My new G&L just arrived.............

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Jun 10, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is my first G&L. All I can say is wow! Nothing Fender makes is on par with this guitar for under $2000. (3 times what I paid for this guitar). It actually reminded me alot of this reverse headstocked Grosh I had and wished I didn't sell so I said what the Hey and bought it. Its really up to par in almost every dept. IMO. I was a little concerned about the neck shape becuase i have little to no experience with G&L but I was told by the seller that the neck was a little beefy compared to Reg Lagacys. He thinks they ran a special shape for the reverse headstock. The Neck feels Great to me. Definitely on par with a PRS wide fat. Perfect Jumbo frets..........I can't believe the value these guitars offer. The only thing I can think of that may turn people off is the look of the Fulcrum Trem. It seems to work nicely (One of the first songs I played on this guitar was SRV's Lenny) but its bulky looking........kinda reminds me of a 80's Kahler not very vintage looking at all but thats in the eye of the beholder I guess. I'm fine with it. The neck has no vintage tint and is kinda white but I guess I'll just have to provide my own with years of playing!

The Pickups are high output. I'm getting some great early ZZ Top tones on the bridge with overdrive........clean its slighty Ice Picky but I was able to fix that with a little of the tone knob dropped off.

Great Clapton/Knopfler with the Bridge/ Middle .[​IMG]

The Middle alone is very bright and to my ears sounds better mixed with the Bridge and Neck. I think they designed it this way becuase the inbetween tones are steller!

Neck/middle has a fantasic SRV Lenny Type Tone clean. Very rubbery and bouncy. I love this setting!

Neck..........what can I say? SRV would smile. :AOK Low Gain tones sound FANTASTIC. I can chug chug chugga all night long on this setting with no flabbyness whatsoever. Some High gain and it became downright violin sounding! very Low noise too BTW.

The reverse Headstock gives it just a twinge more playability. Makes string bending really easy , I'm even thinking of upgrading to 11's on this axe becuase it plays so well.

All in all this is the most bang for the buck I have experienced so far in a guitar IMO. I'm not afriad of pulling the trigger on an exceptional expensive guitar like my 52 Relic Tele but this guitar is really a fantastic bargain. If I knew for sure I could get this same neck I'd buy a few more for sure. [​IMG]

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Yeah, WOW is just the start! That's one slick looking guitar - I can almost hear it just looking at it. Congrats dude!

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Right on - beautiful!

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks! My first question to the forum if I liked the feel of the guitar was can I switch out any Pick ups into this Pick guard? But seriously..........I know I'm barely into the honeymoon here.......but I really like what I hear! I think with 11's it will only get better...............:BEER

5. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Hey Oldschool
    I have a G&L S500, which is your guitar with hotter pickups, and additional switching options of neck bridge, and all three. The G&Ls are truly outstanding. Up until now the necks have had some variance as they have been completely hand shapped. You can find Fenders as good, but you might have to pick up a few to find "the one", but with G&L if you pick up a few, the only thing you're really sorting through is "which neck really fits me perfectly", the rest of the package is a slam dunk. They are just now starting to work up some CNC rough cutting of necks so more consistency is on the way, plus there are at least 4 neck shape options (width and radius differences) to choose from if you order from the factory. You're darn right about the 2 and 4 switch position. Such tones! Love the sig line by the way, Duane was the man.

Oh and you can put any pups you want in there. Try living with the stocks for awhile. They really are amazing at producing vintage tones, but the sky is the limit. You can also get chandler G&L pickguards, so you can wire one up and swap back and forth with just soldering the ground everytime. I have a buddy who tapped the claw for a screw, so he doesn't even solder, he just unscrews one, and screws down the other.

6. xroads

xroads Member

The PUs on the G&Ls are often a hate them or love them matter. I actually liked them quite a bit - rolling off the vol and/or tone pot gives you very nice classic SC sounds, and if you need more power or presence, just turn them back up, and there you have the modern world...not for purists, but extremely flexible and simple

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I have an .011 set on my Legacy and have swapped the stock pickups (which I love!) for DiMarzio VV designs (noiseless). My number one guitar, for certain.
    The neck on mine (non-reverse) is quite hefty/wide/flat - very stable...

8. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Would it be okay to ask where you picked it up ?

It is a beauty. :AOK

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thats how I would best describe it. For now I'm really gonna keep it as is. I can't believe the spank I'm getting out of the 2 and 4 th positions. Maybe my best rythm tones to date. I'm using chords I haven't played in yrs..........:JAM [​IMG]

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for the Tips!:AOK This was your first post here in the forum? Well I'm honored and welcome! Lets see a Pic of that 500!!

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Congratulations, Old School! That's a sweet Legacy. I have an ASAT Classic Custom Semi-Hollow in tobacco sunburst, creme pick guard and pickup cover and a #1 neck with gun oil tint and an ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow mahogany body, flame maple bound top in cherry sunburst, Duncan 59 neck and Jeff Beck bridge, 3 way switch and coil tap. It has a birdseye neck and ebony fret board.

You're absolutely correct, G&L's are a fantastic deal.

Have fun! I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Greg

13. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Congrats on the G&L. I almost pulled the trigger on this auction myself, but I knew it would have led me down a path with my wife that I didn't want to go...lol.:rotflmao

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

That's a sweet looking Legacy. Congrats!

Legacys (Legacies??) are a bit bulky compared to Strats, but I like that extra wood. My Legacy is swamp ash and heavy as all ****. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

I believe some replacement pickups require re-cutting the pickguard and some don't. Check out the G&L Discussion Page and look through the FAQs or post it as a question.

I love the stock Legacy pickups. To me they are so sweet, like vintage Fender, or at least what that means to my ears. Many people don't know this, but they are as "hand wound" and authentic as any boutique pickups you can get. I swapped mine out for some slightly overwound Fralins just for a warmer sound, but sometimes I think of switching back because they really are so fine.

15. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Chandler, huh? Cool idea! Thanks!

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Lots of great Ideas here, but for now I'm leaving it alone. These in between just sound too good to mess with. Leo certianly knew what he was doing huh? :BEER

17. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

OldSchool: That's a sharp looking guitar. Good luck with it! I've never tried the strat types, but can tell you .11s are the way to go on my ASAT Classic. As far as the G&L p/u love/hate ... for me it's only love. If I ever encounter one of the chambered teles, I may not be able to resist.

18. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

Congrats on the new axe, Bud. Looks like a killer guitar!!

Allan.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I actually Prefer this guitar in the bridge position with overdrive for an early ZZ Top kinda drive. It sounds phenomenal ...............the first single coil I have ever prefered over a Humbucker in my life for this kind of Tone. I'm about to do the string change..............

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks Al! I hope in the near future maybe you can give it a test spin! :BEER