my new Grosh ST

fatback

After a ten month wait, my Grosh ST showed up today.

Don did me right! Details and tone report to follow...

dwes

Wow!
Very, very nice looking guitar. I like the burst with the fat quilted figure. The scraped binding really stands out and sets the top off. I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.
Thanks for sharing,
Dave

tedwoods

Congrats!

As a happy owner of two ST's,all I can say is you're gonna love them more and more with every string change!!!

Ted

mep

Silver Supporting Member
Congratulations on your Grosh. I totally agree with Tedwoods about growing in appreciation with each string change. I love my Grosh set neck. I have only had it for about 2 months but it is already an old friend. It feels and sounds fantastic. :D

fatback

Dirk, I was confused by that also. Don uses ST to signify the serial # on the back of the headstock on the set necks. Mine says ST#065 under Don's signiture

Thanks for all the kind words fellow TGP'ers. This guitar turned out better than I ever imagined. The finish was a great surprise. I asked Don to add a red fade to his tobbacco burst and he nailed it. A fat neck (slightly bigger than Don's usual X-large carve,) and perfectly dressed 6100 frets make this a dream for me to play. The Tom Holmes humbuckers impress me as always; fat, warm, and clear. Acoustically the guitar exhibits very nice sustain and string to string clarity. It all adds up to some great tones when pushing some hot tubes. It can sound sweet through my Princeton or wail through my Sabre. It weighs in at about 8.5 lbs and is very comfortable siting or hanging on a strap.

I sold off two Historic LP's last year. After countless mods I was still unsatisfied with them. Stu at Fatsounds took great care of me with my order. Hats off to Don Grosh guitars. He has built me the no-compromise two humbucker guitar I had been searching for. Booya! :D

tedwoods

Originally posted by dirk nixon
When did they become "Grosh ST" I always thought they were just "Grosh Set Necks."

Just wonderin'.
I think the ST designation stands for standard Set Necks as opposed to custom ones.Customs have different inlays and other small differences.
Both my guitars are standards and as such carry the ST designation.
Anybody with more "inside" info,care to shed some more light into this?

Ted

mwags

fatback, sweet guitar mate, that's a great colour. Believe what the guys are saying, the longer you have it the more you will love it. I have ST# 005 and it is an amazing instrument. Now if I could only come up with the cash to get another with P-90's.

mep

Silver Supporting Member
From what I understand Don uses the "ST" designation on all set necks including the limited or custom editions. He only offers a certain amount of options on the set necks.

I almost purchased a used "set neck limited" and if I remember correctly it was ST # 031. It sold before I could make my mind up and I ended up buying ST #049. She is sweet.

1radicalron

I Played FatBacks Grosh Set Neck Last Night and It Is SWEET!!!!
Those Tom Holmes Pickups are Amazing sounding.
I am Completly Convinced that Don Grosh Builds the Best Playing and Sounding Guitars Made Today! - I Own 11 of them.

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
In a direct compare with a Historic LP, how close are they tonally??

jjhboots

Originally posted by 1radicalron
I Played FatBacks Grosh Set Neck Last Night and It Is SWEET!!!!
Those Tom Holmes Pickups are Amazing sounding.
I am Completly Convinced that Don Grosh Builds the Best Playing and Sounding Guitars Made Today! - I Own 11 of them.
Eleven Grosh guitars! I have 3 and I thought that was exceptional. I'm very happy with them all, particularly my goldtop set neck. Glad to see some Grosh love out there. BTW, how do you like the Grosh take on the classice tele?

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Grosh Bent Top Custom that is my all-time favorite Strat. So the set neck has me interested....

But I'm really looking for dead on LP tone and feel, without all the bad fret jobs, funky annoying Kluson tuners, etc.... can anyone comment on the tone and feel (I'm pretty comfortable that the feel will be phenomenal, after playing a few Groshes)

fatback

Paul is dead. Grosh, (John) buried Paul :p

Well I haven't had my ST for a week yet, but it's clear that I won't be buying any Les Pauls in my future. Why comprimise? I got exactly what I was hoping for. Don built me my dream 2 humbucker guitar; warm, articulate, great playing, and easy on the eyes. Unlike my old LP's, this guitar was done when it arrived. Nothing to change or upgrade here. Don and Stu were very helpfull through the whole proccess of getting this guitar ordered and made. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Trending Topics