My new computer sounds like crap

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hogy, Jan 24, 2015.

1. hogy

hogy Member

Please bear with me, I'm computer illiterate.

I just bought a new Dell desk top. Before that I had the same old Gateway for 10 years.

The new computer works well, but it sounds like ass.

I ran the old computer into a vintage Marantz into a set of Dahlqvist speakers. Same setup I've used forever, I am really familiar with its sound.

This new Dell sounds like a transistor radio hooked up the same way. Why?

What can I do to make it sound better?

2. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member

I just went through the same thing. had some dell computer speakers that sounded pretty darn good. Got a new Dell tower and they sounded like a transistor radio. I went to dell website,put in the service tag number and downloaded and installed the updated audio driver and it fixed it. seems like a common problem.

3. cratz2

cratz2 Member

If a driver update doesn't fix it to your liking, you could always get a USB DAC. This will pretty much bypass the audio section entirely.

Something like the Schiit Modi is a spectacular value though it doesn't do 192/24 which is sort of the flavor of the day.

4. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

what model is it? at you just use the audio output off the motherboard?
    some built in audio on lower end motherboards can sound pretty bad. do you have a free slot to install a decent sound card? if not there USB solutions that will dramatically improve the sound quality. a cheap by effective USB solution would be a behringer uca222. they're about $25 and actually sound really good. I have one and it sound much better than any of my built in sound cards on my desktops or laptops. its also capable of input for recording, which it actually does pretty well with very little latency.

5. hogy

hogy Member

this?:

http://pilot.search.dell.com/audio driver windows 7

There are numerous option. Which one do I need?

6. BoneSaw

BoneSaw Member