My new Eternity has shipped.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ed Reed, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I was looking around and found some bad reviews about the "new" Eternity pedals not being as good as the old. Any truth to that or is this just some of the HC BS?

2. madscientist

madscientist Member

I'm sure some people will disagree until they're blue in the face, but I found a recent build to sound 99% similar to a HW build from last year. It was amazingly close and enough for me to consider buying another E without hesitation, regardless of build type.

edit to add: I did keep the HW, there was a bit of mellowness in the top end that I preferred over the SMD.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

4. mprvise

mprvise Member

Did some A/B/C testing with a few other guys and two HW (2006 White, 2007 Burst) and one of the first run SMD's. The 2006 White was the hands down winner, followed by the burst, then the SMD - all agreed. And no, these are not guys who listen with their eyes. The SMD is still a great sounding OD, but there's something magic I've heard in a few of the HW's I've had at the house that was missing from the SMD. Especially the 2006 White - has this bloom thing happening that I've only heard in one other (one belonging to a fellow TGP member). YMMV.

And Ed, let me know if you want to do a little A/B/C testing when you get yours...

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Why do the older ones sound better? I remember hesitating on pulling the trigger on an E back in 2005, instead going with the stellar (and CHEAPER) DGTM, which I still have on my board.

If the older ones sound better, why doesn't Lovepedal make them that way any longer?

6. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

7. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

it's ********, trust me. I had an older Burst Handwired Eternity and sold it, just sounded too thin for my tastes. Then when the recent Kanji Eternitys came up at $199 I thought I may aswell give it another chance as I'd heard this one was fatter and warmer. And guess what... I love the Kanji! It really is fatter, smoother and warmer! btw the Kanji is not handwired.

8. Andre357

Andre357 Member

For what it's worth I've owned at one time both a burst and a regular black smd version, Both sound great but I have since sold the burst and kept the regular SMD, it sounded better IMHO, a bit less bass cut and a bit more muscular, the burst was a little woodier and maybe a tad closer to a traditional tube screamer type od ( albiet much better IMHO )...

Interestingly the smd version sounded even better after a few gigs, maybe some transistors burned in or I'm nuts, but it sounded even better after a couple of weeks of ownership ;)

At the end of the the day I think all the versions sound great ( if your into the eternity sound in general )...they're just subtle variations on a great theme.

9. Andre357

Andre357 Member

LOL :D

You know sean has said one thing about the smd version is that they are consistent and all sound good one to the next....and that with the hardwire not so much, there are variations from pedal to pedal....for instance if he built one after a couple of :drink's ;)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  10. tookermel

tookermel Member

Lol....I think that's a good point, Andre357. I'm not trying to bash anyone's post at all, 'cuz we all know our mileage's vary - people hear things differently, our rig's are sometimes vastly different, and many other variables. I guess I got one that was built while he was sobre :D, 'cuz mine sounds anything but thin. But that probably has a LOT to do with me and my rig. Mine sounds pretty big. I guess I'm just trying not to discourage the OP. The Eternity is an awesome overdrive. It very well may be the case that he'll have a better chance of getting a good 'un with the new one he ordered, but, y'a know, he might end up not liking any of the E's....

Good luck with it, man....hopefully you can get a chance to compare it to the other ones like the other guys mentioned! Please let us know how it turns out! I'd actually like to know myself. I own an older Burst model 'cuz I read extensively back when I was doin' some research. The only other E I've ever owned was an E6 model with the flame graphics. To my ears, there was just something the Burst model had that the E6 didn't. Anyway....I'm ramblin' - good luck!

-Tookermel

11. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

So what does SMD stand for?

12. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

OK. My Son works at an Electronics place and They call it SMT. Hadn't heard the other acronyms.

13. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

Not all E's are the same.Some have slightly different spec,chips ect.
    If you A/Bed a handwired to an SMD of the same specs ,I would be hard pressed to believe you'd hear any difference other than the SMD would most likly be quieter.

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

My point exactly. Some of those "spec" differences translate into a better sounding pedal to my ears, especially with the white that I own.

SMD - It was quieter, and I've now heard two of them (only played one) - great sounding OD pedal. I have no doubt that they are more consistent as well. However, put them side by side with one of the hand wired gems (with the right "specs" or whatever) and there is an audible difference.

15. TD Moyer

TD Moyer Member

Had several (& still have a couple - a handwired burst and a Roadhouse)...and they're all in the same ballpark -- which is a better ballpark than most.

I just sold a Kanji E - it wasn't different enough from my older ones to justify keeping it.

Interestingly enough the one "E" I had that I didn't like at all was a white one - had more gain and was noticeably thinner than others I've had...so to each his own...best way is to try them out like Strats!

16. m@2

m@2 Member

just to add, i bought the newer "kanji" ones (from pro guitar shop dot com) and it does indeed sounds great, very similar to the older HW one I had

17. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Honest - I like the looks of the handwired stuff & I like the resale value that they bring....but "sounds good" isn't a byproduct of HW or SMD. Lovepedal is a worthy product name that makes great stuff; I mean really great musical stuff! I doubt Sean would try to mess with years of good will and effort to throw inferior products at his clients and hurt a company he work damn hard to build from ground zero. The Eternity is a killer pedal! There are a bunch of different versions but the overall heart is essentially the same. At least my ears tell me this. I doubt very much you will feel slighted once you start making music with your E!

18. zerorez

zerorez Supporting Member

Sean does on occassion! :D

Sign up for the LP newsletter or watch the site for Limited Handwires, I picked up the limited build White E v3 2006 spec about 3 months ago and have no regrets! That baby just sings pure tonal bliss!

19. Caribou

Caribou Silver Supporting Member

I gave a lot of thought to the whole "smd vs. ptp" thing before I actually bought one this summer. I read every thread on the topic ever created, went back and forth, bid on some ptp E's on Ebay (didn't win), and then went back and re-read all of those old threads. In the end I bought the smd version and I haven't looked back. I'm sure there are truly "magic" ptp E's out there, it's just that I'm no longer worried about having one. Playing the E through my Twin gives me some of the most satisfying od tones I've ever had.

20. 3m3r5

3m3r5 Member

I just don't see the point of spending loads of cash on vintage handwired amps and then putting a PCB in front of it, defeats the object really?!
    My next purchase is a h/w06 one, it will be mine... oh yes...;)