My Martin search

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JackButler, Feb 10, 2008.

1. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

The other day I started a Martin or Santa Cruz thread for a 000.
    Well, I played some Martins today. I told the guy I wanted under $1500, but that didn't happen!
    I started with the 16 series that sells fro around $900, blah total crap if you ask. Sounded way thin and chinzy, seriously.
    Next came the 15 series one, it sounded much better than the 16, still not for my ears though.
    I then played the Mayer sig and that was the one! Instant happiness. Full, rich, and deep. The Martin tone I remember.
    Played a few others ranging up to the near $5k mark as well, really nice stuff.
    Out came the $1300 smartwood one, I wa slike yeah right. Well, that guitar is great! Has the tortoise headstock thing and just sounded really good compared to anything else within that similar price range.
    If I was buying one today, that would have been the one!

Wish I could fiund a used one, but just seems like dreadnaughts are what come up.

Now I really would like to try a Clapton as well, but I think the Mayer would be great! If I played acoustic more, I would sell some things and get the Mayer. I have that GAS for it, but I just don't think I cna fork over that bread for something I usually only play when I'm goofing off drinking with pals.
    What do you guys think, go for the smartwood one or....?

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Have you even considered the mid (05) to high (09) end Larrivee OM's? If you haven't you probably should before you make your decision. The Larrivee's are A LOT of guitar for the money.

3. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

BTW...are you paying the map price?
    In case you might not be aware...new martins can easily be had for 40% off the retail price.
    www.maurysmusic.com or www.myfavoriteguitars.com
    (I'm not a dealer - just a recommendation)

4. frankthomson

frankthomson Member

i paid $599 for the all mahogany D-15 new when it came out, and never looked back.

oh, btw, i cancelled my order, and got my deposite back on, a Gibson J-200 in natural

i played this D15 against EVERYTHING in SamAsh that day, which had to be at least 35 guitars, and quite a few over the $3k mark

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

look around the neighborhood,check yardsales,the pennysaver,and the classified ads,and never,never be in a hurry

6. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

I'm not sure how big the tonal changes are since Martin recently changed over from mahogany to sapele on the 15 series, but my all hog 000-15 took a little time to open up. At nearly 5 years old now, she's sounding absolutely amazing. I've never had a desire to upgrade since they day I got mine, but the real reward has been with the sweeter sounding returns each year.

7. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

What happened with the Santa Cruz?

You might be interested in the 17 series Martins. They don't make them any longer, but they were like the 15 series, but with a gloss finish. I worked on a D17 last year that was absolutely amazing.

Bryan

8. tondraj

tondraj Member

I think the guitar you may have played was the SWOMGT. I had one for about 2 years...they're great guitars. You can buy one used for around $750-850.

And Pickaguitar is right. If you want to buy one new, you can get it for 40% off the retail price. The two dealers he listed are excellent.

9. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Used MArtin J 41 at GC around $2300, OMG! That is the one!

10. bvk7787

bvk7787 Member

Older all-mahogany 000-15's are great. I haven't tried one with the sapele top, but the all mahogany 000-15 has a full warmth and volume, perfect for both finger-picking and flatpicking (both have different tonal qualities, for sure, but both sound beautiful).