• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

My new Gibson isn't running quite right.

tomkatzz

I bought a new Gibson ES 335 from a Tulsa music store. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Fender USA Strat, so I know it's not my imagination.

But the 335 won't get entirely "in tune," not like the LP or the Strat. Tonight I changed strings for the second time in two weeks, going up to 11s, and the 'G' string at the first fret is off. My Korg tuner shows it as going way past G#, but not quite to 'A.' But it's very noticeable.

I guess next week I'll take it back to the store and let their luthier look at it. I'm out of ideas.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
The G nut slot might be too shallow. If that's the problem, go up to 11s might make it even worse.

Wally1

I would bet that the nut slot on your G string is too high. Should be an easy fix. Gibson is known for not being very good at cutting the nut slots correctly. Take it to a good tech and have him check and recut all the nut slots and I'd bet this will solve your problem.

fumbler

If it's WAY too sharp at the first fret then the slot could be cut at the wrong *angle*. The string is not coming off the "front" of the nut as it should. Do you hear any sitar-like twang when playing the G open?

Another $2000+ guitar with a badly cut nut. How come they can't get this right?

bugman

i love gibsons have 4,and have had many others and dam the nuts are always bad,have two right now, but dont know a good tec who can cut a new bone nut

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
The problem? You bought a new Gibson. I hate to say it bc I'm such a huge Gibson player myself but the QC is so low right now I can't believe it.

I've picked up several high end Gibsons lately with issues right off the wall. IMHO, the only guitars that are getting some attention are the CS RIs (R7, R8, R9s, etc) and the '61 RI SG - even though the SG is a "production line" type guitar for them, its been pretty good over the last few years. I picked them up several times and loved them before finally getting mine and it may prove to be one of the best guitars I've owned.

tomkatzz

I've picked up several high end Gibsons lately with issues right off the wall.
A good guitarist could have picked up this problem in the store. I'm a novice so it's taken me a couple of weeks. Like, "Wait. That sounds kind of strange."

And only after "studying" the guitar/issue for several weeks was I able to ascertain that it indeed had a problem.

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I just put Earvana nuts on my SG and LP and it corrected most of the intonation problems; and it's inexpensive. It's really a fantastic mod! If you're going to do this though, make sure a qualified tech does the job because if it's not done right, you're in the same boat as before.

Celticdave

Seeker
Platinum Supporting Member
A good guitarist could have picked up this problem in the store. I'm a novice so it's taken me a couple of weeks. Like, "Wait. That sounds kind of strange."

And only after "studying" the guitar/issue for several weeks was I able to ascertain that it indeed had a problem.
I've done this before too - the guitar is the right color, has the right tone, feel, etc and you get all excited and snatch it up only to get it home and realize it wasn't as hot as it was in the store.

Believe me, I've been though about 15 guitars in the last few months trying to find the "right" one. I ended up with a '61 SG RI that is just great all around...

Trending Topics