My Matchless Experience

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Razorblade, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Razorblade

Razorblade Member

I've just had an epiphany. I've heard the word 'matchless' over the years, never had one, never knew why I wanted one, didn't see a reason to get one, couldn't ever play one. Two came in to a local guitar shop.

First, I played the DC30. This was crisp out of the box. I played it for about 5 mins, listened to someone else play it that worked there that is a friend of mine, and that was it. I ran out of the place with it like Gollum from the Lord of the Rings movie. "myy precious".

At the same time that was unpacked there was also a custom tolex clubman and 2/12 cab. Beige face with a olive green tolex.

Well, not likely 2 weeks or so passed, and guess what. I"m heading out of the store with that one twice the Gollum I was on the first..."myyy precious"..

Ok now, I have a hand wired Vox AC30. I loved that , or so I thought. I have a hot cat badcat. I loved that even more after I got that versus the ac30.

But this matchless stuff? Ug....To me, it just has all the things I ever EVER wanted an amp to be. I think I like the clubman the most. Its chimey, way more than the vox, swirly...dirty but clean , if you know what I 'mean'. If you've played a clubman, I think you know what I'm saying here, and if you havnt, I strongly encourage you to do so. I can say that as I've been playing for 25 years, and I've had my share of amps from marshalls to orange to vox to bad cat , fender....this is it for me.

Now, I dont want to say the hot cat doenst have its place. That amp 'rocks'...but the clubman to me is a chamelion. I can dial in alot of sounds...from the beatles, to Bowie "Rebel rebel" to CSNY "ohio' to just about anything. I havnt touched the DC30 since I got the clubman, not only do I just love to look at it like its Pamela Anderson full of Spanish Fly walking out of a sauna buck naked...but I just cant fathom how I ever passed over this amp, matchless, at all, all these years. Shame on me.

Well, I cant tell you enough how much I like this and as I look around here at some posts, I know some of you do also. I think Id like to join a Clubman/DC30 Club , hell Id spend a night with hammered horney Bob Crane beating him off with a stick if I had to, just to replace this amp if I had it stolen.

man oh man....It made my day, my year, and I'm really going to enjoy both of these matchless amps, but mostly the clubman. And thats all I have to say about that (looking at you all like Forest Gump).

Razor

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

congrats! can i ask which has more gain on tap?

how would you compare the gain to the hotcat?

thanks, jon

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

they are great amps. i tend to lean towards the bad cat end of the vox/matchless/bad cat spectrum, but you really cant go wrong with any of them.

also, welome to the forum. it is a requirement that you post pics of your rig!!!!

4. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Aaaand your girlfriend/significant other/better half as well!! M.E.

5. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Welcome to the forum. . .I've got a Matchless DC30 and it's my favorite amp for single coil guitars. . .Tele, Strat, and especially a Ric 360. Don't have a Clubman, but have some gas for one.

Razorblade. . .Does your Clubman sound better with Humbuckers than the DC30? I just picked up a Voxer this weekend for my Les Paul, and I'm hoping that I'm done for a few months. . .but. . . .

Once again. . .welcome to the forum.

6. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I've been a happy guy with my C-30 for about 12 years now,
    I'm not even exactly sure what the model is, it's like a DC-30, but it's a 4x10 combo thats been discontinued for quite a few years. Anyway, hope your amps bring you as much pleasure as mine has. BTW, 12 years and the only thing I've had to do is change the tubes.:AOK

7. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I DEFINITELY want a DC30 to rock with my Bad Cat Hot Cat. That might so perfect I'd wet myself on the first chord.

:D

8. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Here is a pic of my old rig. I had both the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 and the Matchless HC30 in addition to the Top Hat Ambassador 35 which I used for cleans w/verb.

Comparing the Hot Cat to the HC30 is a little challenging because I rarely used either amp for more than one thing. The Hot Cat was always on the drive channel for smooth gain, while the HC30 was always on the drive channel for overdriven blues. The HC30 tone knob was at 12 o'clock for single coils and 9 o'clock for humbuckers. This was the poisition I liked the best. The HC30 was rated at 30 watts same as the Hot Cat, but it had a lot more ooomph to it. Unlike some, I did not find the use of the Master on the HC30 objectionable and would use it to balance out the two when I was switching between them. I guess the thing I loved about both of them was the ability to clean things up wth just the guitar volume knob - hence no need for a 'clean' channel. It was a nice setup to be sure.

9. dave s

dave s Member

First of all, congrats on the new amps. We're both Matchless amps brand new or did they come to the shop used?

If brand new, I'd be interested in what a new Clubman rig might run a body.

I've decided that my Clubman Rig (same head and matching 212) is one of two pieces of gear that will NOT leave my possession as long as I'm living. It is the best sounding amp I've heard in my life.

Again congrats on your new amps.

dave

10. gregc

gregc Member

I've not played a Clubman but a very early DC/30 hit me hard enough to let me shake loose both a Vox AC/30 and an Alessandro English head. ALL 3 of these amps a wonderful. The Matchless won my heart.
    Now I'm left wondering over the Clubman...........
    gregc

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Wow that is awesome. I set the Bad Cat pretty light-med OD anyways...gain @ 9, level at 3 or so. One of the things I dig about it is the chime factor for an EL34 amp, but I definitely am missing my run with EL84s! I might have to stuff that need with a Lightning in the meantime.

12. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I was jonezing for a clumbman ... I love Matchless amps, I have a lightning. But my scratch went to a 1965 Pro Reverb (I saved a few dollars in the process), posts like this make me wonder if I made the right choice.

