my martin--help ID

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by try as i might, May 12, 2008.

1. try as i might

try as i might Member

i have a martin that I bought used a year or so ago at GC (i know, I know... not always the best place). I had thought that it was a fairly bottom line model and haggled it down to around $700. It sounded great and I am very happy with it. Good balance for finger-picking.

It is made in America, dreadnaught style, with a tortoise pick guard, solid spruce top, sides and back are mahagony, rosewood fretboard, solid headstock, dot inlay, and white binding. I will attempt to put a pic up if needed. Oh, and by the way, the serial number came back as a 2003 model.

I looked it up on martin's webpage, but I couldn't find a guitar that matched it. it looks like all the models now have black binding in their descriptions. any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

Sounds like a DM-15

3. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

it SHOULD have the model number stamped right in there on the inside of the heel block, right there with the serial number. is it not there?

but :agree, it sounds like a dm-15 from your description.

cheers,
    wade

4. try as i might

try as i might Member

that's what is confusing for me. it is stampted with "custom" where the model number should be. However, I can't believe the guitar is anything but stock. there is nothing unusual about this martin as far as the wood, finish, or detail.

thanks for the advice!

5. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

if it's stamped Custom, then it's a custom-ordered guitar. there probably is no actual "designation" for it, in that case.

really, it mostly sounds like a DM-15.......but it's the white binding that changes that. none of the 15-series guitars are bound.

if you got what amounts to a custom martin for $700, you've done really well my friend! :drink

you might want to email martin through their website--send them the serial number and explain that you bought it used and are looking for a little information on the guitar. they're usually pretty helpful folks there.

cheers,
    wade

6. try as i might

try as i might Member

thanks for all the help. I looked at the dm-15 and I agree. its the same guitar with white binding. odd that someone would go to the trouble to go custom for a dm-15 with white binding. I will email martin. that's a great idea. Thanks for all the help!!

BTW GC is a pain in the ass, but sometimes you can run into the desperate salesman who you can tell just needs to make that sale by the end of the day. that's how i ended up with this guitar--the guy was just hovering and I took the shot to cut under the offer as much as possible. I asked for something 600 and they made that "manager offer." You know, the one the never offer. right... :Devil

7. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think GC commisioned some Martin Customs that were near that price range a few years ago.

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Martin has made some custom models for Guitar Center and Musicians's Friend. Go to the MF site and do a search for 'Custom Martin' and you'll see a few.

9. playon

playon Supporting Member

if you send the serial number to Martin they can tell you exactly what it is.

10. mikeshoe

mikeshoe Member

I bought a Martin DSR-GC from GC a couple of months ago for $700 new originally $999 but they were having that president's day sale. Almost the exact same description except solid rosewood back and sides and a mahogany fretboard. Guitar Center commissioned Martin to build these it has the same "custom" stamped on the heel block. One of the guys who wrote a review of it said that he talked to Martin and they said that it was modeled after the d-28. Not sure how true that is but I'm sure you just have an earlier commission piece done by Martin. Here's a pic of it:
    [​IMG]