My Mayo came today!!!! Im in Love...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by markom89, Jul 20, 2006.

1. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

My Skreddy Mayo finally came in the mail today, so I brought it home, opened it up and saw this beatiful little red & silver stompbox and fell in love with the look at once. Its built very solid. So I plug it into my MK IV head, turn it on, stay on CH1 (I dont really use the other channels on it) and I turn everything on the mayo to the max except the volume which stays at 9:00. I finally turn it on, and instantly fell in love with its thick lush and smooth fuzz sound. It is by FAR the best fuzz that I have ever played, and I have played vintage Big Muffs, I have a Big Muff, Vox tonebender (vintage), zvex fuzz factory, and have played some of the Cornsih fuzzes, and I can honestly tell you this beats them all by far. It can get you really high gain sounds, and as I said sounds VERY thick and the clarity of the notes remains amazing even threw the thick fuzz. Mr. Skreddy, you make goooood pedals;) I will definately be getting the screw driver and top fuel very soon. This just topped my day off, I got a wicked new digital SLR camera (I took pictures with it to show you the mayo) and booked a vacation within a vacation while Ill be in Prague and London, I will take a 1 week trip to Monaco and Paris, in 3 weeks I depart! Today Is one of the best days ever! Here are some pictures. Enjoy, and maybe other mayo owners or skreddy owners could chime in. Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loofery

loofery Member

Could it cop an Ernie Isley 'That lady' tone?

3. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Yea, it could easily get that tone, I could get pretty close with that with the mayo, my MK IV, and my strat in the neck pickup position, or tele with neck pickup. I really like the Isley brothers btw.

4. loofery

loofery Member

the mayo just looks so sexy.. and he packed a bunch in there to make it fit in the small enclosure. good build.

5. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I can't wiat to get mine.....that looks good!

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

sounds alot better than it looks, and it looks real good.;) Very good sustain too, will sustain for quite a while ("days" as some others on here like to say).

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I think the next skreddy Ill pick up is that new ? lady (thats the name of the pedal, and yes the question mark is part of the name) Its supposed to be based on the early 70's ram head muff. Looks promising, someone on TGP has one, first one Ive seen on a board. I was very surprised when I opened up the mayo, to find that mine was only number 67, thats not that high. Its funny, cause' that number has some significance to me too, It was my football number, when I played for team ontario and my old high school.

8. jimihalen

jimihalen Active Member

Man....makes me want my Screw Driver to come in today! 5 weeks and counting...

9. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Great pics! Thanks, Marco!

Yours is the very first one made with the color graphics over a transparent label. I like that look better than the opaque white version. I have a few of the white ones left, but I'll probably make them all in clear in the future.

As for the ? Lady, it's a fatter, higher-gain version of the Mayo, basically. Probably don't need both! Yes, it is targeted more specifically at the ram's head sound and has a bit of different oldschool mojo than the Mayo (a slight whiff of Hendrixiness and some Funkadelics/Eddie Hazel in addition to the obvious Isley reference). The ? Lady is probably better suited for leads or power chords, where the Mayo does equally well at rhythm and leads. I hesitated for a few months before offering the ? Lady on my website, because it is just another flavor of Muff. But enough people kept inquiring about it, so I figured what the heck. Donner's gonna offer a cool version of the ? Lady soon, too! So be on the lookout for that one in about a month (I haven't built them yet, so be patient).

Sounds like your vacation will be awesome. Take some pics for us!

10. loofery

loofery Member

So if I want Ernie and Eddie, I should go with the ? Lady over the Mayo ?

And a possibility of Gilmour and Corgan would be cool but not necessarily.

Please enlighten me, o maker.

11. Medication

Medication Member

eddie hazel....delicious...

12. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Maybe not articulate enough to get very close to Gilmour, but Corgan love(d?) interesting high-gain fuzzy tones, and there's plenty of those in the ? Lady, along with the psychedelic/funky stuff.

Edit: Note, the ? Lady does some tasty, grungy fuzz at lower sustain settings. It doesn't get as low-gain at lower sustain settings like the Mayo, but rather goes into interesting textures and still remains pretty fuzzy. At high settings it goes into tear-your-face-off mode, with an aggressive, fine-grained midrange character.

13. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Hey Marc, thanks for the info. I sent you an e-mail about an hour ago, It basically says all the stuff that Im saying here except with way more captial letters and exclamation marks, lol. Now that youve personally described the ? Lady to me, I want it even more. Higher gain, and better for leads and power chords. I want one. I saw one in the post your pedalboards thread though, you said you werent making them yet...? Ill email you about that again later on though. Thanks again Marc for making me a great pedal, too bad I cant get my hands on the zero, mayonaise and ernie!...But like I said this is the best fuzz Ive ever owned, and Ive owned lots. And yea, my vacations gonna' be pretty darn fun. I especially look forward to Monaco & Paris...Prague too...and Vienna I guess.. Lol, ill take pictures, are you going away anywhere Marc, or too busy? Cheers.!

14. loofery

loofery Member

That is awesome! I already have a ps-1b and a v847.
    They will just trounce with the fuzz.

15. trucks

trucks Member

My Skreddy collection below. I have ? Lady #3. It is amazing. Liquid sustain that can decay into feedback. ? Lady is a bit less smooth than the Ernie (think aggressive) and a bit more fuzz. Very fat and highly recommended!

[​IMG]

16. trucks

trucks Member

Marc, this statement might not apply to someone who needs a ? Lady and an Ernie. Right?! :p

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Marc, I still thimk the mayo is more Corgan than the others, do you agree with me?

?Lady or Mayo for humbuckers????

two questions, thanks for your time and kindness answering these questions

18. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

If you're a muff-addict (?!?) :crazy like me you will need both. I'm really digging both the Mayo and the ? Lady. Different shades and tones available there. I'm hoping to record a little demo at home to demonstrate the ? Lady tones. Just haven't figured out what to play yet or found the time to record it.

19. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

I'd just say the Mayo is more general purpose. Corgan is all over the map, though. The Mayo gets a good many Pumpkins rhythm tones. Billy is nothing if not creative, though! It would take a room full of vintage fuzzes and racks to do everything in the Corgan catalog. ? Lady is also suitable for some Corgan stuff.
    ? I don't know the "answer" to that, if there is a definitive one. The differences between a humbucker and a single coil pickup are greater than the differences between the Mayo and the ? Lady.

Teddy: :D Looking forward to hearing it!

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Trucks- Beautiful collection man. I envy you:) I think Ill order the ? lady one of these days. Looks, and sounds really cool based on what you guys and Marc have said. Marc really knows how to make pedals right. And its cool cause' he doesnt charge Abnormal prices like some other builders (cornish) eventhough Im positive, and know from first hand experience that their products are awsome and worth it to some people.