My "new" Hamer Monaco

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by greggorypeccary, Jan 12, 2008.

1. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

So I replaced the stock PU's in my Monaco last summer and liked the improvement, but it still wasn't what I was looking for. Then I realized if I wanted more of a Gretch tone I had to put in some TV Jones Classics.

[​IMG]

That's the sound I was looking for! IMO, they look pretty badass too, all chrome and black! :cool:

Excuse my pointless babbling, I'm just excited about my "new" guitar, and I'm not gassing for a Gretsch anymore!

2. somecafone

somecafone Member

Although I don't own one, I love the Hamer Monaco.
    Cool idea!!!

You have to post clips. Ideally, before and after.

3. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I don't have any clips of the SD 59's, but it sounded 335ish. With a spruce top it has a very woody tone when unplugged so the TVClassics are a better match. I'll do some clips as soon - it sounds killer through my Dr. Z MazJr.!

4. brentrocks

brentrocks Guitar Hack/Player Gold Supporting Member

very classy looking...nice!!!

5. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

I did something similar to my Hamer Echotone (335 clone). I swapped the stop tailpiece for a Bigsby, had a creme pickguard made, changed the knobs to chrome dome knobs, and installed TVJones TVtrons in place of the previous set (Gibson p94 and 57 Classic). Great, great pickups!

For some "cheese", I placed a Thrush headers "Woodie Woodpecker" decal on the lower bout. Sweet guitar. Unfortunately, I sold it (and miss it).

6. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

I've been thinking about the same idea ever since I saw this at Mesa Boogie store in N. Hollywood.
    [​IMG]

And a real interesting post on Dantzig's blog about pickup selections on Hamers.

Cool!

7. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

That was my original intent when I ordered my Monaco3, but that would have taken it about $1,000 over my budget for an already tricked-out guitar. Very cool - I'm really thinking about converting the P-90s to 'Trons...you've inspired me!

[​IMG]

8. John LeQuire

John LeQuire Member

9. JimH

JimH Member

I've got P-92s in my monaco superpro. Excellent pups.

10. javahut

javahut Member

What?!?!? You're gonna replace those beautiful P90s with Filtertrons? That's :crazy !!!

Really, though... I've been gassing for a blonde Hamer Monaco III with black P90s for almost a year now... ever since I was waiting for my P90 equipped chambered Suhr Custom T to be built. I love the Suhr T and would never let it go. But, man... a Monaco III with that Bigsby and P90s would be the perfect compliment to it!

Curious how you came by that cool metallic green Monaco III, though. Did you have it painted, or is that just a rare factory color? Cool guitar! :AOK

11. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

+1. It's personal taste but I've never heard a Gretsch pickup that sounded as good as a P-90.

12. gregc

gregc Member

Javahut, you mean like this...:)
    [​IMG]

13. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your very beautiful Hamer Monaco!

14. javahut

javahut Member

Yes! Yes! Yes! I want one of those so bad I can taste it. :drool How about selling me yours at a super discount price! ;) That's a nice guitar! :AOK

There are several blonde Monaco IIIs at a few of the online stores now. Unfortunately, it wouldn't really be prudent for me to buy one right now. There's a really good deal on what must be a brand new red 2005 model at Dave's Guitars. Red must be a little harder to move. I just really want that natural blonde, though. I've wanted a good semi hollow for so long, and those Monaco IIIs just really push all the right buttons for me... makes it tough to keep from pulling the trigger on one!

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

[​IMG]
    Mon III with Lollars in jazzburst

16. javahut

javahut Member

Oh yeah... I really like that, too! Very nice! Thanks for posting!

I'd probably go for the one at Dave's Guitars if it was anything but red. :rolleyes:

17. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Hmmmm... I've been jonesing for a Monaco III for years, and I like red. And that's not a bad price.

My evil plan was to wait for all the Monaco III's sold through MF to hit the used market. Hasn't happened, at least not enough to hit bottom-feeder prices.

18. javahut

javahut Member

Man, if you like red you should jump on that one at Dave's. That's like almost half the price of most of the new ones available.

19. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

You're right, but I just shouldn't spend the money right now.

Someone warned me about this when I joined TGP a few weeks back...

20. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Javahut:

I custom-ordered that one. Added a custom Cadillac Green finish (had them match a color sample I sent in), multi-layer "Anniversary" binding all over, added binding to the back of the body, ebony board, bound f-holes, special neck carve and gold hardware.

It is a flawless guitar.