipping G12H30's in that one Jim. I'm not getting the cab myself. Just the head. I'd love a cab those dimensions, and there's other options for me unloaded so I can put what I want in there. <patienly waiting to hear about your M's> :D:D
 

brent

Member
Messages
1,118
Originally posted by Scumbag
Shemp, have you looked inside the cab to see if the speakers are the Celestion "Heritage" or the G12H30 Anniversary speakers yet? And if they're the Heritage model, which ones...the G12H30 or the G12M20?

I ask only since Moods has a 2x12 cab and it came with Anniversaries (since replaced with G12M's) and wondered what Marshall is shipping in that cab.

Thanks!
mine has the Anniversary G12H30's which is how they are shipping now, I was kind of peeved about this as they had initially specced the 55hz Heritage like the HW 4x12's are supposed to have
But I'm happy with the anniversaries, they are voiced really well for the 2061 and sound really good with the Flexi



 

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
10,908
Originally posted by big mike
They're shipping G12H30's in that one Jim. I'm not getting the cab myself. Just the head. I'd love a cab those dimensions, and there's other options for me unloaded so I can put what I want in there. <patienly waiting to hear about your M's> :D:D
big mike, I get the first "M" sample from Weber any day now. I'll probably have Moods, LeonC & some other local players check them out for me after I get them in. They've got pretty good ears going on, so they're a good place to start locally.

I suppose that it might sound different in the Bay Area though... so if I needed someone to "test" the new M clones, do you know anyone up there who would volunteer for being a tester? ;)
 

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
10,908
Originally posted by brent
mine has the Anniversary G12H30's which is how they are shipping now, I was kind of peeved about this as they had initially specced the 55hz Heritage like the HW 4x12's are supposed to have
But I'm happy with the anniversaries, they are voiced really well for the 2061 and sound really good with the Flexi...
I'm kind of intrigued with the small 2x12 1/2 stack look they've got going on in that cab and considered doing something along those lines, too. I heard Moods cab over here, and it kicked butt pretty good with the Vox G12M he got from me.

I may have to see about borrowing it and see if it makes sense to have one made to those dimensions. It did have a very full sound with the G12M's, so we'll see if it still impresses me with the full line of speakers Weber is making me.
 




Top