MY New Demeter 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by yZe, Sep 23, 2006.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Well, Adam over at Demeter has hooked me up, big time

He loaded the guts into a more slick, compact cab
    [​IMG]
    Excellent Service, too

It is on the way here, so please keep me in prayer that Fed Ex doesn't destroy it, Although it probably won't because Adam says that they overpack everything

They are currently moving their factory, so pardon their dust

2. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Looks great! I believe that's the old style cab they used in the original TGA-2. Very practical size cab. Let us know how it sounds. I've been thinking about getting one as a back up to my TGA-3, and this cab takes me one step closer.
    Thanks,
    Rick

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Neato.. I have 1 of the original TGA2's Rick (I think it's #5 or so) and it's not in that type of head. Mine is similar in size and shape to a 'smallbox' Marshall head (which I like) . I have this sneaking suspicion that these 2.1s sounds way different than mine as my TGA2 is 10-15 years old.

Eric

4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Eric,
    Your TGA-2 must look very cool. I had an early TGA-2 in the head box pictured, but the serial# was in the 30's. Yes, the original TGA-2's according to Ron at Demeter (it's been a few years since I spoke to him about this) had less efficient transformers for earlier breakup and a softer feel. I think the 2.1 is a little stiffer, although I haven't played that model as of yet. Great amps all around, haven't found anything cooler than my TGP-3 pre and TGA-SA power amp.
    Rick

5. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

Damn nice :AOK . Good for you. Go out and bust the hell out of it, they are made for serious duty. Let us know how she runs! Nice cab, like the TGA-3. Perfect size, no wasted space.

6. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Just checked , mine says sn 100W 005 on the back , so I'm assuming it was the 5th hundred watter. The TGA3 combo I have is the best sounding, but unfortunately mine hums way too much and has something the matter with it. It's not tube related or FilterCap related (Sounds grounding related to me) .. I'm just too lazy, and WAY too busy to prioritize bringing it in for a fix .. It's been a year I've been saying that, but hopefully this winter. I have a local guy now who did just a GREAT job on an Engl and a Marshall repair for me last year, so I won't hesitate to ask him to fix it. Unfortunately I couldn't use the TGA3 combo (75watter) I have at my gigs this past year, but now I'm taking time off , so would like to get it fixed for my next band's usage I think! Regardless of all this mumbojumbo , Counsel let us know if you like your amp when you get it. I find my tga2 (Gain channels) need to be turned very loud before they sound their best, so I've always run mine on only 2 El34's. BUT The clean channel sounds awesome at any volume and the others aren't too loud as long as I'm using a 1x12 or 2x12. Have fun

ERIC

7. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Excellent idea - as long as the ventilation is OK - and it seems like there should be no problem.

I am interested to know what the TGA-2.1 sounds like.

8. yZe

yZe Senior Member

I'll try to get a friend of mine to bring his lap top over

The only speakers i have now are the LAME G12T-75's

and an OK boogie 1-12 w/ 200W EV (It'll be thru this 'un

Regarding cranked, this is the 50W

James says it is 50W at an absolute MAX-pushed, but is really more like 36W at stage/rehearsal levels

So at 1/2 power, I'm going at 17W or 25 W absolutely dimed (allegedly)

9. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Oh, and about any overheating concerns . . .

It was burned in for days in that cab

10. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I agree that Demeters sound their best when the "Masters" are set past 12:00. That's one reason why I settled in with the TGP-3, because you get that extra set of Masters to work with before the power amp. A little more versatility than the TGA-3 heads I've owned. Looking forward to the report on the 2.1 as well.
    Rick

11. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Well, I am currently RELENTLESSLY bugging the living crap out of those guys to start pumping those out again; so stay tuned

One reason the tgp-3 is not produced anymore is that they take 20 man hours to make

So if anyone has any ideas . . .

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

Great looking amp! Makes me miss my TGA-2 50 watter even more than usual. :drool

Oh, and Demeter does do a very nice job packing gear for shipping. FedEx and UPS can destroy anything, but your amp should stand a better chance than most of making it unscathed. :AOK

13. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Okay, in the first post; a new photo w/o the dust and a custom painted faceplate by swankbox !

14. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Well, first day of the Honeymoon.

Just chiming in real quick as it has not been put through the paces yet;

THis thing has every bit amount of gain as the TGP/TGA 3's and has that type of definition

Thanks to the development team at Demeter, they realized that the TGA-2's drive channel just wasn't up to snuff to that of the TGP or TGA 3's

Man, hitting a dissonant chord, like that F# Maj w/the open B & E; you can hear every note distinctly even w/ the gain pumped

The power reduction is very useful, and A nice tight sound is accomplished w/no loss of harmonic content at bedroom to rehearsal levels

The only criticism is in the clean headroom dept and I can see why I the TGA 3's excelled w/75 Watts

THis definitely does the Rock Cleans incredibly, but not for Jazz. It breaks up at the right time on the dirty channel for sure

15. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Well, uh, charge the extra what, $800? Excuse me, but there are all sorts of amps out there which cost a lot more than that would be, and frankly, very, very, few of them can hang with a TGA-3 at the top of it's game.

16. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah the TGA-2 drive channel needs more salt. Or something. If they are going to "fix" that I have a TGA-2 that I wouldn't mind having that done.

TGA-3 cleans don't exactly suck at 100 Watts, either. Ditto on the rock aspect of the clean.

17. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Right on. I'm talking with the dudes out there regarding this. Stay Tuned - This IS going to happen, but more up the road than anything. We just have to hang back and play through our Demeters until then

18. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Really? I am surprised. You must have really beat on them. I gave them pretty much the chance to name their price and they didn't take the bait.

19. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I love the cleans on my Demeter TGP-3/TGA-SA rig! They're exceptional. And there isn't a better blues sound than when you crank the gain on the clean channel and push it using a boost. Everyone is always talking about the TGA-3 gain channel as being similar to the Lindley/George Dumble sound, and I agree, but I think the clean channel gain up gets you into the R. Ford tone zone, and with the Zendrive into that channel set clean, it nails it.
    Carry on.

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Actually I like the clean channel as much as the drive channel for the Lindley/George territory. Just hammer the thing. (Like you said... but I haven't used a Zendrive)

I tend to like banging the crap out of a clean channel for mild distortion than getting a lukewarm dirty channel. There seems to always be more complexity and tension when you are pounding on the clean channel.