My new favorite Marshall cab! (OH MAR mode four, JTV-59 and Axe FX rock tones)

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitarjon, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

I was messing around with my Line6 JTV-59 Variax and the latest Axe FX Q3.00 beta HBE and BE models and I simply couldn't stop playing.
    When I paired those amp models with the new Ownhammer Mode Four Marshall cab from the upcoming 'Heavy Hitters Collection' I was just blown away by the tones so I had to write a song!

The JTV-59 has more of a Les Paul kinda vibe going on so this demo is more of a 90's rock track inspired by bands such as Incubus and Foo Fighters.
    For the intro clean tones I used the Tele model and for the more heavy stuff I just used the magnetic pickups because they are great.
    I love that this is actually a GREAT guitar even without the whole modeling thing.

I wanted to use the HBE and BE models exclusively because they just sound so damn great!
    These are the amp models and cab IR's I used for this track:

-clean tones: BE with the T75 speaker option in the Mode Four
    -rhythm tones: HBE with the V30 speaker option (dang this sounds crunchy..)
    -lead melodies: BE V1 with the EDVH speaker option.

All of those speakers sound really good by themselves though.
    The V30 is a godsend, it fits the mix so wonderfully well and pairs amazingly well with the HBE.
    The EDVH also shouldn't be underestimated, maybe I'll do a good old metal demo for that one in the future.

Anyways, hope you enjoy!

slugworth, scook, jageya and 4 others like this.
  2. hippietim

hippietim Member

That sounded great

ownhammer and Guitarjon like this.
  3. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

I can definitely hear the Incubus vibe in this track. Which is a good thing as they have always been one of my favorites. Sounds excellent!

ownhammer and Guitarjon like this.
  4. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

On a technical note; don't the Mode Four cabs have K100 speakers in them? Maybe this cab is the 280 vs the 400 model?

Guitarjon likes this.
  5. Guitarjon

Guitarjon Member

The cab that Ownhammer got had custom Marshall mode four speakers in it.
    And I also love Incubus! :) Definitely influenced by them!

6. ownhammer

ownhammer Vendor

The Mode Four cabs came in two different flavors: MF400 which had G12K-100's, and MF280 which had custom T5321 "Marshall G12 Vintage 30MF" 70 watt speakers in it made only for that cab. I have and shot the latter, and I get many more requests for Marshall 4x12's with T75's in them than K100's, so for the IR library the OP is referencing I put T75's in the Marshall and K100's in the front loaded Diezel. The V30MF's sound unique, and in my experience with the cab/speakers, absolutely excellent and fit in a modern mix effortlessly. :)

ivanh3 and Guitarjon like this.
  7. ivanh3

ivanh3 Member

A. That clip was awesome!
    B. I sort of panicked because I just returned my JTV-89F. Couldn't make it sound good for the life of me, and then I read you used the magnetic pickups for the heavy. Having said that the clean stuff that you did with the Tele sounds very thick and full. Good job.
    C. I have the AX8 along with some Ownhammer IRs, and your clip is really inspiring.

Guitarjon likes this.