My new G&L Legacy arrived!! But with a hitch...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeep_Guy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

So my new Legacy has arrived!! I went and picked it up today. I didn't get to take a good look at it until I got home. When I did, I noticed that it had one thing I didn't order - the neck was gun oil tinted and had a gloss finish. I wanted satin. I looked over the order form that they gave back to me and it never said tint and gloss (extra options). So I guess I got it as a bonus, but I just wanted satin. I'm not crazy about the gloss feel, but I don't want to take it back and wait another 18 weeks. I wonder if I should just take it back to the shop and ask if their luthier could strip off the gloss finish and redo it like I wanted originally. Or would it not be possible since it's got the gun-oil tint for some reason, since gun oil tint/satin combo isn't available from G&L, even custom. Or would you just keep it and deal with it?

2. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

You ordered something different and did not get it. You have a right to get what you wanted. On the other hand if it is a good guitar, I would try to learn to live with it before I had a luthier mess with it. Does the gloss affect your playing or did you want it for cosmetic reasons?

3. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

I just like the feel of satin better. I'm not crazy about how gloss can sometimes feel sticky, almost plastic-y.

4. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Just lightly run ihe finish over with some steel wool ...
    you may have to do it several time to get that satin type of feel..
    But it will not be noticed at all if you ever choose to sell the axe again,,,
    Just feels like it's been played ...

Use a task cloth to finish it off that's all

5. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

West of YOW by way of CT, NY, NJ, Chicago and IN
    If you use micro - mesh on it, the neck will be as smooth as a satin finish, but still shine. It's available from Stew-Mac.

6. Lucidology

Lucidology Supporting Member

Yo Brian ...Micro Mesh ... even better!!

7. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

I sold the nicest G&L I ever owned because I couldn't deal with the gun-oil tinted neck. It was sticky and weird feeling. I don't think I could have saved that one by sanding it. Just my 2c. And I am a HUGE G&L guy.

8. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

I wouldn't go as far to say that I'd sell it because of the glossy neck. The more I sit down and play with it the less of a deal it becomes to me. Couldn't you just have a luthier strip off the gloss layer without messing up the wood?

9. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

MMMMMMMMMMM Gun Oil tint,very nice. Man thats a tough one. The thing is, even on a satin finish, the more you play, the more glossy the finish gets. I think the micro mesh is a good idea. It'll get you close and over time the neck finish will break in nicely.

10. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Send it back. It'll be worth the wait to have it the way you want it. If G&L's CS dept. is worth their salt, they'll get back to you ASAP, not 18 weeks.

I personally couldn't accept G&L's tacky tinted gloss finish, but their satin has an excellent feel - to me.

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Nah, keep it. There's work arounds. I actually like gloss necks now, used to not.

12. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

I'm keeping it. I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get onto a faster computer

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I had a Tribute for a while with a very dry, satin finish neck and I loved it. I sold it to get scratch for a used, 3 bolt kick ass Legacy. It has a fairly high gloss sheen, but it still feels pretty dry and never gets sticky or tacky at all... I LOVE IT! But, I have at least one other guitar with a dry satin when I'm in the mood for that vibe. Tough call, you waited that long and you also spent some coin as well... I bet they are good to you but if you can learn to get with it that would make things easier for sure.

14. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

Don't figure it's possible to remove the gloss and have it redone in satin, is it?

15. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

West of YOW by way of CT, NY, NJ, Chicago and IN
    Believe me if you go the micro-mesh route you don't have to go through all of this. It's as smooth as a satin finish, no redoing required. You can also get a micro-mesh kit at Woodcrafters if there's one near you.

16. sixty-four

sixty-four Member

First, be 100% sure it's a keeper. If it's not, then I would leave it stock. It's unfortunate but G&L's take a beating in resale value even in great original condition.

If it's a keeper, mod it to your heart's content.

17. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

18. gwayne

gwayne Member

+1000. Flyin' Bryan is right. I have a G&L Bluesboy that I ordered with the gun oil tint. I also prefer the satin feel so I hit it with a few passes of Micro-mesh. Feels FANTASTIC and still has the tinted look. Just do it!!

19. Jeep_Guy

Jeep_Guy Member

20. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Thats a beautiful guitar. Love it and play the crap out of it. I like the look of the gun oil, but the feel of the satin. The steel wool/micro mesh sounds like the best of both worlds.

Shawn.