My new Collings 001-14 Fret Traditional - simply amazing

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by howthewestwas1, Feb 23, 2020.

1. howthewestwas1

howthewestwas1 Supporting Member

I became the proud owner of the new Collings 001 14 feet Traditional last week. This is the actual guitar they showcased at NAMM last month and it is really something special. This one has a sitka top, mahogany back and sides, 1 3/4" nut, 2 5/16" bridge spacing and utilizes hide glue construction. It has the thin nitro finish but they are now offering a satin finish as well. I've played/owned the following from Collings over the years: OM1, OM1SS baked (x2), OM1T. OM2hT, 01, 01T (still own). The new 001 offers something new and different.

There has been a design change to how the necks are constructed on the new Traditional models, which seems to reduce the weight but also changes the note attack. Between this and this new body shape I can tell you that this new Collings has a unique voicing - the low and low mid range is much fuller and the upper mids are notably more relaxed. However they've somehow maintained the articulation and clarity that Collings is known for. The guitar is also super light and very loud! I am curious as to how the new neck translates on the other traditional models. I think players who always longed for a more Martin like voicing with Collings may be pleasantly surprised with the 001-14T.

Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a video recorded yesterday on my cell phone with a Shure MV88+:

2. Peanut73

Peanut73 Staff Member

Great to see this post, and the video sounds great. I am pretty excited about the new 001 14-Fret series from Collings. I am considering getting an 001 Mh 14-fret in the new Vintage Satin Finish.

Bobbybigbucks likes this.
  3. howthewestwas1

Thanks! I think the 00s will be a big hit for them. And just a heads up, there is a 001-14Mh Traditional in satin heading to The Music Emporium next month per their Arrivng Soon page!

Peanut73 likes this.
  4. Peanut73

Peanut73 Staff Member

Thanks. I saw that the other day too! Collings also told me that more are currently in production. I am a huge fan of the satin finish.

howthewestwas1 likes this.
  5. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful guitar! You sound great on it.

6. howthewestwas1

Thank you!

7. balde

balde Member

sounds great!

8. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

Jealous!!! They look and sound amazing. Enjoy that guitar!!

9. Fred_C

Fred_C Member

Thanks for posting this! It's too bad the old Collings forum fell apart, the new one has never really found its legs, and it's harder for a new model like this to get online "traction."

I was on a small bodied guitar quest a few years ago after playing a used Martin Tim O'Brien model (basically a long scale 00-18) a number of times locally and stupidly letting it get away. I ended up buying and returning a standard 00-18, and ultimately getting a Bourgeois 00-18 style guitar. It's a lot more comfortable to sit and play than a dread, or even an OM. My playing is more flatpicking/strumming/Carter style, and this size guitar holds up just fine for that. If Collings had been making this model at that time I know I would have considered it as well.

Crowder likes this.
  10. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

Sounds great! From your playing on the video, you are very deserving of such a fine instrument. Congrats.

11. howthewestwas1

Yes, the new Collings forum hasn't quite taken off. Too bad. But yes, the 00 is such a great size. I know Bourgeois make very fine small body guitars. I was considering a 00 from Bourgeois right before the Collings 00 line was announced.

Those are very kind words and much appreciated. Thanks!

Crowder likes this.
  12. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a great guitar. I've played some really nice Collings lately, and their 00 sized ones have a warmer, more pleasing tone to my ear. I like them a lot.

13. howthewestwas1

Cool! Just curious which 00 models you were able to play? Any with the new satin finish? Thanks

14. Frozen Rat

The last one was a 002H. Sounded really warm; moreso than typical on a Collings, and one with EIR at that. But I couldn't buy it, I don't really get on with 1 13/16th necks due to my cheater playing habit of thumb-wrapping some of my favorite tunes. It was beautifully made and voiced. Some Collings sound a bit strident, but certainly not all of them. I think they voice their 00 models a bit differently and those tend to sound really superb in the lineup. Their 00s tend to be very balanced, clear, articulate, and smooth. I felt like it was close to the Santa Cruz sound on that model, although not quite. I've come close to buying Collings twice now but both times I had trouble with the necks. C'este la vie.

15. howthewestwas1

Ah ok, I believe you played ther 12 feet 00 models, which are very nice and have been around for a while. They just released these new 14 fret models which also have a very different (warmer, mellower) voice compared to their other 14 fret models. The nut width on these may be more to your liking! :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Crowder likes this.
  16. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

My guitar is a Collings OM1-SSE (short scale, Engleman top). I recognize a lot of what I'm hearing in the demo. Would enjoy getting my paws on one of these to try.

17. Frozen Rat

Gryphon probably has some. That's the only place close around here I find them. Next time I'm down that way I'll see what they're all about.

18. howthewestwas1

Very nice. You should totally give these new 00s a try. Having been through several OM1 models including SS models I can tell you that the new 00 + the newly designed neck on the traditional models definitely produces a different flavor, both tonally and actually feel wise as well.

Maybe so! good luck!

Crowder likes this.
  19. howthewestwas1

Just following up to say that this guitar still has it going on. I have owned and played it daily for a few weeks now and it just keeps getting better. It is by far my favorite Collings to date and dare I say my favorite acoustic that I have owned - this is closest I have come to finding "the sound in my head." It has all the features that I love about Collings - the clarity, articulation, projection, immediacy, response and dynamic range is all there - and yet it brings something new with its voicing - it is warm and round and just had a wonderful character to it. I think the fine folks in Austin have crafted something truly unique and special with this guitar. I have drilled a strap pin into the heel and the warranty card is going in the mail. This one is a keeper!

Plainman, NtS and Crowder like this.