1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

My Modded Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by mbutler, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mbutler

mbutler Member

I just started getting into modding my own pedals. My first attemp was a Blues Driver pedal that came out absolutely dreadful. Not being one to give up easily, I ordered a brand new Boss Super Overdrive from Musicians friend and immediately opened it up and started tinkering. It started out as a standard mod I got off the net, but soon I was whipping in and out resistors, caps and diodes like a mad man trying to get a sound I thought was cool. Well, I don't know if it's done, and I'm certainly no Analog Mike or Keeley, but I thought I'd stick a clip up hear to get some feedback from you guys. Here's the deal with the clip...
    I used a Schecter PT with Seymour Duncan '59 and JB pickups, into the SD-1, then out to a Line 6 Spider II combo, straight from the recording output into a Pro Tools Mbox. No EQ or processing whatsoever in Pro Tools.
    Just a little Reverb at the amp. It's not a very inspiring sound to begin with so I thought it would make for an honest test. I played first clean with the bridge pickup, then the pedal on with the volume around 1 o'clock, same for the tone and the gain at 12 o'clock. About half way through I rolled the volume knob on my guitar down to clean it up a little, then back up. Then I paused and turned the gain knob all the way up and played a little more, switching pickups a little bit. Try to bear with the mindless noodling. Anyway, I'd love to get your feedback on this. Be brutal, I can take it. Thanks,
    Mike

http://www.mbutler.net/sd1clip.mp3

2. Craig Walker

Craig Walker REFS DAT Gold Supporting Member

I'd never guess that was through a Spider2....

Sounds very cool.

3. Lution

Lution Member

wow.

nice nice sounds. Juicy but gritty at the same time.

You got a PM holmes. :dude

4. rockstah

rockstah Member

sounds real nice man