:confused:

13. Razorblade

Razorblade Member

14. Razorblade

Razorblade Member

15. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

wow, you have some absolutely beautiful gear.

can you please compare the hot cat to the the matchless amps'?

thanks jon

16. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have a Clubman Reverb and an SC30. Both are great, I like the way they calibrate my ears. I have many other amps, but the Matchless amps have such a great natural tone that I can tell if another amp is in the same league. When I buy a new amp I get the best possible tone from it, then I fire up the Matchless amps and compare them. Needless to say, I still own the Clubman and SC30, while many others have hit the road.

17. Razorblade

Razorblade Member

Curehardy

The DC 30 is more midrangey/Grit dirty dog sounds than the Clubman to me. The Clubman has a bit more 'shine' and chime to my ears, than the DC 30. One might say the Clubman is 'woodier'..but gee, I dont even know what people mean by that, I thought it was cool to just say:AOK

Neither the DC30 or the Clubman has as much Gain as the Hotcat. Hmm, the hotcat really is its own thing unlike any other amp I've played. I would say in Gain structure Id have to say the Hotcat, then the DC30 and then the Clubman, but the Clubman and Matchess are 'similar. The DC30 has two channels, where as the Clubman only one.

(edit)
    The Hot cat is very aggressive , high gain, you could dial in alot of gain on this, and on the gain high channel it doesnt take much before yourself off into the distortion.
    The clean channel is nice and can be punchy when you turn it up. I dont have a reverb on this amp so, its not as 'swirly' as Id like it but its very nice. I think the Hot Cat is just that..HOT, and you can almost take yourself to an EVH world , and there is more eq optoins with the hotcat than I find with the matchless's amps. It had 'Leve', Edge, Brilliance as well as the base treble controls. That means , you can seriously affect its sonic character and so in that way, the hotcat is quite a variable sonic chameleon, but its always' hot' when your into the gain channel.
    The Clubman recorded so easily for me, I coudlnt believe it. Everything I recorded just cut through the mix and sang out. The hotcat doesnt have that 'clean clear' feature to its gainier voice, compared to the matchess's amps. I Don't recall if Ive recorded the DC 30 yet, but I probably have, I'll just have to think about that one a bit and let you know. If I had to pick two amps out of all of these, no question, thet Clubman and the Hot cat. Hands down.
    With those two amps, I dont think there isnt anywhere I couldnt go. Chime as chime can be..Tom petty, Beatles (Ticket to ride), and as I said before...Ohio by CSNY or BOWIE "rebel rebel". Its gets dirtorted and I dont really push the clubman beyond about 1 or 2 on the volume. The hot cat takes me everywhere else I want to go. Oh and btw..the DC30 is louder than the Clubman. Shrill almost. With the clubman I can bedroom this amp without projectile vomiting from pain , ..its a soft and mild pain perhaps *s*. (one step/Day closer to hearing aids for Razor).

Rusty G
    To my ears, the clubman sounds better with the Strats/SC guitar than the DC30. I would have to say the DC 30 is a more overall players amp for both hums/sc. But I still love both through the clubman.

If I 'had' to pick one amp from the two matchless, I would definatly pick the Clubman. Its just cleaner through the entire stoke all strings...Dirty but clean, chimey , like dropping pennies on a cobblestone english street corner at 3 am. I love the Clubman with my Tele and my Strat, and even the les paul. There are alot of characters in both amps, and to me, more than the vox offers. The vox sounds great clean with the Tele or slightly punched , but I dont 'love' the gain way up on the vox (because this one has a master/volume on it). The clubman and dc 30 do a better job of that for me.

I think the DC 30 is best described like a vox on steroids. I've read that before somewhere. I think its close to my ears as that.

The HOTCAT is like Bill Bixby hammered at 3 am, angry, going into Green Lou Ferrigno. WHat the heck do I mean by that? *s* I mean its really for me 'sizzle' gain /high gain amp. It definately has way more gain than the Matchless. It's its own thing, and a nice addendum to the other amps.

Greg C

Dont 'wonder' about the Clubman. Get it. Yes, it's that good. You wont regret, I'm very happy with mine. Very happy:dude

Im just wondering now hooking up which TWO to the morley switchpedal, but thats later on, I still can't get enough of each one by itself. I think I would crap my pants if two were twice as good together as one.

Get the Padel/jumper cables out for that one, I don't think my ticker could take it.

Razor

PS. I"m not very good at describing these sounds as I wish , or as well as some of you. So I'll ponder this more and try and give you a better comparison and description when I can. Perhaps post a few wav's of them all and see if that provides a better idea of these amps to your ears.

18. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Clubman is more tenor sax and the SC30 is more alto, if you get what I mean. Both have great, "real world" gain and cop that David Grissom type of tone, sparkley, yet woody. I think both are worth owning, but I would choose the Clubman Reverb if I was to only own one Matchless. The Clubman cranked full up can get real intense and yet clean up perfectly.

19. Razorblade

Razorblade Member

I hope this works. I am neither a Web Space Master, or clearly a Drummer.

this was done quickly tonight , all instruments played by moi, for whoever was curious about hearing the "Clubman'

Clubman/ strat into a royer 122 into Crane Sone ad/da --> Nuendo. No eq and mild compression vis distressor on the way in.

Do not mock me :D

http://members.shaw.ca/razorm/Clubman%20Guitar%20ex-01.mp3