My Modded Boss SD-1

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by mbutler, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mbutler

mbutler Member

I just started getting into modding my own pedals. My first attemp was a Blues Driver pedal that came out absolutely dreadful. Not being one to give up easily, I ordered a brand new Boss Super Overdrive from Musicians friend and immediately opened it up and started tinkering. It started out as a standard mod I got off the net, but soon I was whipping in and out resistors, caps and diodes like a mad man trying to get a sound I thought was cool. Well, I don't know if it's done, and I'm certainly no Analog Mike or Keeley, but I thought I'd stick a clip up hear to get some feedback from you guys. Here's the deal with the clip...
    I used a Schecter PT with Seymour Duncan '59 and JB pickups, into the SD-1, then out to a Line 6 Spider II combo, straight from the recording output into a Pro Tools Mbox. No EQ or processing whatsoever in Pro Tools.
    Just a little Reverb at the amp. It's not a very inspiring sound to begin with so I thought it would make for an honest test. I played first clean with the bridge pickup, then the pedal on with the volume around 1 o'clock, same for the tone and the gain at 12 o'clock. About half way through I rolled the volume knob on my guitar down to clean it up a little, then back up. Then I paused and turned the gain knob all the way up and played a little more, switching pickups a little bit. Try to bear with the mindless noodling. Anyway, I'd love to get your feedback on this. Be brutal, I can take it. Thanks,
    Mike

http://www.mbutler.net/sd1clip.mp3

2. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

I'd never guess that was through a Spider2....

Sounds very cool.

3. Lution

Lution Member

wow.

nice nice sounds. Juicy but gritty at the same time.

You got a PM holmes. :dude

4. rockstah

rockstah Member

sounds real nice man