• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

MY NEW EVH WOLFGANG - First Impressions & Pictures

Southerntwang

I've had my new 09' Wolfgang for 10 days now and here are my initial impressions:

1st Impression: This is a quality instrument. The fit and finish is very good and the overall craftsmanship is top notch. It feels like a hand made instrument, not a mass production guitar.

2nd Impression: The neck is an absolute work of art. I have received a few questions about the neck carve shape. I played a new Wolfie (Not mine) back to back with a New FCS Frankenstrat and I swear the back of the neck feels darn near identical. The unfinished neck and fretboard are very comfortable. I would call it a 'Medium' thickness and width. The action was hood dragging low from the factory. The vintage frets and insanely low action give it excellent playability.

3rd Impression: People will be very surprised how versatile this guitar can be. Over the past few days I played the Wolfie through a few different amps (Marshall JVM205H-Half Stack, Genz Benz Black Pearl 30, Fender Princeton Reissue). The pickups are higher output but I would not call them 'HOT' or 'DISTORTION' pickups. Both neck and bridge have a more vintage PAF style tone only higher output. The note separation and clarity is the distinguishing feature of this guitar compared to others I was considering. The new Wolfie has a clearer 'Voice' even under higher gain. I have yet to hear this guitar sound muddy under any gain or EQ setting.

I've always admired EVH but I don't consider myself a hardcore fan. I was in the market for a higher end guitar and compared the Wolfie to many before I made my purchase. A few others I played prior to my purchase:

- Hamer Talladega (Excellent guitar, extremely fine cratsmanship, chunky neck)
- Callaham S Model (The best hand made Strat I've played, wait time is long)
- PRS DGT David Grissom Signature (Sweet guitar, Neck is way to wide, pickups were a little plain for me)
- Fender Custom Shop David Gilmore NOS ($$$$, Neck was nice, excellent tone)
- EBMM Axis and SS (I liked both models, quality lower than the others I tried, More "modern" pickups, tad bit muddy)

A few interesting notes on my new guitar. It is #21 ever built (12/19/2008). I confirmed this through EVH customer service. Another interesting feature is that because it is one of the very early production models it does not have the signature 'EVH' on the tremolo base plate. Mine only has the 'Floyd Rose' script. The EVH customer service confirmed that my Tremolo was a left over from the original prototypes before the production models with the EVH were made. It took we a while to decide but I am extremely satisfied with my choice. The craftsmanship of the EVH is first class. I hope this helps anyone who might be interested.

Sorry the pictures aren't the best quality!

Thanks!

blood5150

I have these two... but I prefer the EBMM a little more.. like the neck better... Also the Wolfgang has that dumb thing where EVH wanted the switch wired backwards... so down is Rhythm and Up is Treble...

But I just got the Green one at the bottom today for $900.00, made by Fender (Charvel) USA as well.. bet it could give the new $3,000.00Wolf a run for its money!!!

Also, as for the EBMM quality being low... I have to strongly disagree with that one... never played a bad one.

But I think all of the EVH guitars have been great.. The EBMM, the peavey... havent tried the new one though.. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

blood5150

also has anyone confirmed that the new Wolfgang has 3 truss rods in it?

I heard that somewhere....

Southerntwang

The new Wolfgang has one truss rod down the middle of the neck and 2 graphite support rods running parallel to help stabilize the neck even more.

As for the EBMM having 'low quality' that's not the case at all. They are excellent guitars in their own right but night quite at the level of some of the others I tried. For the price the EBMM are a great value. I just fell in love with the new Wolfie.

Eagle1

Cool and lucky with the bridge ,you have an OFR made by Schaller instead of the EVH cheapo knockoff .

Southerntwang

The OFR by Schaller on my Wolfgang is for sure a high quality piece. My understanding is that Schaller is also making the EVH version as well.

ganzosrevenge

nice pictures, simple, yet show off the beauty of the guitar. But does it really take all that wiring to wire up a 3-way switch? It just looks over the top to me. Nice OFR, if schaller is making the EVH ones, then there may be hope yet for everyone who isn't in the first 25 or so to get a quality floyd. As for the neck, yup 2 rods surround the center truss rod to make for extra stability. I've wanted a wolfgang, but I find that they're just too perfect for me... something about so much "stability" out of the box and the fact that it doesn't need any mods just sits a bit "off" with me.

One question, are those wolfgangs very sustainy / toney, or is eddie making puffery at its very best? Also, record something with it, what's she sound like! (and how does she compare soundwise to frankenstein?)

Jason

Eagle1

Unfortunately the EVH Floyd is the Korean knock off one that is on the production Charvel.

brentrocks

Guitar Hack/Player
Platinum Supporting Member
nothing will ever replace the EBMM EVH...IMO

you new EVH is cool though, dont get me wrong

Southerntwang

Well personally I think just about everything that comes out of EVH's mouth these days is "suspect" but he was right in regards to the tone on the new Wolfgang. The tone & sustain is what sold me on this guitar. For me it lived up to the marketing hype.

tone?

so wait the guitar wood breathes better from those small exposed patches??? :rotflmao

Sorry didnt want to be an ass but that has got to be one of the silliest things i have ever heard. I though there was more exposed. Why didnt they expose the underside of where the trem springs are as well???? weird. man weird:huh

Southerntwang

You know you may be right about the 2" of exposed wood helping the tone!?!? :rotflmao (No offense taken!)

I think the voicing of the new pickups, quality of the neck, and the overall craftsmanship is the biggest thing that helps the tone.

tone?

I would hope so, or else all the big builders would have to burn all their certifications up!

Trending Topics