my Marshall 40 Haze question...

gishlullmoon

im wondering, would it be worth it to replace the EL34 tubes in it with
KT-88s ? i really dig smashing pumpkins sound. BUT at the same time i like regular distortion and im not sure if i want sp distortion all the time........ so im wondering do you think itll be ok to play other kinds of distortion with it instead of smashing pumpkins?

for example......the distortion i use to create with myself is a dod grunge.... im wondering how the kt-88s would work with that....
other bands i play
nirvana oasis goo goo dolls anything i really want to recreate smashing pumpkins but at the same time have a generic 90's distortion as well.

could i pull that off??? anyone know what kt-88s sound like besides how they are on smashing pumpkins records? better yet anyone have any clips of the tubes on a amp?

ill search for you tube i havent tried it yet........but my question still stands can i get that round sound? and then have the cliche modern rock sound at the same time?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
What you are hearing on those recordings you like are many things related to the sound...The KT88's are just a small part of that equation....The room, Mics, cabinet, EQ at Board...His guitar,,,His playing style..Processing gear...He might of overdubbed the parts a few times with different amps...or reamped it.....the mastered sound....it goes on and on........
To answer your question, I would NOT put KT88's in the Haze,,,I own one as well, and the transformers are small...part of it's great singing tone, but I do not think the amp would have enough current draw for those tubes....I would replace the stock tubes with all JJ's...I did this and the amp is much more alive now

Trending Topics