My Monty Seafoam Green and Cream Single Cut Junior is here!!!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by LowWatt, Feb 14, 2009.

1. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It arrived on Thursday. I've already had it out with the band once and have been going non-stop on it since the second I got it. The thick '59 Gibson style neck carve is perfect. My hands just don't tire on this thing. Very loud bell like tone. Amazing cleans and distorted tones out of the Voodoo P90. Absolutely loving the guitar. Hell I woke up early just so I had a few hours to play it this morning before being off to see the girlfriend for Valentine's Day.

Here are some pics, but they really don't do it justice. My crappy digital camera makes the guitar look a little more blue and less green than it really is. Plus the cream plastic matches up well in person but seems way off in some of the pics, and the chrome hardware looks gold at times. Oh well, I'm going right back to playing it, so I'm not spending more than 5 minutes on pics and this post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Gorgeous! What do these run?

3. matte

matte Senior Member

brian does great work. enjoy!

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

5. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

About $???k Canadian. Hand built from the planks and custom to my specs. I've been playing for 16 years non-stop and waiting for the day I could afford a custom guitar.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. scott

scott Supporting Member

Cool guitar, I love the color...........and the neck joint

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Very nice guitar and cool color scheme, congrats!

8. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

9. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

I've already been through your post on GuitarsCanada, but man, I could look at it over and over. I made a post over there once about my ideal LP (a double cut by the way) and Brian Monty replied with a PM saying he would be willing to discuss what I'd want anytime. When I win a lottery, or inherit some $$$. I'll be in touch with him in a minute.

10. duckbunny

duckbunny Supporting Member

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Holy Crap, James! Major congrats on this, dude.
    SERIOUSLY, when are we jamming?!?! Now I'm even more anxious to do so, haha :D
    I've been on a Jr./Special kick as of late and am actually working on building/assembling one right now.

P.S. I'd love to photograph it for you...

12. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Beautiful guitar. I really like the few luthiers who are pushing the envelope with custom colors like those typically Fender-esque on the LP Jr platform. Is there a web link for Monty Guitars?

13. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I'll take you up on every part of that offer Marko. My band looks to be signing a contract for a new 24/7 rehersal space at the end of the month. As long as that all goes smooth and you are game, come on down for some guitar.

14. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Here is his site http://www.brianmonty.com/, but it's worth it to talk to him. Those are his basic models, he will do so much outside of what is available there, pretty much everything from the Fender and Gibson style camps with whatever tweaks you can come up with. The finish and plastic were my idea and Brian came through perfectly.

Also, the man makes his reputation on his necks and it is well earned. Nicest neck I've ever played. Huge without ever getting tiring or uncomfortable. It always feels perfect, even after hours of playing.

15. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Dude, you gotta' come over to my place!

16. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Tossed you a PM good buddy.

17. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

LowWatt, how long did you wait? I ordered and paid in full for my Monty Telecaster back in December. Brian said he likes to give himself at least 3 months so I'm just curious how long for yours.

Am looking forward to a huge neck on mine as well. :)

Congrats on a fine-looking axe!

18. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Mine ended up being 4.5 months, but it wasn't a typical situation. We made some tweaks at the last second that ended up slowing down the process. He was in line to have it ready for almost 3 months to the day before I came to him with those adjustments.

19. stan p

stan p Member

Man, you got your self a great guitar by a great builder! We have some of the worlds best luthiers here in Canada and Brian is no second to any!

His guitars have magic in them that works equally well for finger and plectum picking. Congradulations and play some beautiful music with it!

20. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Thanks Stan. I'm amazed how much it's opened up just playing it non-stop for a few days (but that probably has more to do with the strings stretching and getting into that sweet spot after the metallic sproing goes away, but before the dull thud comes).

This thing rings out like a frigging piano.

For people curious about the actual colour, the pics above are a little bluer than it really is, this one below (featuring Brian himself) is just slightly greener than the actual shade. The real colour is about halfway between the one below and the ones up top.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009