My new Framus Panthera Studio Pro - Wonderfully versitle

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wrxplayer, Apr 10, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm expecting a big tax bill next week, which will force me to thin out the collection. I expect to sell a Les Paul and Brian Moore and was looking for something that has a nice humbucking sound and more.

I read an interesting review in the current issue of Guitar World of the Framus Panthera Studio Custom and was intrigued. Saw little here and elsewhere on the web, but did find a playing review on my space (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8204451), although I couldn't understand the monologue in German. There's also a super German kid schredder posting tunes played on his (http://youtube.com/watch?v=r9w-OqqBugc), and it sounded wonderful.

Finally, I happened upon a very good deal on a Studio Pro, which is the same electronically but less glitzy. I decided to take a shot.

Haven't played it much, but the features make it a very nice and versitile guitar, the build quality is excellent, and the value was very good. Two splittable SD humbuckers surrounding a SD single coil makes for many tonal possibilities. It also has a neat switch that results in the bridge pickup being wired directly, bypassing volume and tone controls. The result is a very strong and cutting lead tone.

The neck p/u doesn't sound as sweet/fat as my LP with Wolftone/Dr. Vintage pups, but I couldn't have expected that. And the single coils don't get as gritty as the Demarzio Vintage Blues pups that are on my strat copy. But again, they sound nice.

Some mentioned the thin neck in reviews. Yes, it is thin. Reminds me of the thinner necks on some SGs.

These come with a really nice gig bag. In fact its so plush I'm glad it came that way rather than w/ a HSC.

Will need a setup and more time with it to make a more informed evaluation, but early returns are positive. Check one out if you're looking for a nice guitar with a lot of sound possibilities for not a heckuva lot of money.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rob Keeler

Rob Keeler Member

Congrats on the guitar! I have a few Framus guitars and they are absolutely amazing. If you guys haven't played one.......definitely check one out.

My Custom shop Framus Panthera.
    [​IMG]

3. pennylink

pennylink Member

Oh, memories... my first guitar was a Framus acoustic (back in the 60's).

This is a great looking guitar! Congratulations. I looked though a current Framus catalogue and their guitars are first class. Excellent hardware and they are all pleked.

Look forward to a follow up report once you've had the chance to play it for a while :JAM

4. Hammertone

Hammertone Member

The Framus stuff is great - made in Germany by the same company that owns Warwick, run by Hans Peter Wilfer, the son of the guy who founded the original Framus Company. Top quality wood, hardware, build quality. Wonderful neck joint.

Sadly, they have made no headway in the US - the guitars are not cheap, the marketing is terrible, there aren't any used ones to check out, no high-profile endorsers. They are quite successful in Europe, and used ones come up on ebay.de regularly:

Here's a steal:
    http://cgi.ebay.de/E-Gitarre-Framus...yZ114464QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have an early version of this guitar that is fantastic playing and sounding.

5. pennylink

pennylink Member

Sounds like the European version of Hamer!

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member