• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My Mexican Strat vs. American Standard

BPF55555

Yeah, it's got some balls but it's great for living room.....I'll check out that site for the Blues Junior.....Thanks man

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
"grossly overcharge"

You paid they're overhead lately? THat's a pretty bold assumption.
Just because something's out of your price range, or you don't percieve the value that it sells at, doesn't mean it's overpriced. They build fine guitars in all priceranges, employ a TON of people, pay salaries, benefits, R&D, Taxes etc... it's not like a guy building custom guitars out of his garage.

If it's not worth it to YOU, by all means don't spend the dough. To some it is.

FWIW my favorite guitar in the line is the 50's esquire. MIM.

BPF55555

I guess I'm proud of what I was able to do with that guitar, but that I'm still bitter about selling my G & L Legacy.

BPF55555

Hey Big Mike, I run a Service Dept. for a Heavy Equipment Company that employs several Union guys in Boston - So I know all about benefits, rates, overtime, materials, etc. But you got to draw the line somewhere. You have your opinion, and I have mine. But I know alot when it comes to overhead and production and profit.

BPF55555

It's not their fault. It's called Capitalism. Supply and Demand. I am expressing MY opinion on it, that's all.

big mike

Cathode biased
Hey Big Mike, I run a Service Dept. for a Heavy Equipment Company that employs several Union guys in Boston - So I know all about benefits, rates, overtime, materials, etc. But you got to draw the line somewhere. You have your opinion, and I have mine. But I know alot when it comes to overhead and production and profit.

Then you REALLY should understand the overhead factor, and I guarantee the profit margin isn't as prolific as you think it is.

This isn't jewelry.

Not to mention good wood is getting exponentially more expensive every day.

BPF55555

Yes, I do, and I know it's not jewelry. But Mike, you TRULY believe that there is $500.00 difference in components, wood, etc. between the Mexican Version and the American? No way.....

BPF55555

Yes, I do, and I know it's not jewelry. But Mike, you TRULY believe that there is $500.00 difference in components, wood, etc. between the Mexican Version and the American? No way.....

BPF55555

Mike, I'm not going to deny that my American made G&L Strat was amazing. But I happen to think the G&L Legacy is a better guitar than the Fender American Standard, as well my Mexican one... I would spend my $$$ on it if I had the chance to again....

rwijaya

I guess I just wanted to bring to attention that the Guitar Companies (like Fender), grossly overcharge consumers, just because it's made in America. And that the Mexican Strats (with a few mods) sound damn good, considering the price difference.

Click on link or paste, excerpt below: http://www.guitarstop.com/tour/indexT.htm

"All of the American and Mexican made Fender guitars start at the factory in Corona, CA. The lumber for the bodies and necks are shipped to the Corona factory where they are cut, fretted and inspected. At this time it is determined whether a guitar body will be painted a solid color or if the wood is nice enough to have a natural or transparent finish. Extremely nice pieces of wood are set aside for the Custom Shop. The Corona factory manufactures pickups, pickguards, bridges, metal chassis for amplifiers, neck plates, metal bridge covers and metal pickup covers. The pickguards are stamped out by a machine and the bevel is added by hand with a router. It was very interesting to see the care and attention that goes into the manufacturing of every single instrument!"

this might surprised you, but mexican standard uses pancake bodies compares to the american standard which is usually are 2 - 3 pieces body.

source : http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21361

LaminatedMIMStratbodyblanks.jpg

big mike

Cathode biased
You're ONLY equating product pricing. Your'e not taking into consideration the whole picture.

Better pickups
Better bridge
Better tuners
Better paint quality
More expensive grade of wood.
American worker overhead verses Mexico overhead.

THen are yiou talking at RETAIL or manufacturing cost. Huge difference.

kebotrans

Im with you Mike. I own my own business. People think they know all about it on the other side. To me a Fender American Standard is a great value in my opinion. No guitar player should bitch this day and time. We have more choices then ever at every price range.

BluesHarp

I will say that the neck and fretwork tends to be better and if you dont know how to do your own fret work, etc then yes it might end up being better in the long run if you upgrade to an american. That said, ive seen some mexican guitars that were better playing and sounding than some american's.. you have to hunt till you find "the one" and then add the costs and labor to get it to where it will be where you want it to... pickups, upgrades, etc American guitars tend to be ready to go other than a quick set up and maybe some boutique pickups..

big mike

Cathode biased
Im with you Mike. I own my own business. People think they know all about it on the other side. To me a Fender American Standard is a great value in my opinion. No guitar player should bitch this day and time. We have more choices then ever at every price range.

I worked on all sides of the retail music industry.
I worked for a component manufacturer, i worked for a rep, I ran a brick and morter full range store, I ran my own web boutique store. I've delt with purchasing agents, builders, factories of all types.

It's never as easy as one likes to make it sound when trying to illustrate how happy they are with less expensive gear.

Do the math. An american special strat...what, 899? street? Compare that to the 350 bucks a jaguar cost in 62. You'll see it's actually affordable when comparing % of the cost of the gutar to the mean salary and what the value of the current and prior dollars are.

mysticaxe

Silver Supporting Member
Have you priced fretwork? That is basically all manual labor. How many guitars do you think a worker can do in an hour? The American is probably making 5-10x what the Mexican is - there is a chunk of the price difference.

big mike

Cathode biased
I will say that the neck and fretwork tends to be better and if you dont know how to do your own fret work, etc then yes it might end up being better in the long run if you upgrade to an american. That said, ive seen some mexican guitars that were better playing and sounding than some american's.. you have to hunt till you find "the one" and then add the costs and labor to get it to where it will be where you want it to... pickups, upgrades, etc American guitars tend to be ready to go other than a quick set up and maybe some boutique pickups..

I dunno. Run the racks and find me a good esquire, I can gig it stock.

At some point it's about the player.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom