• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My Mexican Strat vs. American Standard

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, this is a new argument! That is and can only be based on OPINION. Therefore none of you are right and none of you are wrong. Lots of wasted time in the posts above.

Also, I just had a double NGD today with a new MIM Road Worn 60's Strat and a new MIm 50's Road Worn Tele. They are both incredible guitars. And I have some $5000 guitars. These Road Worn MIMs are awesome. Again, my opinion.

tnt365

I just went a played a bunch at Guitar Center and walked away with an American Standard Strat. No comparision really, no MIM strat was near as good, playability, sound or material quality. I have yet to find a MIM "gem", but one day I hope.

scelerat

Silver Supporting Member
I have some cheap guitars and love it when it pisses someone off when I tell them I enjoy playing them.

To the OP: :beer

BPF55555

I can't really see that the fact that you are new to the site makes any difference to how much support you have on the subject in hand. I'd imagine people will either agree or disagree with you based on how they feel about it rather than on your post count - at least I hope so - it would be a bit weird otherwise.

However one issue mentioned earlier by myself and a few others has been that while opinions on value for money are one thing, and a potentially interesting discussion, your original premise was clearly flawed in that you were not comparing like for like. You raised the issue of a $600 difference between your MIM Strat with upgrades and a US Strat but were comparing an upgraded used MIM vs a new US and thus intentional or not the price difference was artificially inflated and the comparison both unfair and unrealistic.

The difference between new MIM vs new US standard Strats is what - $500. That is before your upgrades. If you compare both used that difference might even be less. So in reality with a fair like for like comparison the price difference is actually less than half the $600 you mentioned and that should surely be the starting point for any reasonable discussion on the matter.

So now with the upgrades you listed we are looking at paying about $290 more maximum for the US model. For that extra cash we get a hard case, rolled fingerboard edges, better finishes (according to your original post) and better resale value (not an issue for you if you are never going to sell but an issue for some - certainly in the revolving door in/out world of the average TGP'er it would seem). As someone else mentioned that is not taking into account either the time taken to do these upgrades or the cost of paying someone else to do them. When we start taking all that into account the cost of the US Strat doesn't look so bad.

As you said - all that really matters is that you love your Strat. Good for you. Personally I don't give a toss where my guitar comes from or what it says on the headstock as long as it sounds good and plays well.

I'm looking back at this Thread, which I regret starting now. I agree with what you are saying.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
A few years back, I had two Strats: one was a USA made 2000 American Stratocaster, the other was a MIM Stratocaster with upgraded pickups. Both played and sounded really good.

I hit some rough economic times, and had to sell one. I kept the MIM, not because the American had more resale value, but because the MIM just had an edge in sound and overall vibe.

YMMV

dazco

Without exception i have never played a AM standard or deluxe i thought sounded good. And i know for a fact it's the truss rod. Those double rods put a blanket on high end and harmonics and muddy up the low string and do it all just enough to where they never quite sound as good as any other fender that has a single rod, including many squiers. In fact, if i had to choose between a CV squier strat and am standard at the same price, i'd take the CV. It wouldn't even be close. So i fully understand. You have to realize fender knows what people will buy and why. It;s all marketing. If people all had great ears and all they cared about was great tone and playability, the fender lineup would change so radically your head would spin. You won't find many double rods in the high end fender lines like custom shop. I mean, you'll likely find a very tiny percentage because there are always reasons that something will sell to some degree. But the vast majority of they will have vintage rods, and theres a reason. Think about it. If they sounded the same or better why wouldn't they use them in everything thats not a RI?

bonchie123

Supporting Member
Without exception i have never played a AM standard or deluxe i thought sounded good. And i know for a fact it's the truss rod. Those double rods put a blanket on high end and harmonics and muddy up the low string and do it all just enough to where they never quite sound as good as any other fender that has a single rod, including many squiers. In fact, if i had to choose between a CV squier strat and am standard at the same price, i'd take the CV. It wouldn't even be close. So i fully understand. You have to realize fender knows what people will buy and why. It;s all marketing. If people all had great ears and all they cared about was great tone and playability, the fender lineup would change so radically your head would spin. You won't find many double rods in the high end fender lines like custom shop. I mean, you'll likely find a very tiny percentage because there are always reasons that something will sell to some degree. But the vast majority of they will have vintage rods, and theres a reason. Think about it. If they sounded the same or better why wouldn't they use them in everything thats not a RI?

Not buying it.

The Bi-Flex truss rod used on some Strats is still a single rod. It is not two rods in the same neck. The only difference is that it can be made to provide pressure in the opposite direction as well compared to a normal truss rod which only tightens one way.

There's no logical reason a Bi-Flex truss rod would do anything to the tone a regular rod wouldn't do. They are both single rods taking up the same space made of the same materials.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom