My New Amp - Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eric Porter, May 2, 2016.

1. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

OP- what modes are you digging? I started off obsessed with Tweed, but over time I realized I got way more out of the amp if I used Normal for cleans and Hi 1 for gain. I set Hi1 gain pretty low, like around 10 o'clock. This has been working great for me (I use various pedals for boost and additional overdrive).

Tweed mode is fantastic if I feel like using the amp as a single channel with pedals. I haven't been able to get a sound I like much out of the Top Boost mode, but it is mainly because I am not a cranked Vox kind of guy- the tones are quality, just don't work for what I do right now. Hi 2 is something I have barely messed with because I LOVE Hi 1 so much. It seems a little darker than Hi 1.

la noise likes this.
  2. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Same here, Wilbcs39.
    Hi 1 just keeps getting better and better!

la noise likes this.
  3. Chance

Chance Member

Congratulations! I typically hang out on top boost and hi 1, those are my 2 go to modes. I think every mode on that amp sounds awesome though! Definitely an underrated amp when it was in production.. I'm hoping Mesa revisits the transatlantic line in the future.

la noise and Eric Porter like this.
  4. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

Thanks - that's what I have been using, also liking the Tweed setting. I really like the Hi 1 for leads, but that top boost setting with a little breakup on it is sweet.

la noise likes this.
  5. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

I've put all my pedals away for a few weeks, want to see what I can get from the amp. What pedals do you use, and how does the Tweed Channel sound with a few pedals mixed in? I want to get a feel for what the amp can do, then I will start adding my pedals back in.

I just posted before I saw yours - and the two settings I am using the most is the top boost with a little breakup added to it for rhythm, and Hi 1 for leads right now. I have not played around much with Hi 2 either, but I will get there. I am also experimenting cut/master (Channel 1) and Gain/Boost (Channel 2) and seeing how I like them either pushed in or pulled out

la noise likes this.
  6. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Recently I have been using Hi 1 alone for nice light overdrive tones, then I will use my Sparkle Drive for higher gain and a little extra volume. I have it set pretty low, but together with the amp breakup it sounds really nice.

On the Normal mode, I use the Sparkle Drive for light OD, or I will use my Soul Food set as a clean boost to add a little volume and lushness to the sound but keep it clean.

Tweed mode seems to handle pedals like a champ. I also have a Green Rhino that sounds good with Tweed, as do my other pedals I have listed. I could probably use Tweed as a pedal platform and be fine, but I would feel I was not using the amp to its potential.

I do not use cut/master or gain/boost pulled out- both are always pushed in. I just don't need extra gain on Channel 2, and I like using the Cut feature to darken the Normal channel a bit. I keep it around 1 or 2 oclock which allows the Voxy tone to mellow out a bit.

What is so weird about me and this amp is I have ALWAYS used Fender amps...never owned a Vox in my life. This amp just spoke to me when I played it, and somehow it works for me despite my amp history. Hope some of this info helps, and feel free to keep posting in this thread...I love discussing this amp, and not many people seem to have one!

la noise likes this.
  7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Can't go wrong w a TA. But you CAN go all kinds of right.

Congrats and enjoy experimenting with all those tones.

I will own a TA.....I really will. Yup. Gotta.

8. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

Thanks man - that's awesome. As I get more time with it, I would love to talk settings, etc. I am loving the amp, but only have a few hours of playing time with it. I really want to see how it sounds when I take it to rehearsal in another week or so, and I am glad I have some time to play around with it.

A couple questions - and I will send you a private message so we can stay in touch and discuss the amp more. But - if we keep the back and forth here, maybe others will chime in with tips.

1. What type of music do you play (trying to get a feel for how you are using the channels for the type of music)
    2. What guitars are you using?
    3. Do you use both single coil and humbuckers?

I love the sound my Tele is getting. My Ovation Preacher Les Paul Jr body type (double cutaway) and although I put Seymour Duncan Humbuckers in a few years back - it's not the greatest guitar. The Tele however sounds fantastic, as does my Kramer.

I am saving to get myself a real good guitar with Humbuckers - that will be my next search/purchase

9. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

1. I have mostly gigged this amp in a reggae/rock band where I use everything from pure cleans to medium overdrive (nothing high gain, more vintage tones). In this band I use a lot of delay and reverb but I actually don't use the effects loop. I also play some funk, jazz/fusion, blues, and jamband stuff during various gigs. Basically I use cleans a lot and play leads with what I would call vintage style overdrive. No metal or high gain.
    2/3. I play a Fender Nashville Deluxe Tele that has a Hot Rails in the middle but normal Tele bridge/neck pickups. I recently bought a Fender Modern Player Strat HH which has become my new number one. The amp seems to work great with the singles in the Tele and the Humbuckers in the Strat. I slightly tweak the settings depending on which guitar, but not significantly. The humbuckers bring a lot more harmonic content out of the Hi 1 mode if that makes sense...lots of nice overtones when you hold out a note or chord, probably just from the higher output pickups.

I would definitely describe my overall tone as fairly bright, but it seems to fit in mixes well and isn't ice-picky or anything.

la noise and Eric Porter like this.
  10. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

I did run my delay and chorus through the effects loop just to make sure it was working properly. Good to go on that one!!! But, like I said, I have not been using pedals, just trying to hear the different tones just guitar to amp, then I plan to add my pedals back in once I am comfortable.

My favorite music is 70's (and mostly on the prog / classic rock side), so I am a big Floyd, Genesis, Yes, Crimson, Camel etc. as far as my listening goes. I do like to learn a lot of those songs for my own enjoyment.

The band I play in I guess is pretty much classic rock / roots rock, CCR, Neil Young, Beatles, The Band, Petty, and some of the newer Americana bands thrown in. One of the guys is a big Replacements fan, so we throw a song or two of theirs into the mix. So, pretty straight up R-n-R, no High Gain stuff, but a lot of it likes some nice OD/Dirt thrown over the type, nothing drastic, just that gritty sound.

la noise likes this.
  11. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

I've had the amp a few weeks, unfortunately no band rehearsals yet. But, I am getting to spend some time and learn the sounds from each channel. Today, I just kept the amp on Hi 1 channel, and enjoyed just rolling the volume knob to increase the OD. Hi 1 seems to clean up nice. I need to get the amp cranking a little more, but even at low levels I like the tone.

Really happy with this amp so far. The only pedal I am using is my boss delay through the effects loop. Other than trying everything out when I got it, I have not been using pedals, just getting to know the amp.

la noise and Neff like this.
  12. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

13. Neff

Neff Member

I use my ta-15 at church mainly. We play many styles, mostly modern p&w but often go in different directions such as folk, country, or straight up rock and roll.

I use a strat, but I put a humbucker in the bridge many years ago.

Many pedals also. Three overdrives, delay, and reverb (not included in the ta-15).

I find that the top boost mode set fairly clean works really well for much of what I play. Channel two is either tweed or h1 depending on my mood, both are great but I have to commit to one or the other as the settings I prefer for each are very different.

Fantastic little amp. It is very easy to dial in different sounds, I have to work hard to make it sound bad.

If you find yourself playing many styles of music, this thing is awesome. It has a lot of flexibility, about the only player I don't recommend this thing to is the one that strictly is seeking one sound. It will probably do that one sound really well, but it loses it's value when you don't use it's flexibility.

I'm glad you are enjoying yours!

blackba, la noise and lowpaygigs like this.
  14. Lothar34

Lothar34 Silver Supporting Member

I have a TA15 on the way via a trade. It was a bit of an impulse/boredom thing & I didn't do any research until after the deal was sealed (very rare for me), but after finally doing so, now I am super stoked. I'm also scratching my head trying to figure out why the TA's aren't/weren't more popular. Do most people only look to Mesa for Rec tones or something? I see no reason to doubt their ability to make other tone stacks & do it well. Lots of builders do Fender/Marshall/Vox as good or better than the real Fender/Marshall/Vox .

la noise likes this.
  15. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have a TA-15, used it one one gig so far, I have to say it was stupendous. I pretty much had it on the Top Boost side with the gain around 10 and the master about 2. I had the treble and bass around 11 I think. For solos I used a Super Crunchbox. I love the SCB for soloing it just rips. The amp itself was borderline a little broken up, reminded me of Matchless stuff. The amp did compress some when the SCB was engaged, but this compression wasn't rectifier like, it was still dynamic. The best part was notes just bloomed into controlled feedback at will. The Cabinet I have is a CB 1x12, and I had a WGS Veteran in it. I waffle between either this or a EV12L. Either sounds great it just depends what you want to hear.

la noise likes this.
  16. moosewayne

moosewayne Supporting Member

Sometimes I think Mesa's reputation is it's own worst enemy in this regard.
    A LOT of people never even tried a TA because they think Mesa=Recto.
    It's a shame.
    The TA-30 scratches so many classic amp/classic rock itches.
    You can recommend one to anyone looking for Vox, AND no compromise Tweed & JTM tones.
    Can't miss.

la noise likes this.
  17. la noise

la noise Member

I've done gigs on Hi 1 mode alone using
    the volume control on a Les Paul for ALL
    variations in tone, volume, and level of
    dirt.

Such a FUN amp. :banana

18. blackba

blackba Member

That is what I love about my ta15, so many ways to use it and get great results.

I was running mine in top boost set clean for p&w, but recently have been setting it so that it just is about to breakup with the input volume at 10-11 o'clock and the master at 9 o'clock on the 15watt mode.

Crazy thing is that I am considering an empress reverb pedal that will be not far off from what I paid for the ta15.

19. Lothar34

Lothar34 Silver Supporting Member

I'm still in the honeymoon phase, even though I don't really have those anymore (being a chronic flipper), but so far I'm really liking the clean sounds more than I thought I might. I don't usually play clean much but the other amps in my current stable are all lower gain, so I expected this TA to fill that dirtier void. Maybe it will eventually, but right now I'm finding myself on the green side or the tweed more often than not. Haven't had a chance to really crank it up but I'm guessing the Hi1 and Hi2 are probably a whole lot more inspiring at higher volumes.