My New Custom Build, Part One. . .

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lifeson1, May 2, 2008.

1. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I had the urge recently to build a guitar that would maintain the classic sensibilities of a classic strat but infuse it with modern attributes. I originally was going to ship it off to RS to get reliced in a modern Cobalt Blue color, but after seeing the body and neck that Tommy over at USA Custom Guitars sent me, I think I'm going to go for the 'minty' route and let nature take its course. . . I'll periodically update this in the next few months with pics of the 'progress'. Here's where I'm at right now. . .

Body: 1 piece swamp ash weighing in at 3.6lb's

Neck: AAA bird's eye maple with pau ferro fretboard and real clay dots. 6105 wire, 14 inch radius, C contour.

Body is routed with the extra comfort contour and the trem routing is set for a Hipshot trem. The pickguard is a new design from Jeremiah at Sharp Concepts, which is absolutely wicked. The one problem is that we miscommunicated and he sent me one routed for three single coils, when in actuality I'll be tossing in a gold covered SSV+ in the brodge (or Aldrich, haven't decided yet) and two Suhr F/L's in the neck and mid position. So, I went ahead and shot a pic of the body with the current guard for aesthetics, I should have the new one in two weeks or so.

The electronics will be the RS strat upgrades, and I'll be dropping in a Hip Shot GT-1 Drop D bender in the "E" slot along with five other Hipshot locking tuners alongside. And yes, everything will be in gold.

Let's see. . . what else? Trem-setter in the rear, and I'm STILL deciding on whether or not to throw a waterslide decal on the headstock (my own name or something). . . Any thought's or opinions? Part of me doesn't want to mess with all that bird's eye, but then again, it IS a dream guitar for me. . . Anyhow, I'll be sending off the neck and body to get finished next week, so hopefully Scott and Roy up at RS can snap some shots through the finishing process. it'll be a nitro finish on the body, maybe just a satin finish on the neck. . . Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Some nice guitar bits, there!
    I'll suggest a transparent body finish to let that outstanding grain stand out. And do consider a gunoil or similar neck treatment....just to add to your option anxiety:Devil

3. lifeson1

gun oil was actually my top choice! Love the Music Man necks, and that would feel REAL nice!!! Don;t know about the trans finish - looking at this kind of burst -

[​IMG]

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

burst? is that the right pic? maybe it's my pc?

That's what I meant by transparent, more of a stain look with the grain visible vs solid paint.

Make mine green..emerald, thanks!

5. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It looks opaque just on the edges...not exactly a burst but nicely done.

6. lifeson1

Yeah, tossed up between green and blue - I think blue would go better with the pickguard. Now, a real 'first timer' issue, how would I finish off the neck? Any step by steppers here? do i even NEED to finish the neck off? I would mind adding a bit of a tint to the bird's eye, would just lemon oil do this? Also, do I need to do anything with the Pau fretboard, or is it good to go? I am such a novice at the mechanics of all this. . . It WILL kick ass, though. I think I'm going to have Terry M finish off the body, and either have RS assemble, or pick up the guts from them and have my tech here in memphis do it. Any suggestions on my issues regarding the neck?

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Whoever sells you the neck won't warranty it if you leave it unfinished. Also, if you don't finish it, it'll get filthy and look like crap in no time.

An oil finish is probably the easiest and least expensive.

8. lifeson1

I was reading aboutr the 'tru oil' - what's the application method? Wax on, wax off? Ok, Karate Kid joke. . . What about the fretboard? Anything needed there?

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

From what I've been told you can either use your fingers or a rag to put Tru Oil on. I've used tung oil on a body and used a rag. I have some Tru Oil here to do a different body with but haven't decided yet which method I'll use on that one.

NEVER!!!!!! finish a rosewood fret board. NEVER< EVER< EVER!!!!! finish a rosewood fret board.

If someone even suggests you do, I believe it's grounds for justifiable homicide. Well, not really but it should be.

"Young man, why did you kill this person?"

"Your honor, he suggested I finish a rosewood fret board."

"Set this man free, NOW!"

10. lifeson1

LOL. Point taken!:nono I'm off to buy some Tru-oil, cloth, and some sadpaper and steel-wool. should be fun! I'll post final pics when it's all said and done. Thanks!!!

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Use masking tape on the rosewood to avoid spots from drips, spills. You don't want that.

12. lifeson1

Good point. That's on the list now, too.