• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

My microphone stinks!

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I mean literally has a bad odor. It still works and sounds great but after 16 years of use, it smells like concentrated essence of the worst ever case of morning breath.

So how do you clean a mike without killing it? If it helps to know, it's an EV ND257.

78deluxe

You will likely want to unscrew the grill + windscreen piece.

Remove the windscreen.

Clean the grill (toothbrush with dishwashing detergent, soak it, etc)

After 16 years the foam/windscreen part is likely disgusting and degraded, you will need to buy replacement foam to shove in there.

Make sure you can get it smelling fine again before buying the replacement foam (which is likely the worst offender).

bob-i

Every few years I pickup a new windscreen for my SM58s. Typically about $15. I haven't had the Sennheiser long enough to need a new windscreen but I expect I'll do the same thing.

georgestrings

I clean mine about once a month, depending - unscrew the ball end, remove the foam from it, douche both parts out real good with rubbing alcohol, squeezing the excess out of the foam, then reassemble when everything's dry...

As the other poster mentioned, the foam is probably shot after that many years - time for a replacement...

- georgestrings

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
"And the microphone smells like a beer"

Billy Joel 'Piano Man'

sorry, no help :Spank:roll

Trending Topics