My New Fuchs ODS30!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by klaetos, Jan 21, 2008.

1. klaetos

klaetos Member

So I finally took the plunge. I played through a Fuchs on Saturday and was just floored with the sounds. I went back today with my guitar and had them set me up in a practice room with the ODS30 Combo. Needless to say...it came home with me. It is now sitting until it warms up to room temp then I am going to go play until my fingers bleed. :RoCkIn

Mine has the Eminence RW&B and is set up with 6L6. I will be getting some 6V6 on order soon.

How about you other ODS30 owners whats your favorite settings? What 6V6 tubes do you like?

I will check back later and post some pics when my ears or fingers give out. :D

2. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

Congrats! I, too fell for the Fuchs ODS30, but in a head config. I run it thru a Jenkins Hwy 61 2x12 cab with two Celestion blues and both the cleans and overdrive tones are superb. I like mine with 2 6L's rather than the 6V's. All settings sound good to my ears! A very responsive amp!

3. hucklebee

hucklebee Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp... one of my favorites

[​IMG]

I use 6L6's for mine... gives me a little more headroom... I save the 6V6's for my #1... my beloved Germino C40

The Fuchs is like a swiss army knife for me. It does a lot of different tones extremely well.

Enjoy it!

4. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Congrats on a Great Amp!

5. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp! That didn't take long. Does the 30 have pretty good headroom on the clean side?

6. klaetos

klaetos Member

No it didn't take long at all. I got a good deal and traded in my H&K as well. There is not a ton of clean headroom. On the Jazz switch it seems to stay cleaner longer. The cleans get loud enough for what I will use it for. If I need any more I think adding the extra 1x12 cab should do it. The 50 of course would do louder clean...

The OD is awesome. From clean, to smoky blues, to classic rock to heavy rock and all out dumbley leads...so many different flavors between the Fuchs and my Carvin with the coil tap.

Here's a pic. Not the greatest photo a little blurry. About 2 1/2 hours tonight with my guitar, lavacable ELC and the Fuchs. Tonight I will sleep with a smile on my face and ringing in my ears.

[​IMG]

7. mach5

mach5 Member

Sweet rig.:BEER

8. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

LOL, no that didn't take very long at all to come home with one! Nice. As you get to know that amp, you'll be able to coax even better sounds out of it. Have fun!

9. klaetos

klaetos Member

So far I am absolutely loving this amp! Had a chance to play it last night with a full band. Incredible no matter how I dialed it. We had two vocals, drummer (playing moderate loud), keys, bass, acoustic and my electric. Only had it just a little above 9 o'clock on the master for some great rock sounds. Lots of headroom left. Had the other guitarist (he's way better then me too) play as I messed with the dials. So many great sounds in this amp!

Does anyone know if you can put el34's in this since it is cathode biased??

Andy if you are looking in..I emailed you a few questions about tube layout etc. Guessing you are pretty backed up from NAMM.

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

No EL-34's , sorry. I don't believe I saw the e-mail, I will check in the AM. Fighting my annual post-namm cold, so I'm in more of a fog than usual...:(

11. trap

trap Supporting Member

congrats on the amp. does it have the slx mod? any clips coming up?:dude

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Any amp post s/n 0300 is SLX.

13. rgee27

rgee27 Member

Very nice indeed! Andy, I must be fighting the same post-NAMM cold..:( Probably from all the hand shaking..:D

14. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Sorry. I forgot to mention my 6V6 choices... I like JJ's, and Brimar's. I've got my eye on a couple of other brands that I will be trying in the future.

As for settings, try everything at 12:00, and make small adjustments from there.

15. klaetos

klaetos Member

Mine is the SLX for sure...into the 1200's for serial #. Not sure if any of my clips can do the amp justice. I might record a few clips and see how they turn out.

Thanks jspax. I saw the other thread out there with yours, scotts and some other recommendations on settings, some great recommendations. I ended up last night with this:

input gain 11:00
    rock on
    High 1:00
    Mid 12:00
    Low 12:00
    input od 10:30
    output od 12:30
    master at 9:00 (had to roll back to about 7 on guitar volume and roll up a little for emphasis)
    Accent 11:00

Let me know how the brimars sound. I think I am going to get a quad of Tungsols on order. I am hoping to get the tube layout and will get a few other tubes to try.

What is everyone running in the other tubes (preamp etc). Are there any really good swaps for stock tubes that I should know about?

16. klaetos

klaetos Member

Hope you are feeling better! I was on TGP and one of my kids was sitting with me she thought it was cool that I could actually "talk" with the person that built my new amp. :AOK

I hadn't heard anything back on the email thing yet. I sent it to your INFO box. I sent out a pm today too you with some of the same questions.

Thanks. Really digging this creation of yours!

17. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Still not seeing the e-mail. Checked my spam folder too...weird

18. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

The ODS 30 is cathode biased?That would be cool.

19. Boomer

Boomer Member

I sent you an email on Tuesday ...

20. stuffedshirt

stuffedshirt Member

It looks to nice. You need to push down a flight of stairs to give it some character. ;)