My new Hamer

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Mike_C, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I've been dreaming of this guitar for about two years. Now the dream is a reality. Monaco Superpro with f holes and bigsby Ulitimate quilt top Ruby red finish matching headstock, ebony fingerboard and ten victory inlays
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'll it plays and sounds even better than it looks! :dude

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Wow - that is gorgeous! Congrats!

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

What a beautiful guitar that we all know performs as good as a guitar can! Congratulations!

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Very nice!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!

6. VinceV

VinceV Member

Mmmmm Hamer, very nice. I am a huge Hamer fan.

7. Quinny

Quinny Member

Wow, that is a stunning looking instrument. Being a Hamer it's bound to have tone and feel aplenty too, congrats!!

Q.

8. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

Smokin! Very classy looking. I have always wanted to try one of the Monaco series. I have not found a dealer here in Big D.

How does the neck joint feel. Does the protusion of the body on the high e get in the way at all when navigating around frets 15 - 22?

9. bryanrheem

bryanrheem Member

wow. that's a beauty. tone report please!

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Cool! An archtop with a volume knob where you can get to it and use it for volume swells, priceless!

11. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

It's not really an issue. I don't play up there that often but I was able play all the way up the neck with out any significant difficulty. At least no more than play a Les Paul or similar style single cutaway.

As for Tone I'm just amazed at how versatile this guitar is the pickups (a Ducan Custom in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge) really compliment each other so I can get a Gretsch like tone in the middle position biting lead in the bridge and a really nice jazz/ bluesy tones with the neck. I've been mainly playing it clean as I get used to it but Will have a better report later in the week. So far I've been a very happy camper.

12. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

That's funny, I have a Monaco Elite and had the Custom Custom in the bridge and the Custom in the neck. I like the CC in the bridge, but the Custom was too hot, muddy and overpowering in general. I found the combo to be too neck balanced in the middle position. I am going to try a Alnico II pro in the neck leaving the CC in the bridge, many say that this is a much better combo. For $75.00 it's worth a try......BTW, nice guit!

13. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

I've really liked the 59/59 pickup combo Hamer uses for some of the 24 3/4 scale guitars. I did have to lower the neck pickup height a smidge But so far so good for what I wanted it to do.

14. Schlep

Schlep Member

Mike -

Sweet ! God, that guitar has just got to sound good. I'm not a fan of colored headstocks, but yours looks super. Droool . . .

Craig

15. RSRD

RSRD Member

Awesome guitar! I love the color too.

Not to change the thread but how do you like your elite? I've been eyeing one for awhile. Are they all mahog?

~t

16. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I really like the Elite, very good player, tones are great, etc. If you are looking for an LP style guitar, check it out. I have have PRS and Gibson single cuts and I would say that I prefer the Hamer. THe only thing that I don't like is the neck PUP. The Custom is not a good neck PUP and is way to overpowering.

17. RSRD

RSRD Member

do they weight the same as the LPs and singlecuts? 10 lbs ish?

Thanks,

thomas

18. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

I would say that it is in the same wieght league as a PRS single cut. It is Mahog body and neck with a maple top.

19. Mike_C

Mike_C Member

There are two types stock of Hamer Elites. The all mahogany bodied ones which are a great bang for the buck guitar and the Maple top Elites which are a mahogany back and figured maple top guitar. I've haven't spent any quality time playing an elite but I know guys that love theirs. The cool thing about the elites is smaller body than the superpro and gibson scale length so more les paulish.