My Marshall 2061X- one year on...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tonepolice, Jan 16, 2008.

1. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    I've had my Handwired 2061X and 2061CX cab for a little over a year. There are lots of praises of its tone when dimed...but I for one have observed that this amp can sound amazing at any volumes. For example with tone on 9 and volume on 2-4 on the top input of the bright channel with my 61 RI SG it sounds amazing. On strat and teles with volume around 5-6 with the RC booster to kick for solo boost it sounds divine!

But then again the dimed tone is great as well and a lot of threads here reveals that most users of this amp use it like this (one trick pony). Just wanted to share that it sounds great at lower volumes too. Inputs?

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Member

Not a Marshall 2061X owner, but liked the ones I have played.
    Congrats for discovering the fun of low-power amps. My 18 watt amp has been a lifesaver for me on some small gigs. Even with the volume on 2 or 3 it still sounds great.

3. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

I had a 2061x head and cab and thought they were amazing! Great tones at all volumes and with a wide variety of guitars.

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

I'm the current owner of cg's 2061x, replacing an original '73 that was stolen. The RI is a dead-nuts copy in tone as well as looks. The things I like most about it: the flexibility of sounds you can get out of it by jumpering the inputs and then varying the two volume and tone controls, and its light weight and good power. I was surprised at what a powerhouse the matching 2061cx cab is. Makes the amp soung very big.

Neat package, and kudos to Marshall for this excellent RI (well, as long as the OPT doesn't blow up).

=K

5. tonepolice

tonepolice Member

Kathmandu, Nepal in the middle of the Himalayan mo
    I've read somewhere that the new 2061x units comes with new better Output transformers than the very early reissues.

6. katarzis

katarzis Member

anyone tried using the 2061x with the 1974cx cab?

7. gizmo

gizmo Member

Sort of...

I have a vintage '73 2061 that I play through an old 1x12 JCM 800 closed back cab. I replaced the stock speaker with a Heritage series G12M greenback. The speaker did not come with the special 1974cx "aging", whatever that is, but it sounds great to my ears. I love the middiness and notes always seem to have that trademark Marshall "hair" even when playing with lower volumes.

Don't know if a real 1974cx cab would sound better but I doubt it would sound worse than my poor man's replica.

8. retrobob

retrobob Member

I put Mercury Magnetics transformers in my 2061X. The originals sounded fine. But, the Mercs. are closer to what the vintage transformers were like. The amp sounds even better now! And I won't have to worry about a tranny blowout.

9. cswanston

cswanston Member

The 2061cx is the best cabinet I've heard for EL84 amps, and it's a perfect match for the 2061x. It brings out tight lows and maintains the high-mid and top end sizzle. It's pretty light, and it's about as cool looking as the 2061x.

Like mine did. It's still in pieces at the moment. It was a smoking, beautful little amp until it started sounding like a handheld am transistor radioo (both in terms of volume and tone) in the middle of a gig.

10. rockbutt

rockbutt Member

I agree. The Marshall 2061cx is a perfect match for the 2061x head....better match than the 1960ax with Greenbacks.

Purchased them about 4 months ago and discovered a way to obtain a clean sparkling sound with plenty of headroom by connecting directly to the Bass ch. and .... without jumpering.

HereĀ“s what I did.
    1-connect guitar to the top input of the Bass ch.
    2- set the Tone control on the Bass ch. to 10.
    3-set the Tone control of the Lead ch. to 0.
    4-set the Volume control on the Lead ch. to almost 8.
    5-turn the volume up on the Bass ch to taste (2-6)

My 2061x is stock, without any mods.

11. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I got to play one of these this past weekend and was quite impressed. I had my Tele going through the 2061x and 2061cx and through the lead channel kept the tone knob at about 4 with volume around 7 and really got to modulate the tone with my guitar volume...really awesome. The best sound of the day came when putting the Fulltone Octafuzz in front of it and turning the octave off...really huge tone, even for a tele. I think I'm going to give the Soultone kit a try and see how close (if not better) I can get a clone to the Marshall reissue. Should be a fun project and a fun amp when done.

12. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The 20 watter has less gain than the 18, right?

13. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

The long tail schmidt splitter in the 18W drives the EL84's harder than the PI in the 20W. It's channels are out of phase, so it doesn't jumper well. It's a great blues amp, with its EZ81 rectifier tube.

The 2061 has the classic marshall krang, a stiffer bottom with its solid state rectiifer diodes and its channels are in phase so you can jumper the channels together. It's more of a mini-plexi, and can be played on the edge of breakup with a tube screamer, OCD, or other good quality pedal to push it over the top (without which, yes it has more headroom than an 18). Its splitter is an older differential type that was more popular in public address systems, so there's no voltage blocking cap needed on the input grid fed from the passive mixer. It's a pretty cool design - enough so that I built an amp called a wilbur that could switch between either splitter (and a few other diffs) and you can really hear the difference in the two.

