My Minimalist Gear = Maximum Playability

germs

these days, it's

Tele/LP/Strat

into

Tiny Terror/2x12 cab

pedal board is an M9 and a wah.

Sheherezadeh

I'm more in the "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" camp. Having a room full of gear doesn't prevent me from occasionally just playing an acoustic.

killer blues

Being a hippie, or hipster I guess you can call it. I subscribe to a philosophy of minimalism. Making the most of a small amount of whatever, this includes guitar gear. This means more time playing and less time stringing and tweaking guitars, worrying about cables, and reducing probability of error by keeping things simple.

My one and only amp has only 1 input, 1 speaker, is fairly light, doesn't have too many tubes (Vox AC15CC), and I use it for practice AND gigging. More often than not, larger venues mic'd my amp, making a high wattage amp unnecessary. (It's also surprisingly LOUD) All pedals fit in an easy to carry pedalboard, can be setup in 5 minutes, and it can all fit in my VW Golf.

Anyway, this ALL my guitar gear. Seems to cover all the sonic possibilities I require. A nice mellow '12 Fender American Standard Stratocaster for single-coiled goodness, a lovely '78 Fender Starcaster with really awesome humbuckers, and a Martin Acoustic-Electric. Enjoy!

atta boy!

GulfportBound

Gig rig:

The volume pedal is for dialing down without dulling or deadening tone as can happen when you dial down on the guitar.

And the only reason I have the equaliser pedal isn't for any additional tonal effect (I already have the tone I want) but to out-smart the breakup point of a Deluxe Reverb if I have to have higher volume in certain venues. (I don't like distortion/gain/overdrive/whatever, I like to play clean and I hope sweet.)

And that's all, folks . . .

winterblu

Supporting Member
Yeah - not to bust your chops, but three guitars and a pedalboard with two reverbs on it, plus the reverb on your amp . . . I wouldn't really cal that minimalist. Minimalist is one guitar plugged straight into an amp . . . .
What He Said!

Luecack

im with you

my rig is listed in my sig, and covers all i need it to. although something with humbuckers would be a nice addition, nothing i play requires them.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Gold Supporting Member
Indeed less is more.
less can def be more, but is not necessarily more better.....
..... depending completely upon who you are, what you do
& what you actually achieve with any of it.
_________

the maximum minimalist
--- anyone truly a minimalist, really ---
just sings, thumps on naturally occurring objects, bangs a coupla unmodified rocks together, etc:
no electricity, no manufactured instruments or etc.
no VW golf, either.

oldtelefart

Seasick Steve. Plays a 3-string slide thing, and sometimes a 1-string. Makes 'em himself out of broom handles, old hubcaps, etc. Sounds great, John Paul Jones plays with him sometimes, I'd imagine for no pay.

bsacamano

I once worked with a guy who was about as far of the charts genius as it gets but he was a complete idiot. A story was written about him in a prior life after he made some poor decisions and in it he was called the dumbest genius ever.

You are the most maximal minimalist ever.

richey88

Nice Starcaster! That and an AC-15 will do it just fine.....good to have a backup, and I'm a Strat Cat myself so....cool rig! Would be all I need.

Deed_Poll

It depends on what you mean by minimalist. I have more guitars and amps than that, but pretty much never use pedals. I prefer non-master volume amps and have a guitar - amp combination for every job. Any one time I'll have the amp on a single setting and do all my tone shaping by playing dynamically and using the guitar controls. I won't take more than 1 guitar & 1 amp to a gig.