My Name is Joseph & I'm a Compressor-holic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lucidology, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Played almost the whole gig the other night & thought I had totally lost my chops, or were losing 'em...
    Simply was struggling through the gig to just be a fraction of myself when, in the last set,
    I abruptly realized my compressor was off (as I always have it on ..)

My name is Joseph & I'm a Compressor-holic ...:eek:

2. thewex

thewex Member

that happened to me once-- damn tone press just wanted a nap i guess!

3. sandman

sandman Member

Depends on the amp but I hear ya Joseph...why hard when it can be easy? :D

Got a beat up CS-2 recently and I never turn it off.

4. funkycam

funkycam Member

I'd like a pedal I could turn on to sound as good as Joe when he is uhh "struggling..."

5. drolling

drolling Member

HAH!, yeah.. one of my very first pedals and my second compressor (a *script* logo DynaComp). Both still going strong all these years later, but I've been on a binge since I hooked up w/you guys and have retired 'em both in favor of a BJF PineGreen & a Diamond (ALWAYS on).

When I really need to get some attention I whip out the JangleBox for a tune or two..

6. doublee

doublee Member

Joseph, whats so great about comps? I had one once and could not bond...

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Me too...compressor.....always on!!
    I love them!

8. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Got an old Ibanez comp, and optical prototype, and a normal CM comp/limiter.
    They are more valueable to me than most of my dirt pedals:D

9. burner

burner Member

I was the same way, especially playing bluse because it squeezes the dynamics out of your guitar and/or amp......and blues is all about dynamics.

However, after I learned to use it as less as an 'effect' they work really well.....actually adding or improving tone.
    I will use them as an 'effect' on occasion for something in particular that needs that squashed sound but most of the time I have it set very low and just tune into that sweet spot.

I've found that a lot of compressors sound very different depending on brand/type.I use several different ones but can never make up my mind which is best.Certain ones sound good with some stuff, and other on other stuff.

Eh...sorry for rambling.

10. doublee

doublee Member

Just further trying to understand comps, it sounds like your pedal is so modified/barely on that maybe its now another effect entirely and not really a comp anymore?

I guess its the clipping effect of comps that I havnt appreciated the use of...?

11. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Love it when the notes just jump out the amp. I know it's gonna be a long night when my rig fights me. Gotta have the stomp box gizz!

12. burner

burner Member

I like them because you can set them up to have the effect of an overdrive pedal's sustain without any distortion.

Also they really clean up the slop in my finger picking...the difference in that regard is night and day.

13. dave s

dave s Member

Damn! You mean I could have offered you my JangleBox for your Eternity? I had no idea you were so far gone with compressors! :D

Really, I picked up the thing to 'liven up' the Ric 360/12. And boy, does it light up the guitar! Trying right now to tame the volume a bit. Seems to add more db than I'd like when the compression level sounds right to me.

Kind of a tradeoff between just enough compression and too much volume. Get the volume under control and I lose compression levels. Strangely behaving pedal, but a definite MUST-HAVE with the 360/12!

dave

14. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Yo Cam ... you're too kind ...

15. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

In my cover band days I used to live on the Menatone JAC - it was always on and the volume knob allowed me to adjust overall volumes when I couldn't get back to my amp. Now my playing out tends to be more grab'n'go so compression is a luxury, but that is one of those pedals that you don't notice it until you turn it off.

And I agree with funkycam - I doubt I would be listening to you compressor-less and thinking to myself, "boy, does that Joseph sure sound sucky today!"

16. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i'm also an "always-on" compressor guy. i just like the way it smooths and evens everything out... i hate to feel dependent on any pedal, but i feel that my compressor just makes my tone punchier and i always miss it when it's not on...

17. RDM

RDM Senior Member

I just picked up this compressor.

[​IMG]

Lots of noise when it's on though. Probably something wrong with the cable I'm using.

18. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Boy ain't THAT the truth/

19. eru

eru Member

Can you perhaps give me suggestions on how to do this? I'm playing mainly blues atm, but I have access (in stores that like me) to barber and keeley pedals and I own an MXR Super Comp to even out the not-quite boomy sound w/ full chords on my Legacy (couldn't justify a more expensive one just for that).

That guitar kind of sustains forever anyway, so it might not need it, but that "pop" people mention is not something I've seen w/ compressors.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

For must of my career I never used a compressor...
    It's only been in the last 4 years or so that I've actually used one ..

The comment about clean distortion sort of works... especially when it comes to the "feel" of the guitar ...
    You know that flowing "feel" one gets when using overdrive or distortion...
    You can get this same "feel" with a good compressor without any clipping, grit or breakup on the tone ...

Many things I've been working on lately ... especially muted plunking & legato lines (hammer ons & pull offs)
    are totally enhanced with one ...