I like both, but I will admit I like the 20W moreso than the 18W - I think it's one of Marshall's best kept secrets. I've noticed that fans of the 18W tend to be those who want their entire tone to be the guitar, a cord, and the amp. - so it's got to deliver all the goods. 20W fans are people who like an amp on the edge that takes the pedals well. Not that it can't grind when cranked - but damn, it's a LOUD 20W!

The kits I was selling have mercury magnetics transformers which are more accurate to the original RS 20W transformers (actually different than the 18W ones, or the standard 18W ones) than what marshall's using in their reisue, and you could wire the kit up just like any of the different original versions (and there were a number of versions).

Some TGP'ers down in Florida put together a tone shoot out with the original against someone's kit... Guess which one won?

;)

Maybe the gent who had the soultone 2061 will chime in here about that.

Anyway... I dig on the 2061 and 2061X - IMHO the 2061X is the best amp in their current line up! Had they gotten the transformer thing right and offered the options of the other original 20W'er PA heads, I might not have become an evil cloner...

:)

All that being said, I sold 48 of those kits this year, have only two chassis units left, and probably won't run more until next year (when and if the economy picks up). But you could probably get a 2061X cheap on ebay, play it til the xformers blow, and toss some mercurys in there for a stealer bargain, with a legit marshall logo on the cab too!

14. soldano16

soldano16 Member

When someone takes the time to reply in such a detailed manner, I must say thank you.:BEER

15. cswanston

cswanston Member

I've got one and I agree. I don't think I have ever read a better description of what the 2061x delivers. It is a thing of beauty. Your not kidding when you say it is LOUD. People should never believe anyone who says otherwise. It is the best sounding amp I have, and I have a lot of them. It's also on the sidelines because (I believe) the transformers have been fried.

16. pepperco

pepperco Member

Ditto what he said...

I bought on of the first 2061x's to land on American shores, and have never looked back. I never understood the "only dimed" practice.
    Maybe if I was playing in a GnR cover band. There are TONS of great tones to be had from this amp with the volume between 2 and 4.
    I am able to cop most all of my favorite classic rock tones. I normally run the tone at straight up 3 o'clock, and the volume just a titch above 9 o'clock. The serves as a great edgy clean tone, highly touch sensitive. I then add a boost, fuzz, or overdrive as needed, but I have played many gigs with this low volume set up, using only a cleanish overdrive for solo's. I still love this amp after 3 years !!

17. jfhudak

jfhudak Member

Count me as one of the folks who is underwhelmed with his 2061x. I have the matching cabinet. Problem is, I also have a 76 Super Lead that I play through a quad of Scumbacks so I guess I am a little spoiled. Next to that rig, the 2061 sounds a little, well. . . dull.

I have made the following improvements:

- Replaced the speakers with Scumback 25w pre-Rola clones
    - Replaced the ****** JJ tubes with NOS
    - Installed beam blockers

Those three improvements really helped the amp out a great deal, but it just sounds pretty two dimensional to me. I was toying with the idea of selling it and buying a 50 watter, but I don't know. It is a portable, cool little rig so I'd like to fix the issues.

My chief complaints:

- Boomy low end, would like to tighten it up a little
    - The highs are a little shrill, however tightening the bass will fix that
    - Not enough brilliance

I have looked for awhile to see if there are any mods out there, but haven't found any just yet. Looks like most guys are replacing the output transformers but I have yet to see any real "tone" mods.

If anyone has any good sources or suggestions, I'm game.

This is a great forum and a terrific resource! Glad you Fellers are enjoying your 20 watters. :AOK

18. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Your complaints about the 20 watter sound a lot like my complaints about G12H speakers. Maybe switching to G12M's will help?

19. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

In a push pull amp designed around a pair of power tubes with shared cathodes, the current of each tube affects the bias point of the other. It's not going to give that big sound of a fixed bias amp... However - there is an easy fix you can try to make it act more like a fixed bias amp in this regards, so it will sound much more like your 50W plexi:

Split the power tube cathodes! Instead of using one cathode resistor and cap for both power tubes, separate them, so each has their own cathode resistor and cap. The new components should be two times the value of the original components.

The amp will sound a lot more open - you can even use it with an open back cabinet after doing this, and it will sound great. It's going to respond more like a fixed bias bigger plexi now.

It's a great mod for the 18W crowd too... But SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, mums the word!

;)

EDIT: I forgot to give credit for this to TGP's very own John Philips! Thank's a bunch John - I read your posts even when I don't have anything else to add, and I really appreciate the gems you post on TGP!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  20. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Mickey do you still have 2 of the kits in stock? Also, is there a way to shoehorn in a FX loop in your 2061 kit?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008