My multi-instrumental project - Elastic July - would appreciate feedback.

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by SynapticGroove, Apr 15, 2019.

1. SynapticGroove

SynapticGroove Member

Hey TGPer's,

Good afternoon! I've been a multi-instrumentalist since my early teens and have usually had something brewing musically. My life started as a drummer at 12, bassist at 13, guitars/synths by 16 and vocals (only out of necessity) by my early 20's.

Most of the bands I've played in, I've been the drummer (I guess they're hard to find). Lately, I've been doing a bit of work over the last several years in my home studio, just for fun.

Some of my influences include Joy Division, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, MBV, Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Aphex Twin, etc.

If you have time and wouldn't mind providing some honest feedback, please check out my ongoing project here:

https://soundcloud.com/elasticjuly

I recently completed a song that is several years old and features some amazing female vocals, that I'm incredibly proud of:

Many thanks in advance! :)

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I really like it. Sounds really great.

It needs a bit of balance for the mix though. The bass voice is overpowering. And the upper register female harmony is getting lost somewhat. I'm not vocal engineer by a long shot, but I think there could be a way to adjust the harmony to make it a bit more even.

I love guitar music, so I personally would like the guitar part to be a bit more in the mix as well. When it is just the guitar part, it sounds amazing, but once the vocals start up it gets pushed way back. I don't know if that's what you intend or not, but as I said, for me, I'd love to hear the guitar more than I do when the vocals come in.

Really awesome job, though!

SynapticGroove likes this.
  3. SynapticGroove

SynapticGroove Member

Thank you kindly! Yeah, I tend to agree and I'm certainly not a vocal engineer, or a mixing engineer, for that matter. I appreciate it!

Old Guy likes this.