• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

My Mudhoney II is popping....

Godspeed64

Feb last year, I bought a Gurus DD to replace my Mudhoney II, which had been my reliable distortion pedal for 5 years of heavy usage.

Not once did it have a single issue. I removed the T-Rex from my board, placed an ad for it. Months down I got the first decent non-lowball offer and I tested the pedal. Sure enough, nothing wrong.

Met up with the buyer, young earnest kid, who brought it home and said how the pedal POPS when BYPASSING. Now that's strange. Got him to try a bunch of tests, isolation, power, cables, buffers, before we gave up and I got it back from him. Now that it's in my possession, it is indeed popping upon bypassing, and the pop volume differs for the two different footswitch. I know what a TB pop sounds like and this is different. In fact, the Mudhoney should have a buffer circuitry to remove the pop according to T-Rex.

Any ideas what I should do?

Last edited:

Caprica

Dc leakage into your signal path usually causes switch pop. Buffers unfortunately don't help.

You have three options

1 put a dc filter before the popping pedal eg Lehle dc filter (This is what I do)
2 isolate the pedal in a looper (TGP preferred - cause loopers are cool gear)
3 before a gig press the popping pedal a few times to discharge any capacitors (many non TGP people do this)

stinkfoot

Switch pops are indeed usually caused by DC voltage leaking into the signal. That leak can be from the pedal itself (the one that pops), or from another pedal somewhere else in the chain. If the problem is another pedal, sticking an active or buffered pedal in between the one that pops and the one that leaks will usually stop the popping. That can be used to locate the bogey. Simply turn on the pedal immediately before the one that pops - if that stops it, you know the source of the DC voltage is somewhere before that pedal. If turning on the pedal immediately after stops the pops, the DC leak is somewhere after the pedal.

If it pops whatever you do, you can break out a multimeter and check the pedal itself (and any other pedals you want). Simply insert patch cables in the input and output, and measure for DC voltage from tip to sleeve on the input cable and output cable, respectively. If you find anything more than few millivolts at any point, that's probably where the leak is.

Godspeed64

Yes it pops no matter what. Like I said, perfectly fine pedal up till the point I removed it from my board. Another pedal that I stopped using also came out with a faulty footswitch after plugging it in again a few months down!

My bandmate who removed a bunch of his pedals and left them idle, came back to them with spoilt footswitches, a pot that scratches as it is turned on one pedal, and a pot when maxed starts to create a clicking sound and doesn't let your notes pass through.

I live in a very humid country. I'm wondering if this has any effect on unused items having problems, given my sample size across two people is roughly 6 pedals? If it is humidity, and given how troublesome T-Rex has made accessing the circuit, I'm asking for possible info as to the problems with the pedal.

I'm not seeking to work around it, because I want to sell it. And I can't sell something faulty, especially since it was perfectly functional in its 5 years of very heavy usage, only to die in its few months of non-usage.

Thanks for the response!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom